Grab our FREE snowman count and cover mats. This fun snowman math activity is perfect for helping your students practice counting and number recognition. Use this printable math game for math centers, early finishers, or homeschool! Print pdf file with winter math kindergarten game to make learning fun for your kindergartners this December, January, and February.
Printable Math Game
How are your students progressing in their counting skills so far this year? It is quite the undertaking challenge isn’t it? We know that counting and number recognition are important concepts for young learners. But here’s the problem, we have a class full of kids all at different levels. Some students have no problems with number recognition. While others struggle to make the connection. Some children are ready to move on with math and others struggle to put numerals in the right order.
Winter Math for kindergarteners
Still there is one thing for sure. Every single one of our students can benefit from a lot of practice. And it is particularly helpful if that process involves some hands-on learning.
While it seems simple, the process of learning to count is quite complex. In fact, it brings together many skills and rules that must all be internalized. Fortunately, most our students will learn this process without too much difficulty. All they need is the opportunity to practice over and over.
As I’m sure you are aware, children learn best when they are playing. A math center provides the opportunity for children to learn while they play. So, we have created a fun math activity. It is simple game to help children practice counting and number recognition.
Take a peek at our FREE snowman count and cover mats. This printable set features 4 snowman themed count and cover mats and a set of number cards from1-10. We made one set in color, but there is a black and white version for those without color printers.
We designed the number cards for concrete learners. Numbers are an abstract concept that can be hard for young learners to grasp. They might be able to memorize the numerals, but that only takes them so far. The cards provide the opportunity for children to count the number of snowflakes.
Use these count and cover mats
- In a math center
- For early finishers.
Children can do the puzzles independently or work with a partner. You might also direct parents to this post and encourage them to print a set for extra practice at home
Setting Up The Snowman Count And Cover Mats
- Printable file (below)
- Small manipulative such as buttons, pompoms or mini erasers.
- Laminator (optional)
- Small Plastic tweezers (optional)
Print counting mats and number cards onto cardstock. Next, Laminate the pages for durability if you wish and cut apart the number cards.
How to Use the Count and Cover Mat
- Shuffle the number cards and arrange them face down.
- Give students with a count and cover mat and 20 manipulatives of choice.
- Turn over a number card. Encourage the children to count the snowflakes and say the number aloud. Direct them to locate the corresponding numbers on the count and cover mat. Each number is represented twice.
- Place a manipulative over each number. If you wish, use small plastic tweezers to place the manipulatives on the mat. It is a sneaky way to add in some fine motor practice.
- Repeat until all the cards have been counted and the mat is completely covered.
These count and cover mats are quick and easy to put together. They are a great activity for students starting to work on counting and numeral recognition.
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
Math for Kindergartners
Looking for summer math for kindergartners? You will love these fun, free resources:
- Bubble Math Worksheets
- 5 Little Monkeys Printable Counting Book
- Sandcastle Subtraction Math Craft
- Skip Counting Fall Math Worksheets
- Fishing Number Bonds Math Craft
- Crack the Code Math Worksheets
- Hotdogs Number Words Activity
- Skip Counting Constellations Printable
- Candy Corn Counting – Count and Trace Turkey Feathers
- Star Wars Number Tracing
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game
- Dinosaur Color by Number
- Snowflake Numbers- Counting From 1-100
Snowman Counting Mats
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!