Make practicing writing fun for kindergarten and first grade students with these super cute, free printable Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten. These winter writing prompts are filled with story starter ideas and pages to color with tracer lines to write about winter, snowman, and snowflake scenes. Print pdf file with writing prompts for winter and you are ready to easily add writing practice to your winter lesson plans.
Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
Winter has definitely arrived in my neighborhood! We are digging out from a large dump of snow and I can hear children laughing as they build snowmen. It is the perfect time to come up with some winter themed writing pages! These Winter Writing Prompts are such a fun, easy way to work on writing skills with kindergarteners and grade 1 students this December, January, and February.! There is something for everyone from beginners to more experienced writers. They are also versatile. Use them for quick writing practice, or for a longer writing activity. You can send them home for solo work at home or use them for group writing activities.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or hoemschooler – you will love how easy these writing prompts for winter are to add to your plans. Use them as extra practice, winter literacy activity for your classroom or use these winter printables as a supplement to your homeschool writing curriculum.
Kindergarten writing prompts
Winter writing prompts
These writing pages will encourage children to explore the wonder of winter through writing. Some will prompt the kids to engage their imaginations and write a story. Others will provide the opportunity for them to write about the wintery things their family do. The package can be used with children at a number of different skill levels! Here’s what you’ll get
- The first page has a picture of a wild and winder winter’s night. Hopefully this will stimulate the children’s imagination and encourage them to write. There are a few lines after the picture for the children to write their stories. This page is perfect for younger students who are still developing their writing skills. It might be a good idea to do some class brainstorming before writing. Ask questions like: What is going on is this picture? What would you feel, hear, see? Where do you think this is? What adventure story is happening here?
- The second page is designed for use students who are capable of writing longer stories. It has the same wintery picture, but has a lot more space for writing.
- The third page has space invites students to draw their own picture and then write write a short story. This open-ended activity encourages students to think about a specific subject, and then express their thoughts through pictures and words.
- The fourth page is another fun writing prompt engages the children’s imagination and invites them to write a story about a snowman that comes to life. What fun!
Writing prompts for winter
We’ve included two extra bonus pages just for you.
- The first page is a drawing page. Children are asked to think about their favorite winter activity and draw a picture. This would be a great activity for early finishers and would make a really nice display.
- The second is a page of winter story prompts.
January writing prompts
These wintery story prompts can easily be use with children at various levels. Children can choose a story prompt and work with it. It might be fun to have them draw an illustration as well.
If you prefer use them for group work. Give small groups of students a story prompt with to work with. Invite them to write and illustrate the story. If you prefer they could create a short skit.
Story prompts can also be used for writing journals, centers, or sent home as a homework assignment. They can also be used in tandem with an art project.
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Winter writing prompts for kindergarten
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!