This snow volcano is an EPIC winter science experiments that allows kids to make a beautiful volcano right in the snow! This winter activity for kids is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. This snow science experiments will impress kids of all ages and make science fun! Plus the Snow Volcano Science Experiment is easy to clean-up. So try this fun winter activity for kids this December, January, February, or March!
Making a volcano science project is a classic science experiment for kids that everyone should try. It combines teaching science to kids with a wow effect of a volcano science experiment. But the set-up and clean-up can be a little cumbersome. This snow volcano is a winter science activities that is simple to set-up and quick to clean-up too! Plus this winter science project gives not only a wow effect, but lots of color to a white winter scene in your backyard too.
This clever winter science experiment is sure to wow kids of all ages. Try this snow volcano for a winter activity for kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and elementary students they will never forget!
Winter Science Experiments
Start out by putting the following ingredients in a plastic cup or container:
- about 2 tablespoons dish soap
- food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water
Mix the ingredients. HINT: If you want your snow volcano to propel up use a container with a narrow top
Snow Science Experiments
Set the cup in the snow. Now push snow around the cup so you can’t see the cup anymore. You want it to form a traditional looking volcano with the top open.
Winter STEM Activity
Pour vinegar in the cup and step back to watch the beautiful chemical reaction that occurs when baking soda and vinegar mix!
Curious about the science behind the baking soda and vinegar reaction? When the baking soda meets the vinegar, carbon dioxide is created which causes the mixture to expand. Carbon dioxide is an important gas in the earth’s atmosphere. Carbon Dioxide plays a vital role in regulating the earth’s temperature. Baking soda and vinegar have an acid based reaction, which results in a gas that causes the solution to swell.
Here you can see the acid based reaction that causes our snow volcano to start erupting.
HINT: As the measurement of baking sod and vinegar isn’t exact, feel free to add more vinegar if your volcano seems lackluster.
Epic science experiments
This baking soda and vinegar science experiment is such a fun kids activity that will certainly impress preschool and kindergarten age kids plus older kids alike!
Snow Volcano Experiment
How pretty is this winter science experiments for kids? My kids oohed and awed over the volcanos for a good long while!
The middle of the snow volcano will look like a pool of colored lava, but as the color oozes down the side of your snow volcano mountain, it will seep into the snow and leave just a colored trail making it look too pretty to be true. It almost looks fake how pretty it is and how it just gets absorbed by the snow leaving only a colorful line behind. This is truly a one-of-a-kind science experiment for winter EVERYONE should try at least once!
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment, Winter Melting Snowman Experiment, snowman eruptions with Simple Snowman Science, melting Snowman Slime Recipe, and easy Exploding Snowman
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity, erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
- S is for Snowman Ideas, Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft, Plastic Snowman Cup Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Craft, Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament, LOTS of Snowflake Crafts
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe or Cute, DIY Snow globes for Kids
- Paper Plate Snowman Wreath, Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft, or suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers, , and Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Snowy Owl Babies Art , fork owl paper bag puppet, beautiful Winter Crayon Resist Art
- 100 Winter Crafts for Kids, simple fFoil Icicle Craf, Snow Textured Paint project for kids
- EPIC Snow Paint Idea, snow Shaving Cream Activities for kids, Tissue Paper Snowflakes Craft
- Easy Hot Chocolate Craft, Sticky Yarn Snowflake Craft Preschool, Felt Snowflake Art Project for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids or Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime, snow clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts, or Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers, fun Melting Snowman Slime Recipe and Activity, historic Snow Candy
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting, YUM! How to MakeSnow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers and 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables, Martin Luther King Jr Activities
- LANGUAGE ARTS – Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z, free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, preschool winter pre-writing worksheets, handy snowman writing prompts, Snowman Printables letter Find, Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets or snowman Word Family Spinners, Free Snowman Coloring Pages, printable Winter Color by Letter, Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity, Snowman Parts of Speech Winter Worksheets, Arctic Animals Kindergarten Sight Words Game, cute Hot Chocolate Game or Mitten Beginning Sounds Game, Hot Cocoa Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles, winter rhyming words activity, or these hat winter themed rhyming words puzzles, Snowflake Winter Compound Words, Self-Correcting Alphabet Game, Mitten Blend Puzzles – Winter Activities for Kindergarten, Winter Syllables Activity and Penguin Sight Word Worksheets, snowman digraph game
- MATH – Winter Math Telling Time Worksheets, Snowman Addition Clip Cards, Multiplication Snowman Activity, and Snowman Mulitiplication Puzzles, Winter Snowballs Odd and Even Games Printable, free Snowman Counting Task Cards Activity, Snowman Math Craft or this build a snowman math for practicing addition and subtraction, Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10 plus Super cute Winter Counting Worksheets and hands-on Snowman Counting Activity for young learners, plus printableSnowman Counting Book, Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles, Winter Math Activity with Snap Cube, Hot Chocolate Math – Addition and Subtraction Fact Families, Addition Mitten Math Matching game, Fraction Snowflakes Activity, Winter Colors – Penguin Matching Game or this Mitten Match Game, Mitten Winter Playdough Mats, Penguin Printable counting to 20, Winter Math Skip counting puzzles, Hundreds Chart Winter Color by Number or these more simple winter color by number worksheets, Snowman Worksheets working on place value, Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- MISCELLANEOUS – Snowman Worksheet pack, ideas in this Winter Theme, Penguin Activities, Simple Winter Coloring Pages, FREE Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers, fantastic Winter Read Alouds, fun Winter Picture Books, or these Winter Books for Preschoolers, Roll and Dab Winter Activity Sheets or these winter printables to learn color words with bingo markers, Winter Worksheets for Kindergarten and Preschoolers, Arctic Animals Worksheets, winter Birds Worksheet (huge pack!), Penguin Life Cycle WOrksheet Pages, and sequencing How to Build a Snowman Worksheets
- Tons of Kindergarten science experiments by month
- Quick and EASY Lemon Volcano or 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science and Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water) or Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries or 24 Epic Solar system science projects or this fun Simple Ketchup Volcano!
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density and Color-Changing Flowers
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments, Simple Galaxy science project, and Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane, Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project and Amazing POP rocks science experiment
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers, fun How to Make a Lava Lamp, 30 Simple machines science projects
- Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment, Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments or teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit, Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity , Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials, EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment, and Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Color Changing Slime or l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes , neat burning candle experiment worksheet answers
- Human Heart for Kids, hands-on Human Body Project, LOTS of Life Cycles for Kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment, amazing Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make orthis cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Life Size Skeletal system science project, free parts of the brain worksheet and project, fun science experiments
- Hands-on Newton’s cradle project, DIY draw bot for kids to make, playdough human body game
- EASY Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle that will WOW and LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!