This snow volcano is an EPIC winter science experiments that allows kids to make a beautiful volcano right in the snow! This winter activity for kids is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. This snow science experiments will impress kids of all ages and make science fun! Plus the Snow Volcano Science Experiment is easy to clean-up. So try this fun winter activity for kids this December, January, February, or March!
Making a volcano science project is a classic science experiment for kids that everyone should try. It combines teaching science to kids with a wow effect of a volcano science experiment. But the set-up and clean-up can be a little cumbersome. This snow volcano is a winter science activities that is simple to set-up and quick to clean-up too! Plus this winter science project gives not only a wow effect, but lots of color to a white winter scene in your backyard too.
This clever winter science experiment is sure to wow kids of all ages. Try this snow volcano for a winter activity for kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and elementary students they will never forget!
Winter Science Experiments
Start out by putting the following ingredients in a plastic cup or container:
- about 2 tablespoons dish soap
- food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water
Mix the ingredients. HINT: If you want your snow volcano to propel up use a container with a narrow top
Snow Science Experiments
Set the cup in the snow. Now push snow around the cup so you can’t see the cup anymore. You want it to form a traditional looking volcano with the top open.
Winter STEM Activity
Pour vinegar in the cup and step back to watch the beautiful chemical reaction that occurs when baking soda and vinegar mix!
Curious about the science behind the baking soda and vinegar reaction? When the baking soda meets the vinegar, carbon dioxide is created which causes the mixture to expand. Carbon dioxide is an important gas in the earth’s atmosphere. Carbon Dioxide plays a vital role in regulating the earth’s temperature. Baking soda and vinegar have an acid based reaction, which results in a gas that causes the solution to swell.
Here you can see the acid based reaction that causes our snow volcano to start erupting.
HINT: As the measurement of baking sod and vinegar isn’t exact, feel free to add more vinegar if your volcano seems lackluster.
Epic science experiments
This baking soda and vinegar science experiment is such a fun kids activity that will certainly impress preschool and kindergarten age kids plus older kids alike!
Snow Volcano Experiment
How pretty is this winter science experiments for kids? My kids oohed and awed over the volcanos for a good long while!
The middle of the snow volcano will look like a pool of colored lava, but as the color oozes down the side of your snow volcano mountain, it will seep into the snow and leave just a colored trail making it look too pretty to be true. It almost looks fake how pretty it is and how it just gets absorbed by the snow leaving only a colorful line behind. This is truly a one-of-a-kind science experiment for winter EVERYONE should try at least once!
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
Science Projects for Kindergartners
- Water Balloon Science Experiment
- Salt Crystal Hearts
- Egg Density Experiment
- EPIC Snow Volcano Science Project for Winter
- How to make Frost in a can Science Experiment
- Free Animal Habitats sticker Worksheets
- Flower Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kids
- Colorful Oil & Water Science Experiment
- Candy Science with pretty skittles, lollipops, m & m’s and more!
- Red white and blue science experiments
- Why Does it Float? (Density for Kids)
- EASY Air Pressure Experiments with an Egg for Kindergartens
- Fizzing Christmas Ornament Christmas science experiments
- Free animal habitats kindergarten worksheets with stickers!
- Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- EASY! Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Are permanent markers permanent? Paper Chromatography experiment
- Simple Bending Water Experiment
- You MUST try this pretty, impressive Glitter Volcano science project