Help kids practice identifying beginning sounds with this super cute, penguin themed beginning sounds picture cards. Pre-k and kindergarte age children will love matching the cute penguins with alphabet letters and the happy penguins with a picture of something with the same initial sound. This phonemic awareness activity is perfect for January and February for a winter theme or a valentines day themed. THis is such a fun way to reinforce letter sounds. Simply print penguin printables and you are ready for this fun litearcy activity for kindergarten.
Beginning Sounds Picture Cards
THis fun beginning sounds activity is a fun way for preschoolers and kindergartners this winter. Kids love cute little penguins so using these free penguin printable activity is sure to keep kids engaged as they practice intial sounds of words with this fun beginning sounds matching activity. Print as many sets of the beginning sounds picture cards as you need for the number of students in your class – you could also print these cards in greyscale (choose this option before you print them out). How cute is this activity for parents and homeschoolers to sneak in extra practice at home or teachers to use as a winter literacy ativity in their classrooms!
Beginning sounds matching
Need an engaging beginning sounds activity this February? These fun puzzle cards will get kids to identify the letter shown on the male penguin card, find the matching beginning sounds picture found on the female penguin and match the pieces together. Firstly, have the male penguin cards in a deck and then spread the other beginning sounds picture cards on the table. The kids will then choose a letter card, they identify the letter on it ‘b’ and then go looking for the matching beginning sounds picture card on the penguins.
Literacy activities for kindergarten
Once they find it, they take these two cards and lay them out next to each other. They continue this until all their cards are done. Another way you could play this game is print it out in greyscale with two or three pages on one sheet, then tell the kids to cut and paste the penguins into their notebooks. These will make for great keepsakes or even independent practice. Want to challenge your kids further? Play these game as a scavenger hunt! Place the beginning sound picture cards around the room and then have the kids go looking for the matching picture cards. They can do this in a group as a competitive fun game!
Ad more playful penguin activities, worksheets, and ideas to your day with these resources:
- Colors Penguin Matching Game
- Penguin Sight Word Maze
- Printable Penguins Counting clip cards activity
- Penguin Life Cycle Worksheets and themed learning activities
- Cute penguin crafts for penguin awareness day
- Fun, Penguin themed beginning sounds picture cards
- Penguin handprint craft for kids
- Counting Penguin Clip Cards
- 30 Penguin Crafts and activities for Penguin Awareness Day on Jan 20th
- Printable Penguin Shape Sorting Activity
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Super cute, Free Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets using Do a Dot Markers
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!