Grab our simple super cute, free printable Winter Writing Prompts to encourage kids to create their own winter books! You can make individual books or a whole class book. The pack of snowman writing prompts includes 10 pages of snow writing prompts lines to fill in and snowman, snowflake, mittens, kids in the snow, and other fun winter clipart. These January writing prompts are perfect for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Print pdf file with winter worksheets to make learning fun this December, January, and February.
Winter Writing Prompts
Winter has arrived bringing with it cold days and snow for many places. Unlike many adults, children seem to thrive in this season. They don’t seem to mind the cold and there is always hot chocolate, right? Why not take the opportunity to have them capture something of the season in some fun winter writing activities? We’ve created a free winter writing book to encourage your students to write about winter. Most children have experiences about winter to share. Kids this age just LOVE telling stories from their own experiences. These Winter Writing Prompts for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students provides the opportunity for them to do that.
Kindergarten winter worksheets
Snowman Writing Prompts
The book is designed specifically for children who are just starting to learn how to write. There are lots of writing prompts and helps.
It includes the following pages .
- Title page with plenty of space to create a picture
- An alternative title page with pictures. Print it on some colored paper to add some wow factor!
- An invitation to draw a wintery picture and write about it.
- A page to record their favorite winter activities
- The opportunity to describe what they wear in winter
- Two pages with snowmen activities. First they name their snowman and write a list of things they need to make it. Then they draw a picture of their snowman. These pages can be used even if you do not have snow on the ground.
- Finally there is a space for a short book review, because we love books and reading is such a great winter activity.
This is a very flexible resource. You can use the pages in writing centers or keep them for early finishers. If you don’t want to make books, just use one or two pages for writing exercises. All the pages black and white for those who do not have access to a color copier. they are really easy to prepare. Just print.
Snow Writing Prompts
- The winter book file (see below)
- Colored copy paper (front page)
- White copy Paper (inside pages)
- Pencils and crayons
- File folders
I would recommend that you do some brainstorming with the whole group. You can start by sharing some fabulous winter books. Check out our list of great winter reads.
Then invite the students to talk about winter. Ask questions like
- What do you know about winter?
- What is your favorite thing to do in the winter?
Continue the discussion by brainstorming a list of winter words. You might ask
- What words can you use to describe winter?
- What do you wear when you go outside in winter?
Write the words on a large chart or whiteboard. It might be helpful to sort them into categories. Leave the words up for the children to use when they are writing. These are such a cute and helpful free printable for both preschool / prek and kindergarten age kids!
January Writing Prompts
- Create a file folder for each child.
- Encourage students to complete the pages.
- Place the finished pages in their file folder.
- When you have finished making the books. Invite the children to sort the pages into their preferred order. Add a cover and staple the book together.
- If possible find ways to have the children to share their finished book. they could partner up and share that way or share in small groups.
Turn this into a creative writing project, by using the free winter story prompts in this post. these pages can be added into the book.
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Free Writing Prompts
- Roll a Story Free Printable, On the Farm Writing Prompts plus more Farm Writing Prompts, and printable Community helpers writing activity kindergarten
- All About My Pet Free Printable, cute Dinosaur Writing Prompts, FREE Printable kindergarten writing paper pdf, plus kindergarten writing prompts with pictures Printables, Unicorn Writing Prompts, and Lego Writing Ideas
- Creative Writing FREE Printable Wale Worksheets, jungle Animals Creative Writing about Animals, classic Fairty Tale Writing Templates pdf, and Pattern Writing
- Mother’s Day Writing Prompts for Kindergarten, FREE Pineapple Writing, may the 4th Star Wars Writing Prompts, and Fun Writing Prompts for Kids pdf
- Printable COPS writing checklist and Opinion Writing Kindergarten
- January – Winter Writing Prompts pdf, handy Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten, fun Winter Writing Worksheets, and snowman Winter Writing Prompts pdf
- February – Valentine’s Day Letter Template, free February Writing Calendar, printable February Writing Prompts Kindergarten, and February Writing Prompts
- March / Spring – March Journal Prompts with ruled lines, March Writing Prompts Calendar, 🌺 Spring Writing Prompts Calendar, Spring Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- April – April Writing Prompts Kindergarten with ruled lines, Lego Writing Prompts, free April Writing Prompts 3rd Grade, and April Writing Prompts Calendar
- May – May Writing Prompts with ruled lines, May Writing Prompts 2nd Grade Calendar
- June / Summer – Summer Writing Prompts with ruled lines, Lego Build and Tell Summer Writing Prompts, June Writing Prompts Calendar, Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- September / Fall September Writing Prompts 3rd Grade, printable September Writing Prompts with ruled lines, and 🍂 Fall Writing Prompts with word bank
- October – Columbus Day FREE Printables with ruled lines, October Writing Prompts 2nd Grade with ruled lines, Simple Halloween Writign Prompts, handy October Writing Prompts Kindergarten, and BINGO October Writing Prompts Challenge for Kids
- November – November Writing Prompts 2nd Grade with ruled lines, Thanksgiving Writing Prompts, free Thanksgiving Writing Prompts
- December – Christmas Writing Prompts, simple December Writing Prompts 2nd Grade, cute Elf Writing Prompts, printable Free Printable Christmas Stationary, and December Writing Prompts 2nd Grade
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment, Winter Melting Snowman Experiment, snowman eruptions with Simple Snowman Science, melting Snowman Slime Recipe, and easy Exploding Snowman
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity, erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
- S is for Snowman Ideas, Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft, Plastic Snowman Cup Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Craft, Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament, LOTS of Snowflake Crafts
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe or Cute, DIY Snow globes for Kids
- Paper Plate Snowman Wreath, Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft, or suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers, , and Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Snowy Owl Babies Art , fork owl paper bag puppet, beautiful Winter Crayon Resist Art
- 100 Winter Crafts for Kids, simple fFoil Icicle Craf, Snow Textured Paint project for kids
- EPIC Snow Paint Idea, snow Shaving Cream Activities for kids, Tissue Paper Snowflakes Craft
- Easy Hot Chocolate Craft, Sticky Yarn Snowflake Craft Preschool, Felt Snowflake Art Project for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids or Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime, snow clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts, or Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers, fun Melting Snowman Slime Recipe and Activity, historic Snow Candy
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting, YUM! How to MakeSnow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers and 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables, Martin Luther King Jr Activities
- LANGUAGE ARTS – Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z, free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, preschool winter pre-writing worksheets, handy snowman writing prompts, Snowman Printables letter Find, Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets or snowman Word Family Spinners, Free Snowman Coloring Pages, printable Winter Color by Letter, Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity, Snowman Parts of Speech Winter Worksheets, Arctic Animals Kindergarten Sight Words Game, cute Hot Chocolate Game or Mitten Beginning Sounds Game, Hot Cocoa Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles, winter rhyming words activity, or these hat winter themed rhyming words puzzles, Snowflake Winter Compound Words, Self-Correcting Alphabet Game, Mitten Blend Puzzles – Winter Activities for Kindergarten, Winter Syllables Activity and Penguin Sight Word Worksheets, snowman digraph game
- MATH – Winter Math Telling Time Worksheets, Snowman Addition Clip Cards, Multiplication Snowman Activity, and Snowman Mulitiplication Puzzles, Winter Snowballs Odd and Even Games Printable, free Snowman Counting Task Cards Activity, Snowman Math Craft or this build a snowman math for practicing addition and subtraction, Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10 plus Super cute Winter Counting Worksheets and hands-on Snowman Counting Activity for young learners, plus printableSnowman Counting Book, Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles, Winter Math Activity with Snap Cube, Hot Chocolate Math – Addition and Subtraction Fact Families, Addition Mitten Math Matching game, Fraction Snowflakes Activity, Winter Colors – Penguin Matching Game or this Mitten Match Game, Mitten Winter Playdough Mats, Penguin Printable counting to 20, Winter Math Skip counting puzzles, Hundreds Chart Winter Color by Number or these more simple winter color by number worksheets, Snowman Worksheets working on place value, Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- MISCELLANEOUS – Snowman Worksheet pack, ideas in this Winter Theme, Penguin Activities, Simple Winter Coloring Pages, FREE Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers, fantastic Winter Read Alouds, fun Winter Picture Books, or these Winter Books for Preschoolers, Roll and Dab Winter Activity Sheets or these winter printables to learn color words with bingo markers, Winter Worksheets for Kindergarten and Preschoolers, Arctic Animals Worksheets, winter Birds Worksheet (huge pack!), Penguin Life Cycle WOrksheet Pages, and sequencing How to Build a Snowman Worksheets
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!