Grab our simple super cute, free printable Winter Writing Prompts to encourage kids to create their own winter books! You can make individual books or a whole class book. The pack of snowman writing prompts includes 10 pages of snow writing prompts lines to fill in and snowman, snowflake, mittens, kids in the snow, and other fun winter clipart. These January writing prompts are perfect for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Print pdf file with winter worksheets to make learning fun this December, January, and February.
Winter Writing Prompts
Winter has arrived bringing with it cold days and snow for many places. Unlike many adults, children seem to thrive in this season. They don’t seem to mind the cold and there is always hot chocolate, right? Why not take the opportunity to have them capture something of the season in some fun winter writing activities? We’ve created a free winter writing book to encourage your students to write about winter. Most children have experiences about winter to share. Kids this age just LOVE telling stories from their own experiences. These Winter Writing Prompts for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students provides the opportunity for them to do that.
Kindergarten winter worksheets
Snowman Writing Prompts
The book is designed specifically for children who are just starting to learn how to write. There are lots of writing prompts and helps.
It includes the following pages .
- Title page with plenty of space to create a picture
- An alternative title page with pictures. Print it on some colored paper to add some wow factor!
- An invitation to draw a wintery picture and write about it.
- A page to record their favorite winter activities
- The opportunity to describe what they wear in winter
- Two pages with snowmen activities. First they name their snowman and write a list of things they need to make it. Then they draw a picture of their snowman. These pages can be used even if you do not have snow on the ground.
- Finally there is a space for a short book review, because we love books and reading is such a great winter activity.
This is a very flexible resource. You can use the pages in writing centers or keep them for early finishers. If you don’t want to make books, just use one or two pages for writing exercises. All the pages black and white for those who do not have access to a color copier. they are really easy to prepare. Just print.
Snow Writing Prompts
- The winter book file (see below)
- Colored copy paper (front page)
- White copy Paper (inside pages)
- Pencils and crayons
- File folders
I would recommend that you do some brainstorming with the whole group. You can start by sharing some fabulous winter books. Check out our list of great winter reads.
Then invite the students to talk about winter. Ask questions like
- What do you know about winter?
- What is your favorite thing to do in the winter?
Continue the discussion by brainstorming a list of winter words. You might ask
- What words can you use to describe winter?
- What do you wear when you go outside in winter?
Write the words on a large chart or whiteboard. It might be helpful to sort them into categories. Leave the words up for the children to use when they are writing. These are such a cute and helpful free printable for both preschool / prek and kindergarten age kids!
January Writing Prompts
- Create a file folder for each child.
- Encourage students to complete the pages.
- Place the finished pages in their file folder.
- When you have finished making the books. Invite the children to sort the pages into their preferred order. Add a cover and staple the book together.
- If possible find ways to have the children to share their finished book. they could partner up and share that way or share in small groups.
Turn this into a creative writing project, by using the free winter story prompts in this post. these pages can be added into the book.
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Printable Winter Book <<