Kindergarten literacy is a broad term that kincludes learning your letters, their sounds, beginning to read and writing. Children who work with literacy worksheets and literacy activities have a clear and strong relationship with later success in reading skills such as decoding, oral reading fluency, reading comprehension, writing, and spelling.
Since literacy is a really broad topic this page includes a variety of kindergarten literacy worksheets and activity ideas by type so you can pick the level your child is working on. Below you can find all our literacy printable activities including:
- Kindergarten alphabet – Start by learning your 26 letters and the beginning sounds each alphabet letter make.
- CVC Words and Activities – Children will learn to sound out simple 3-4 letter words using the letter sounds they’ve learned.
- Sight Word Worksheets and Activities – Sight words don’t follow rules and thus must be memorized. These words are crucial for empowering young readers as they make up more than 50% of written text!
- Word Family Worksheets and Activities – Learning to recognize similar word endings and patterns gives students the skills they need to decode words. This helps children improve reading and spelling with predictable rhying words.
- Phonics Worksheets and Activities – When its time to go beyond letters and their sounds, it is time to use phonics skills to sound out and spell more and more complex words with these literacy worksheets
- Writing Worksheets and Activities – Help children work on writing complete sentences and then their thoughts and opinions with these cut and paste activities and writing prompts.
- Reading Worksheets and Activities – Practice reading words and text and matching the word meaning, plus work on reading comprehension with these free printable reading worksheet choices.
Help children learn their abcs from A to Z in order, then work on matching upper and lowercase letters. Then learn the letter sounds and begin to identify them with fun clip it cards, initial sound puzzles, and other fun phonics games!
- Lowercase Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Pumpkin Pie Phonics Game
- Spring Alphabet Letter Matching Game
- Alphabet Worksheets Pack
- See more ABC Kindergarten worksheets and activities
Kindergarten CVC Words
Now that your kindergartner knows their letter sounds, it is time to put the skill to work to form simple CVC words! These fun cut and paste cvc worksheets, cvc activites using dot markers, and cute cvc word games are perfect for practicing!
- CVC Words Cut and Paste short a booklet
- CVC Bump Game
- Airplace CVC Dab and Read
- Star Wars CVC Games
- See more Kindergarten CVC Words
Kindergarten Sight Words
Looking for more fun, engaging and free kindergarten sight word activities, games, and worksheets? Check these resources out:
- Hands-on Gingerbread Sight Word Activity
- Train Sightwordsgame
- Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets
- Pumpkin Sight Words Game
- See more Kindergarten Sight Word Activities
Word Families Kindergarten
Recognizing word families allow young children to learn to spot patterns, identify root words, and understand their common meanings or sounds. This will help kids improve reading fluency and spell better too!
- Lion Word Family Rhyme and Punch
- Turkey Word Family Feather Sort
- Spring Bubble Word Family Sort
- Word family Film Strip Printable
- More word family activities
These free printable literacy worksheets are a great way to go beyond ABC worksheets to really work on reading, writing, and spelling. These kindergarten literacy worksheets include CVC Word worksheets, rhyming worksheets, word family worksheets, sight word worksheets, and lots of phonics worksheets too. Use these kindergarten worksheets with pre-k, K4, K5, and first grade students.
- Beginning R Blend BINGO
- Summer Literacy Worksheets
- Rhyming Activity for Kindergarten
- Rhyming Words Worksheets
- Synonym Worksheets
- Words that end in SH
- Beginning Sounds Worksheets
- Homograph Games
- See more Literacy Worksheets
Kindergarten Reading Worksheets
Make sure you encourage reading 30 minutes a day to model reading while working on increased vocabulary and literacy skills. Then work on reading comprehension with these simple reading worksheets for your kg class.
- Plant Life Cycle Emergent Reader
- Fairy Tale REading Comprehension Worksheets
- Phoneme Segmentation Activity
- Farm Cut and Paste Sentences
- See all Kindergarten Reading Worksheets
Kindergarten Writing Worksheets
Once your child knows their ABCs, it is time to work on some phonics skills! These english worksheet for kg allow children to put letters together to make simple words and sentences. Then practice putting sentences in order, adding correct capital letters and punctuation, and writing short paragraphs and stories. We’ve includded lots of creative writing prompts ans story starters to make sure kids have something to write about once they are capable.
- CVC Read and Write Activity
- Kindergarten Opinion Writing: A 4-Step Process for Success
- All about my pet free printable
- Pattern Writing for Kindergarten: A Easy Literacy Activity To Encourage Young Learners
- See more Kindergarten writing worksheets
Kindergarten Literacy Worksheets
These literacy worksheets help get preschoolers, kindergartners and grade 1 students reading, writing, and spelling. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, you will love these handy worksheets for kindergartners to work on reading and language arts skills. Keep scrolling to see all our free printable kinderagren worksheets to make learning effective, affordable, and FUN!