We made these super fun and easy Folded Paper Icicles Ornaments today and they turned out so good! I can’t wait to show you how to make icicles to hang on as a Christmas tree ornaments or use them as a window decorations for winter! All you need are a few simple materials to help toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students make these diy icicle ornaments.
Decorate your tree with shimmery paper icicles to add a pretty decoration to your Christmas tree or windows to celebrate winter in December, January, and February. This winter craft for kids is perfect to make with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students! You will love making these pretty icicles with kids.
Now, these are pretty glitter icicles for kids to make. Glitter makes everything better, right? I KNOW it’s messier than many people would like but honestly it isn’t THAT bad. There are a few ways that I have always had success cleaning up glitter: a vacuum, lint roller, packing tape or work over a poster board and dump the glitter when you’re done. If you’re absolutely opposed to glitter, these would still be super cute with the glitter left off!
How to make icicles out of paper
To make these diy icicle ornaments, we only used a few supplies:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- White Glue
- Paper Plate
These icicles may be done by younger children, but I think middle and older elementary kids would absolutely love to make these and could with little to no help.
Easy Christmas crafts for kids
To start we cut long, skinny triangles from the paper. We used both cardstock and construction paper and the turned out the same – so it doesn’t matter!
Take your white glue and put a strip on one side towards the widest side of the triangle. You only need about an inch long strip. Place your second strip perpendicular to the strip with the glue on it. It should create an L shape.
Christmas ornaments for preschoolers to make
From here, flip the L over. Start folding the paper back and forth until you reach the end. You can glue the ends if you’d like, but I found that it didn’t stay. So I ended up not continuing that part of it.
When the icicle is formed, pour some glitter onto a paper plate. Then, put glue along some of the edges. We did it all the way down on two sides, one side at a time. Once the glue is on, you can dip it into the glitter. Our glue came out a little quickly, so the strips were thick. I had to rock the icicle back and forth in the glitter to make sure the glue was covered. But it looked super cool when the glue dripped down slightly, it looked like part of the icicle had melted.
Set the icicle aside and let the glue dry.
DIY Ornaments for Kids
Once it’s dry, I took a pencil and poked a hole into the top of the icicle. I created a loop with a piece of yarn, and tied a not to the bottom. I slid the yarn loop side first up through the hole, so that the knot would keep it from sliding through. Now we have ornaments!
These will be so very cute on the Christmas tree but also would be adorable as a garland in front of a window or on a wall. They are so cute and kids will love making them!
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Arctic Animal Worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats