Now that winter will be here soon, bring the fun of winter indoors without having to put on mittens. This fun frost in a can project is a classic winter science experiment for kids that toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders love to make over and over again. The how to make frost activity is simple enough that children can do it with ease, and it is also classroom friendly.
Frost in a Can
Making frost in a can is a fun science activity for kindergarten kids. Kids will love that they can try this frost experiment at home without getting cold. Try this how to make frost project with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This is such an engaging, easy winter science experiment perfect for December, January, and February.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this salt and ice experiment is a simple science experiment to teach kids how does frost form.
To try this simple frost experiment you only need a few simple materials you probably already have at your home.
How to make frost
Fill the can up with ice, then fill it about halfway with water. Now show the kids how to sprinkle salt in the can, then cover the top.
Salt and ice experiment
Frost will start forming on the outside of the can. If you think your frost needs a little help, try adding a bit more salt or shaking it up a bit more.
How does Frost Form
Condensation forms when the temperature inside the can varies drastically from the temperature outside the can. When you use ice and lower the melt point of the ice, the process happens faster and more drastically, causing frost to form on the outside of the can. Make sure you see all our Kindergarten Science Activities!
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment, Winter Melting Snowman Experiment, snowman eruptions with Simple Snowman Science, melting Snowman Slime Recipe, and easy Exploding Snowman
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity, erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
- S is for Snowman Ideas, Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft, Plastic Snowman Cup Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Craft, Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament, LOTS of Snowflake Crafts
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe or Cute, DIY Snow globes for Kids
- Paper Plate Snowman Wreath, Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft, or suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers, , and Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Snowy Owl Babies Art , fork owl paper bag puppet, beautiful Winter Crayon Resist Art
- 100 Winter Crafts for Kids, simple fFoil Icicle Craf, Snow Textured Paint project for kids
- EPIC Snow Paint Idea, snow Shaving Cream Activities for kids, Tissue Paper Snowflakes Craft
- Easy Hot Chocolate Craft, Sticky Yarn Snowflake Craft Preschool, Felt Snowflake Art Project for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids or Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime, snow clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts, or Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers, fun Melting Snowman Slime Recipe and Activity, historic Snow Candy
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting, YUM! How to MakeSnow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers and 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables, Martin Luther King Jr Activities
- LANGUAGE ARTS – Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z, free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, preschool winter pre-writing worksheets, handy snowman writing prompts, Snowman Printables letter Find, Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets or snowman Word Family Spinners, Free Snowman Coloring Pages, printable Winter Color by Letter, Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity, Snowman Parts of Speech Winter Worksheets, Arctic Animals Kindergarten Sight Words Game, cute Hot Chocolate Game or Mitten Beginning Sounds Game, Hot Cocoa Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles, winter rhyming words activity, or these hat winter themed rhyming words puzzles, Snowflake Winter Compound Words, Self-Correcting Alphabet Game, Mitten Blend Puzzles – Winter Activities for Kindergarten, Winter Syllables Activity and Penguin Sight Word Worksheets, snowman digraph game
- MATH – Winter Math Telling Time Worksheets, Snowman Addition Clip Cards, Multiplication Snowman Activity, and Snowman Mulitiplication Puzzles, Winter Snowballs Odd and Even Games Printable, free Snowman Counting Task Cards Activity, Snowman Math Craft or this build a snowman math for practicing addition and subtraction, Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10 plus Super cute Winter Counting Worksheets and hands-on Snowman Counting Activity for young learners, plus printableSnowman Counting Book, Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles, Winter Math Activity with Snap Cube, Hot Chocolate Math – Addition and Subtraction Fact Families, Addition Mitten Math Matching game, Fraction Snowflakes Activity, Winter Colors – Penguin Matching Game or this Mitten Match Game, Mitten Winter Playdough Mats, Penguin Printable counting to 20, Winter Math Skip counting puzzles, Hundreds Chart Winter Color by Number or these more simple winter color by number worksheets, Snowman Worksheets working on place value, Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- MISCELLANEOUS – Snowman Worksheet pack, ideas in this Winter Theme, Penguin Activities, Simple Winter Coloring Pages, FREE Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers, fantastic Winter Read Alouds, fun Winter Picture Books, or these Winter Books for Preschoolers, Roll and Dab Winter Activity Sheets or these winter printables to learn color words with bingo markers, Winter Worksheets for Kindergarten and Preschoolers, Arctic Animals Worksheets, winter Birds Worksheet (huge pack!), Penguin Life Cycle WOrksheet Pages, and sequencing How to Build a Snowman Worksheets
- Tons of Kindergarten science experiments by month
- Quick and EASY Lemon Volcano or 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science and Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water) or Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries or 24 Epic Solar system science projects or this fun Simple Ketchup Volcano!
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density and Color-Changing Flowers
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments, Simple Galaxy science project, and Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane, Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project and Amazing POP rocks science experiment
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers, fun How to Make a Lava Lamp, 30 Simple machines science projects
- Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment, Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments or teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit, Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity , Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials, EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment, and Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Color Changing Slime or l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes , neat burning candle experiment worksheet answers
- Human Heart for Kids, hands-on Human Body Project, LOTS of Life Cycles for Kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment, amazing Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make orthis cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Life Size Skeletal system science project, free parts of the brain worksheet and project, fun science experiments
- Hands-on Newton’s cradle project, DIY draw bot for kids to make, playdough human body game
- EASY Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle that will WOW and LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!