If your kids love the traditional baking soda and vinegar eruptions, they are going to love this snowy version! This Erupting Melted Snow is just a few more ingredients but the results are foamy, sparkly and fun! Toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students will love this winter science experiment. Use this as a winter activity for kids or a way to sneak in some learning with winter science.
Winter science experiment
The traditional eruption of baking soda and vinegar is fun, but we thought it would be fun to take it up a notch. One thing to keep in mind is that while the traditional eruption is quick, this takes a few seconds longer to erupt which helps build up the excitement. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will want to try this winter science experiment with your toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. All you need are a few simple materials to try this snow science experiments
Don’s miss this EASY and FUN winter activities for kids.
Winter science activities for preschoolers
All you need are a few simple supplies to try this winter eruptions science project.
- Vase or Jar
- 1 cup of water
- 6 oz baby oil
- 1 tbs white paint
- Alka Seltzer tablets (we started with 2 but ended up using 8)
- Glitter & Sequins
Snow science experiments
To try this winter science activities simple start by pouring water into the jar. Next add the white paint and stir.
Add in the baby oil and stir again. Add the glitter or sequins (or both) and give it one last stir.
Next break up the Alka Seltzer tabs. Start with 2. Toss them in and wait. It only takes 5 or so seconds, but then it starts moving all on it’s own. It’s like a snowy, glittery dance in a jar.
Winter activities for kids
When the dancing slows down, add more tablets. The foam will rise and the dancing will continue. Continue this process until your snow starts erupting over the side of the jar. The time and number of tablets it will take depends on the size of your jar or vase.
Once it starts pouring over the side, be ready for the squeals. It is incredible. It’s so pretty, so magical and natural. We loved it!!
Ironically, this is not the experiment we set out to do, but it turned out so amazing. This is the perfect example of why when something doesn’t work exactly right, it is okay. Something else great
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
Baking Soda Vinegar Experiment
There are so many fun ways to play and teach kids about chemical reactions using a baking soda and vinegar reaction. Here are some of our favorite baking soda and vinegar activities.
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF! Rocket Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Look Inside a Volcano Experiment for Kids
- Science Play – Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
- Glitter Volcano Pretty Science Experiment
- Science Powered Boats with Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Rainbow Activities for Preschoolers
Baking soda and vinegar reaction
- Snow Volcano Experiment
- Melting Snowballs Winter Science Experiment
- Exploding Snowman Experiment
- Melting Snowan Winter Science Experiment
- Erupting Snowman Science
- Snow Science Experiments
- Valentines Day Science Love Potion
- Easy Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Valentines Day Baking soda and vinegar balloon
- Leprechaun Rocks St Patricks Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Color Mixing St Patricks Day Activity for Toddlers
- Red White and Blue Science Experiments
- Dancing Candy Canes Science Project
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Melting Christmas Tree – Christmas science experiments
- Fizzing Gingerbread Science Experiment