If your kids love the traditional baking soda and vinegar eruptions, they are going to love this snowy version! This Erupting Melted Snow is just a few more ingredients but the results are foamy, sparkly and fun! Toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students will love this winter science experiment. Use this as a winter activity for kids or a way to sneak in some learning with winter science.
Winter science experiment
The traditional eruption of baking soda and vinegar is fun, but we thought it would be fun to take it up a notch. One thing to keep in mind is that while the traditional eruption is quick, this takes a few seconds longer to erupt which helps build up the excitement. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will want to try this winter science experiment with your toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. All you need are a few simple materials to try this snow science experiments
Don’s miss this EASY and FUN winter activities for kids.
Snow science experiments
All you need are a few simple supplies to try this winter eruptions science project.
- Vase or Jar
- 1 cup of water
- 6 oz baby oil
- 1 tbs white paint
- Alka Seltzer tablets (we started with 2 but ended up using 8)
- Glitter & Sequins
Fun Winter Science Experiments
To try this winter science activities simple start by pouring water into the jar. Next add the white paint and stir.
Add in the baby oil and stir again. Add the glitter or sequins (or both) and give it one last stir.
Next break up the Alka Seltzer tabs. Start with 2. Toss them in and wait. It only takes 5 or so seconds, but then it starts moving all on it’s own. It’s like a snowy, glittery dance in a jar.
Winter science activities for preschoolers
When the dancing slows down, add more tablets. The foam will rise and the dancing will continue. Continue this process until your snow starts erupting over the side of the jar. The time and number of tablets it will take depends on the size of your jar or vase.
Once it starts pouring over the side, be ready for the squeals. It is incredible. It’s so pretty, so magical and natural. We loved it!!
Ironically, this is not the experiment we set out to do, but it turned out so amazing. This is the perfect example of why when something doesn’t work exactly right, it is okay. Something else great
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats