Aren’t you always curious how much snow you actually get? My kids are too. This fun winter stem activity is a great way for children to learn how to measure snowfall with a fun winter science experiment. Start out measuring marshmallows, cotton, or water and then use with winter science to top relying on the weather reporter, but I figured it was time that we measured it on our own. So we made a Snowman Measuring Jar. It’s not only cute but it is functional! THis is a fun winter activity for kids from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Winter Stem Activities
This winter stem activities for kindergarten is a cute snowman jar is an adorable snowman jar craft taht collects snow AND it will also help teach kids all about volume and inches. This fun stem winter activities is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this winter activity for kids is perfect for sneaking in some practical skills into your learning. This is a great winter math activity for teaching measurement, using a ruler, and volume for kids.
How to Measure Snowfall
Leave a container out in the open to collect any snow that accumulates in the cold, winter months. Snowfall is measured to the nearest tenth of an inch. You will use a ruler or measuring tape to determine the greatest amount of snowfall that has accumulated in your snowman winter craft since the last observation.
For this activity you can measure actual snow or you can measure marshmallows, water, cotton balls, etc.
Snow Science Experiment
To start, you need to decorate the jar to look like a snowman. We used:
- Mason jar
- Black construction paper
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Brown & Orange Felt
- Googly Eyes
- Red Ribbon
- Blue Pom Poms
- Silver pipe cleaner
- Black construction paper
- Single hole punch
- Ruler – if no ruler: A dowl & marker.
Winter STEM Activities
To make this winter STEM project, you will start by turning your mason jar into a cute snowman. We cut out the the hat and the nose first, from the felt. I have learned that cutting felt is super easy when you have a good pair of scissors.
I noticed that the hat was floppy, so it wouldn’t stand up straight when we glued it onto the jar. So I took a pipe cleaner, cut it to size and hot glued it to the back of the top of hat. Then you can mold and bend it however you want. I also glued a pipe cleaner across the front of the hat like a ribbon.
Next we glued on googly eyes and the nose.
The coal for a mouth was created with a single hole punch and black construction paper. We hot glued these on too.
We used red ribbon and wrapped it around multiple times to create the effect of a scarf.
The buttons are made from blue pom poms.
Winter Activities for Kids
If you have a ruler you can stick it inside the jar. If you don’t, we created one by putting inch and inch and a half marks on a dowel with a marker.
You can set it outside as soon as you are done or when you know that it is going to snow. Once it snows, the jar will fill up. You can measure how much snow you received by checking the marks on the dowel or the ruler. You can also measure the volume by checking the marks on the side of the mason jar. It will show in cups or ounces- or both.
You can take it one step further, also. Bring the jar inside, with the snow inside.
The heat of your home will melt the snow. You can then show children the difference between the frozen snow and the melted snow (water). The inches will be different as well as the volume. You can even ask your children to create a prediction based on how much show you are ‘supposed’ to get and how much they think it will melt into.
This is a cute craft turned STEM activity!
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment, Winter Melting Snowman Experiment, snowman eruptions with Simple Snowman Science, melting Snowman Slime Recipe, and easy Exploding Snowman
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity, erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a can- Winter Science Experiment
- S is for Snowman Ideas, Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft, Plastic Snowman Cup Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Craft, Adorable Keepsake Snowman Handprint Ornament, LOTS of Snowflake Crafts
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe or Cute, DIY Snow globes for Kids
- Paper Plate Snowman Wreath, Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft, or suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers, , and Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Snowy Owl Babies Art , fork owl paper bag puppet, beautiful Winter Crayon Resist Art
- 100 Winter Crafts for Kids, simple fFoil Icicle Craf, Snow Textured Paint project for kids
- EPIC Snow Paint Idea, snow Shaving Cream Activities for kids, Tissue Paper Snowflakes Craft
- Easy Hot Chocolate Craft, Sticky Yarn Snowflake Craft Preschool, Felt Snowflake Art Project for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids or Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime, snow clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts, or Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers, fun Melting Snowman Slime Recipe and Activity, historic Snow Candy
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting, YUM! How to MakeSnow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- Chilly Snow Dough Antarctica Activities for preschoolers and 30+ January Activities for Kids
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables, Martin Luther King Jr Activities
- LANGUAGE ARTS – Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z, free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, preschool winter pre-writing worksheets, handy snowman writing prompts, Snowman Printables letter Find, Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets or snowman Word Family Spinners, Free Snowman Coloring Pages, printable Winter Color by Letter, Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity, Snowman Parts of Speech Winter Worksheets, Arctic Animals Kindergarten Sight Words Game, cute Hot Chocolate Game or Mitten Beginning Sounds Game, Hot Cocoa Winter Rhyming Words Puzzles, winter rhyming words activity, or these hat winter themed rhyming words puzzles, Snowflake Winter Compound Words, Self-Correcting Alphabet Game, Mitten Blend Puzzles – Winter Activities for Kindergarten, Winter Syllables Activity and Penguin Sight Word Worksheets, snowman digraph game
- MATH – Winter Math Telling Time Worksheets, Snowman Addition Clip Cards, Multiplication Snowman Activity, and Snowman Mulitiplication Puzzles, Winter Snowballs Odd and Even Games Printable, free Snowman Counting Task Cards Activity, Snowman Math Craft or this build a snowman math for practicing addition and subtraction, Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10 plus Super cute Winter Counting Worksheets and hands-on Snowman Counting Activity for young learners, plus printableSnowman Counting Book, Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles, Winter Math Activity with Snap Cube, Hot Chocolate Math – Addition and Subtraction Fact Families, Addition Mitten Math Matching game, Fraction Snowflakes Activity, Winter Colors – Penguin Matching Game or this Mitten Match Game, Mitten Winter Playdough Mats, Penguin Printable counting to 20, Winter Math Skip counting puzzles, Hundreds Chart Winter Color by Number or these more simple winter color by number worksheets, Snowman Worksheets working on place value, Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- MISCELLANEOUS – Snowman Worksheet pack, ideas in this Winter Theme, Penguin Activities, Simple Winter Coloring Pages, FREE Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers, fantastic Winter Read Alouds, fun Winter Picture Books, or these Winter Books for Preschoolers, Roll and Dab Winter Activity Sheets or these winter printables to learn color words with bingo markers, Winter Worksheets for Kindergarten and Preschoolers, Arctic Animals Worksheets, winter Birds Worksheet (huge pack!), Penguin Life Cycle WOrksheet Pages, and sequencing How to Build a Snowman Worksheets