Kids will have fun playing in the winter wonderland with this fun painting in the snow activity! For this super simple and EPIC winter activity for kids all you need are a few simple materials you probabaly already have on hand. So grab your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grader for a fun snow activity for kids!
Painting in the Snow
When the snow comes, it’s quintessential to make a snowman, have a snowball fight and of course make snow angels. When the snow sticks around for days upon days, though, my kids want more snow activity ideas. They want more fun in the snow that isn’t snowmen and snowball fights. Since we love all things art and creating, I thought it would be fun to be snow artists. I wasn’t quite sure how it would turn out, but to my surprise this Easy Snow Painting activity was perfect. Try this painting in the snow project with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1 and grade 2 students. This will be a kids winter ativity they remember into adulthood.
Winter Activity for Kids
It is super super simple to prep the snow paint and we had a blast! You’ll need:
- Squeeze Bottles
- Food Coloring
- Pitchers (optional)
Snow Activity for Kids
So to start, grab the squeeze bottles. How ever many colors you want to use, is how many squeeze bottles you need. We added the food coloring first, because it is the gel type. I wanted to make sure it mixed in enough, so we put that in the bottles first then filled them up with water.
Leave a little room so you can shake. Then put the lids on and shake them up.
I mentioned the pitchers. If you have multiple kids and you think that more color solutions will be needed, than what can fit in each individual bottle. You could make up pitchers worth and then just add to the bottles when they are empty.
Snow painting easy
When you’re ready, head out to the snow with your snow paint.
Find the space on the snow you want to paint, your canvas, if you will, and squeeze. We started gently at first, I wasn’t sure if the water would instantly melt the snow or what would happen. It was cold enough that this didn’t happen.
What did happen was we were able to create art on the snow!
Easy snow painting
As you can see, drawing single lines, like spelling a name, didn’t show up super well, but it was still fun.
What did work really well was abstract art. This is a perfect activity to teach children about abstract art and how there isn’t necessarily a rhyme or reason to why you are doing what you’re doing, but in the end it turns out beautiful.
Another option, is to bring out a cookie sheet and use this as your canvas. Put snow on it, you can even pack it down some, and use this to paint on. It turned out really well doing it this way. I think because the snow was more packed in than when it is just naturally on the ground.
The cookie sheet method is also a great idea if it is too cold outside for your kids. Bring the snow inside, on a cookie sheet and let them paint it. Put the whole thing in the bathtub to control any spilling and mess, but they can still create on the snow without being outside.
Another options is to bring buckets full of snow inside and put it in the bathtub. They can play a ton with that, without the cold of the outdoors.
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable