Teach kids how to measure rainfall with this homemade rain gauge. This DIY Rain gauge is simple and fun to make with kids of all ages from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten to elementary age students in first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade too. Use this how to make a rain gauge as part of a kindergarten weather unit!
homemade rain gauge
Do your kids like rainstorms? We don’t get a ton of rain here so when we do, it is so fun! We like to play in it too, when it’s not thunder and lightning. The part that makes me the most excited, though, is when we can turn rainstorms into a STEM activity! Our latest is this fun Flowerpot Rain Gauge. This homemade rain guage is the perfect addition to a weather lesson plans kindergarten. Use this
I’ve looked for fun rain gauge ideas and found a ton that are made from water or soda bottles. That is a genius way to recycle and make an easy rain gauge, but I wanted something a little more elevated. Something that would look super cute in our backyard or our garden!
diy rain gauge
I was walking through the craft aisles and saw a flower pot and thought YES! This is what I want to use. So i bought one, brought it home and we continued to decorate it and turn it into a rain gauge. It is important to note that the smaller pot that I bought, does NOT have a hole in the bottom. I’m not sure how you’re supposed to water flowers that way, but it works perfectly for this project!
Supplies that you’ll need are:
- Flower Pot
- Pencil (optional)
- Big Popsicle Stick
how to make a rain gauge for kids
We drew on some of the designs with a pencil first. Then traced over it with the sharpie. This made it super helpful for my daughter to complete it and have it look nice the way she wanted it to. We drew a sun, some clouds and raindrops covering the rest.
Next, we took a big popsicle stick and used a sharpie to write marks for ½ inch and 1 inch. All the way up.
Then we stuck the popsicle stick down in the pot and it’s ready for next time it rains. We will be able to go out and actually see how much rain we have gotten.
What does a rain gauge measure
This helps children with measurements, reading a ruler, and understanding how the rain typically goes down into the ground, or makes a puddle, but it is hard to measure it. It is nearly impossible to measure unless you have a rain gauge. Yes, you can buy one, but this way is so much more fun!
Brainstorm with your kids why they would want to measure the rain? How about so you know if you need to water plants!
Weather for Kindergarten
Whether you use this weather lesson plans kindergarten or as a fun weather theme for elementary age students, you will want to check out these other fun, and FREE, resources for teaching kids about weather:
- Free Printable Seasons Worksheets w/ Season Wheel Printable
- Cloud for Kids
- Hibernation preschool activities learning about weather
- Severe Storms for Kids – includes tornado in a bottle, what to do in an emergency, and storm worksheets for kids
- How to Make a Weather Vane – easy weather science project for elementary age students
- Lots of fun ideas for a weather theme this week
- Beautiful Bleeding Tissue Paper Rain Craft
- Rainbow Worksheets for Kids
- Rainbow Density Science Experiment
- How big is a raindrop science activity
- Clever Rain Craft for kids to make
- Simple Air Pressure Experiments for kids
- Lots of weather printables to help kids learn about weather terms whil epracticing math and literacy skills
- HUGE Free Printable Weather Unit for lower elementary age children – activities, weather worksheets, and more
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- Ice Cream Volcano – fun ice cream activity for summer!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- DIY Water Xylophone Activity – Sound Science Experiment for Kids
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blood for Kids – Activity to learn about the Human Body
- Fun-to-play with Fluffy Slime Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Scented, Watermelon Kool Aid Play Dough Recipe for summer
- Watermelon Volcano Experiment – Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Watermelon Slime Activity for Kids
- Human Heart for Kids: 2 Fun Heart Models plus Worksheets
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Airplane Pool Noodle Craft
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Kids
- Drop & Paint – Water Balloon Painting Activity
- EASY Stained Glass Pasta Art for Kids
- Simple Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Free Beach Worksheets for Kids
- Chromatography Butterflies – EASY Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Silly Bandaid Art Craft for kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Kids will be amazed at the l-o-n-g colorful bubble snakes they can make with this easy activity
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- 20+ Printable Roadtrip Games
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- EASY, Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint for Kids
- Color-Changing Flowers – Capillary Action Science Experiment
- DIY Water Xylophone Activity – Sound Science Experiment for Kids
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle – exploring magnets with kids
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Umbrella Color Sorting Activity with Fruit Loops
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Umbrella Letter Matching Activity
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners