Help kids practice identifying American money while learning coin names of penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and their value with this free printable coin sorting mat. This money activity is perfect for teaching and practicing identifying money with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students in math.
Coin Sorting Worksheet
The first step in knowing how to count coins is for the child to be able to identify which coin is which. Once they are able to identify which is which, knowing their values is important. These coin sorting mats and money printable are perfect for helping with the whole process. Preschoolers, kindergarten, and grade 1 students can use the coin sorting worksheet over and over and keep practicing coins until they are masters!
Coin sorting worksheet free
Coin sort worksheet
This Coin Sorting Mat and Activity set is perfect for kids who are just learning and exploring coins as well as kids who have been introduced to coins earlier. This set focuses on pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.
The first step is to print the mats and activity pages. To ensure that these mats can be used over and over, my suggestion is to laminate the pages. This is not required, though.
Coin sorting mat printable
Start by setting out the coin sorting mat. This has four quadrants: penny, nickel, dime, quarter.
Give your child a pile of coins and ask them to sort the coins into the correct sections. This can be done with as little or as many coins as you’d wish. The remaining pages are focusing on counting coin practice. Each quadrant has a different price. The denominations are all under $1.00.
Coin sorting mat
Give the child the same pile of coins and ask them to count the correct number of coins that equal the number in the first square. When this is done, move onto the second square, then the third and finally the fourth. This can be done for all of the pages. There is also a blank page, with just the border and squares. This way you can create your own amounts.
Other Ideas You can also ask the child to create as many ways to equal the number in each square. For example, if the number is 38 cents. The child can do 1 quarter, 1 dime and 3 pennies or 1 quarter, 2 nickels and 3 pennies, etc.
Looking for more fun, free printable Counting Money Worksheets and games to make practicing counting American money.
- Color by Coin Worksheet
- Money Booklet for learning about American money
- Hungry Caterpillars Counting Money Game
- Mini Golf Money Practice
- Counting Coins Games Clip Cards
- 25 Fun Money Games
- Coin Puzzles – Printable Money Games
- Carnival Subtracting Money Games
- Robot Counting Money Practice
- 25 Money Math Games
- Grocery Store Money Task Cards
- Parts of a Dollar flip Book
- Bankable Counting Money Activities
- Cut and Paste Money Worksheets
- See all of our many Money for Kids activities for young learners
Math Activities for Kindergarten
Looking for more early math activities to make learning to count, add, shapes, and more FUN? Check out these free resources:
- Super cute Big and Small Worksheets
- Small Smaller Smallest Worksheets
- Big Bigger Biggest Worksheets
- Hoppy Frog Math Game (addition within 10 and addition to 20)
- Goldfish Kindergarten Subtraction Games
- Blowing Bubble Math Worksheets
- Smores Free Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Estimation for Kindergarten Activity
- Snowball Sorting Odd and Even Math Activities
- Bug Measuring Kindergarten Worksheets
- Roll to 100 Counting Game
- Flower Shape Kindergarten Math Crafts
- Kids will have fun as they color and learn with these Ordinal Number Worksheets
- Spring Kite Skip Counting Craft
- Pirate I Spy Worksheets
- Engaging, Reusable Kindergarten Math Worksheets pdf
Maths Worksheet for ukg
- Crack the Code Worksheet Pages for Kindergarten and first graders
- Insect Telling Time Puzzle to the hour and half hour
- Free Printable Coin Worksheets – color by coin
- Cute Skip Counting Puzzles – huge pack of free skip counting games
- Fun Hundreds Chart Battleship
- Geoboard Activities
- Watermelon Kindergarten Math Activities
- Months of the Year Activities – learning sequencing with craft sticks
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Addition Games
- Dinosaur Theme Kindergaten Math Worksheets
- What Comes Next Kindergarten Math
- Free Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft – free printable math craft to solve, cut, and paste
Money sorting mat
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!