Make practicing writing fun for kindergarten and first grade students with these super cute, free printable Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten. These winter writing prompts are filled with story starter ideas and pages to color with tracer lines to write about winter, snowman, and snowflake scenes. Download pdf file with writing prompts for winter and you are ready to easily add writing practice to your winter lesson plans.
Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
Winter has definitely arrived in my neighborhood! We are digging out from a large dump of snow and I can hear children laughing as they build snowmen. It is the perfect time to come up with some winter themed writing pages! These Winter Writing Prompts are such a fun, easy way to work on writing skills with kindergarteners and grade 1 students this December, January, and February.! There is something for everyone from beginners to more experienced writers. They are also versatile. Use them for quick writing practice, or for a longer writing activity. You can send them home for solo work at home or use them for group writing activities.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or hoemschooler – you will love how easy these writing prompts for winter are to add to your plans. Use them as extra practice, winter literacy activity for your classroom or use these winter printables as a supplement to your homeschool writing curriculum.
Kindergarten writing prompts
Winter writing prompts
These writing pages will encourage children to explore the wonder of winter through writing. Some will prompt the kids to engage their imaginations and write a story. Others will provide the opportunity for them to write about the wintery things their family do. The package can be used with children at a number of different skill levels! Here’s what you’ll get
- The first page has a picture of a wild and winder winter’s night. Hopefully this will stimulate the children’s imagination and encourage them to write. There are a few lines after the picture for the children to write their stories. This page is perfect for younger students who are still developing their writing skills. It might be a good idea to do some class brainstorming before writing. Ask questions like: What is going on is this picture? What would you feel, hear, see? Where do you think this is? What adventure story is happening here?
- The second page is designed for use students who are capable of writing longer stories. It has the same wintery picture, but has a lot more space for writing.
- The third page has space invites students to draw their own picture and then write write a short story. This open-ended activity encourages students to think about a specific subject, and then express their thoughts through pictures and words.
- The fourth page is another fun writing prompt engages the children’s imagination and invites them to write a story about a snowman that comes to life. What fun!
Writing prompts for winter
We’ve included two extra bonus pages just for you.
- The first page is a drawing page. Children are asked to think about their favorite winter activity and draw a picture. This would be a great activity for early finishers and would make a really nice display.
- The second is a page of winter story prompts.
January writing prompts
These wintery story prompts can easily be use with children at various levels. Children can choose a story prompt and work with it. It might be fun to have them draw an illustration as well.
If you prefer use them for group work. Give small groups of students a story prompt with to work with. Invite them to write and illustrate the story. If you prefer they could create a short skit.
Story prompts can also be used for writing journals, centers, or sent home as a homework assignment. They can also be used in tandem with an art project.
Looking for more free winter worksheets, winter activities, and winter themed ideas to make learning fun all winter long? Check out these fun resources:
- Free Printable Winter Worksheets help pre-k and kindergarten age students practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Winter Rhymes –Matching Rhyming Words Games
- Winter Pre-Writing Activity for early learners
- Practice counting to 100 with these free Winter Color by Number Worksheets
- Super cute Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Or work on letter recognition with these Color by Letter Winter Worksheets
- Rhyming Words with Pictures Winter Puzzles
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Syllables printable activity
- Free Printable Winter Story Starters
- Winter Roll and Cover worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun-to-Read Winter Books for Kids
- Practice counting to 10 with this super cute Free Winter Printables
Nothing says winter like snowman! Try these cute snowman printables:
- Build a CVC Word Snowman Activities for early readers!
- Adorable Count to 10 Snowman Printables Book
- Winter Snowman Word Family Spinners freebie
- Printable Snowman Clock and telling time activities
- Fun Snowman Math Craft for kids to practice addition within 10
- Build a Snowman worksheet to help kindergartners work on sequencing
- Winter Playdough Mats for kids to build common winter items
- Practice phonemic awareness with these adorable Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Printables for teaching children basic shapes
- Winter Snap Cube Free Printables
- Hands-on Winter Counting activity for preschoolers
- Free Winter Worksheets for pre-k
- Super cute, count to 10 Snowman Crafts Preschool
- Snow globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Winter worksheets for Kindergartens
- Or try this easy snowman craft that uses circle stickers
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Winter writing prompts for kindergarten
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!