It’s finally springtime! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, and the birds are singing. This is a great time to do some writing! In this post, we have provided a set of free printable spring writing prompts for Kindergarten and Grade one students. Our prompts will help your students explore their creativity and get writing.
Spring writing prompts for Kindergarten
How did your kindergarten students do with their writing this year? Isn’t it a challenge to help young learners develop their writing abilities? They must go from tracing letters to fully constructed sentences in such a small amount of time. We are approaching the home stretch right now and can see the end of the school year in the distance. Now is the time to focus on honing those developing writing skills.
Hopefully, your kids have mastered the basic writing skills and are starting to write stories. Our spring writing prompts are ideal for this stage in the school year. Some of the pages are pretty simple, so you can use them with students who need more practice in the basics. Others are a little more challenging and will help your kids produce fantastic writing pieces.
Spring Story Starters
Spring Writing Prompts
Most children this age just love to tell stories? That’s where we come in with our list of spring writing prompts. These are perfect for getting kids to think creatively and practice writing.
Spring is when things begin to grow, and the bees and butterflies emerge. The weather has been getting warmer, and flowers are growing. The days seem longer than ever before as the sun rises higher in the sky each day. Kids are playing outside again after being cooped up forever. There are lots to see and do, making it a good time for creative writing.
I’m so excited to share this free writing prompts with you! The prompts are perfect for getting your Kindergarten and Grade 1 students excited about writing. There are 5 pages of ideas to get their creative juices flowing.
If you are a teacher and homeschooling parent, you’ll love how easy this activity is to prepare. Simply download and print, so your students can sharpen their writing skills in the months before the school ends for summer break.
Spring writing activities for kindergarten
Our spring writing prompts are designed to get kids thinking about all the things they experience at the time of year. There’s no shortage of inspiration, from rainy days and gardens to butterflies.
- The first page is designed to get the students thinking about spring. The instructions ask them to record some of the things they hear and see in spring.
- Our second page is very simple. Students make a list of things they can do on a rainy day and draw a picture of an animal that loves the rain.
- The third page is all about butterflies. Students are asked to imagine they are butterflies and write about what they would see and do in a day.
- The fourth page invites students to design the garden of their dreams. They are asked to draw a picture of their garden and describe it.
- Kids Will love the Fifth page as it gives them the freedom to write their own spring story. They are invited to make up a title, draw a picture, and tell their story! Encourage children to continue on the back of the page if they need more space. This page can be used with the story prompts.
- Ou last page has ten spring story prompts. Some are creative, while others ask the kids to describe something.
Free spring writing prompts for kindergarten
There are so many ways to use these spring writing prompts! You can use them as a daily activity, morning work, or even in a writing center. If you want to make things more challenging, you can have the students complete one prompt per day and turn it into a book.
Consider using the story starters during circle time. You start by reading the prompt and then invite the children to take turns adding to the story. It’s a great way to get them thinking about writing and using their imaginations.
You can also use these prompts as a springboard for other activities. For example, after doing the “Design Your Garden” page, you could plant some seeds with your students. Or, after doing the “Butterfly” page, you could do a butterfly life cycle activity.
The possibilities are endless! So go ahead and download the spring writing prompts and get started today. Your students will love them!
Spring Worksheets for Kindergarten
Spring is a great time to encourage your students to flex their writing muscles! So whether your students are struggling with writer’s block or just need a little extra push, these spring-themed writing prompts will do the trick. We hope you enjoy them!
Please feel free to share this post with your friends and colleagues. And if you’re looking for more writing activities, be sure to check out our other posts. We’ve got tons of great ideas for you! Happy writing!
Free writing prompts for kindergarten
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Spring Alphabet Printables
- Mowing the Lawn Spring Alphabet Game
- Spring Alphabet Worksheets for preschoolers
- Alphabet Kite Craft
- Free Printable Flower matching game for preschoolers
- Rainbow Spring Letter Tracing for kids
- Spring Flowers Letter Matching Printable for Upper and Lowercase Letters
- Rainy Day Find-the-Letter Spring Worksheets
- Raindrop Letters Matching activity for spring
- Hop to it! Frog alphabet matching game printable
- Hands-on Caterpillar spring cvc words activity
- Printable spring bubble word family games
- April Writing Prompts Calendar
- Free May Writing Prompts Worksheets for K-4th graders
- Rhyming Words Spring Worksheets
- Simple, free Flower Rhyming Worksheets
- Printable Spring Emergent Reader
- Planting Carrots CVC Word Activity
- Frog free printable sight words games pdf
- Tulip spring rhyming words worksheet
- Carrot word family worksheets for kindergarten
Spring Math Activities
- Butterfly Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Free printable kite Skip Counting Craft
- Spring counting playdough mats
- Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Count to 10 Insect printables for preschoolers
- Fraction Flowers worksheets for kids
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar flashcards – numbers
- Bug Measuring Cards Free
- Raindrop counting activity for spring
- Spring carrot what comes next activity
- Flower free printable number bond worksheets for kindergarten
- Flower Tracing Numbers 1-30 pdf
- Spring Math Puzzles to work on counting and addition
Spring Math Activity
- Spring Counting Clip Cards
- Spring Birds, Free printable one to one correspondence activity with jelly beans
- Free printable missing number worksheets
- Spring Bunny counting number tracing cards
- Teen Number sense Flower Addition Worksheet
- Shape Flower Playdough Mats
- Printable Spring Tracing Worksheets
- Free Printable FLOWER shapes activities for kindergarten
- Vegetable counting from 1 to 10 clip cards activity
- Seeds Make 10 Addition Game
- Spring Addition Counting Clip Cards
- Kite Color Matching – free printable learning colors for toddlers game
- Free printable How to plant a seed step by step worksheet
- I Spy Farm Animals (great for visual discrimination & counting)
- Free Spring Math Worksheets
- Free Printable Spring Worksheets Preschool
- Backyard Critters Insect worksheets for kindergarten
- Spring color words worksheets using do-a-dot markers
- B is for Butterfly weekly theme
- Fun Ant activities for preschoolers (prek / k)
- I is for Inchworm activities for kids
- Match the Flower Worksheet for Kindergarten
- Spring lego challenge cards
- Fruit Loop Color Matching Umbrella Craft
- I Spy Spring
These science projects and spring science experiments are perfect for indoor or outdoor!
- How big is a Raindrop Experiment for kids
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Density water balloon science experiment
- Fun-to-Make, Beautiful Chromatography Butterflies for kids
- Vinegar and Baking soda Rocket Experiment
- Outrageously cool Lemon Clock project for kids
- Making butter in a jar experiment
- Balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Amazing Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
Spring Science Worksheets
These free science printables are a grea way to learn about the parts of a plant, plant life cycles, animal life cycles, to take along as zoo field trip worksheets, and more!
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Hatching Butterflies Observation Book
- Printable Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet free
- Free Earthworm life cycle worksheet
- Nature Walk Activity Sheet
- Frog Life Cycle for Kids spinner activity
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Frog Worksheet
- Seasons on the Farm Printable
- Free Zoo fieldtrip worksheet
- Printable Animal Habitat Game
- Insect Life Cycle printable books
Spring Crafts for Preschoolers
Your kids are going to want to try these fun springtime craft projects.
- 30 DIY Bird Feeder projects to make with kids this springtime
- Gingho Leaf Umbrella Craft
- Bubble Wrap Umbrella Craft Preschool
- Cute toilet paper roll bunny crafts for kids
- 40 Earth Day Crafts
- Easy Impressionism for Kids spring art project
- Pasta Butterfly Craft
- Pop-up Butterfly Crafts for preschoolers
Flower Crafts for Kids
- 100 Beautiful Flowers Crafts for Kids to Make
- Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Celery Painted Tulip Flower Craft
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Ideas
- Felt Board Flower Craft
- Splatter Art Flower Craft for Kids
- Fine Motor Bead Flower Craft for Preschoolers
- How to Make a Flower Crown
- Cute printable flower craft for mothers day
- Super cute Printable Flower Craft for working on name recognition
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
Spring Activities for Kids
- Colorful Snake Bubble Activity for kids
- Spring pasta craft for kids
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Find monthly resources such are our March Crafts for kids or our March Activities for Kids!
- Check out our April Crafts for kids or our April Activities for Kids!
- Don’t miss these May Crafts for kids or our May Activities for Kids!
- Let’s ease into summer on June 21st with these June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT bubbles
Writing activities for kindergarten pdf
By using materials from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Spring Writing Prompts <<