Kids need lots of practice writing! As they begin writing they will realize there are some rules for all sentences such as capitalization, organization, punctuation, and spelling. This handy, free printable kindergarten writing checklist is a great way to help kids double check their papers when they are done! This cops writing checklist printable is perfect for kindergartners and grade 1 students and go along great with a police officer theme or a community helpers theme. Simply print the cops writing checklist printable and you are ready to get writing!
Kindergarten Writing Checklist
Writing is not usually a favorite subject among children. Writing requires a child to balance ideas, grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It can be overwhelming to a child. Due to all the pressure and stress, a lot of children want to run at the thought of writing. However, if a child can take more ownership over her writing by editing it herself then lessons will be reinforced and it won’t feel so intimidating. This is what this COPS Writing Checklist come to the rescue. The kindergarten writing checklist uses the acronlym COPS. C=Capitalization, O=Organization, P=Punctuation, and S=Spelling. Keeping this in mind, your child can easily learn to edit her own writing while reinforcing grammar and spelling rules. Use this COPS editing checklist with kindergartners and grade 1 students too.
Police Officer Theme
COPS writing checklist
Print out the COPS Writing Helps Printable Set which includes:
- 1 poster explaining what each letter stands for
- 1 sheet with several Writing Patrol Slips.
Kindergarten writing prompts
The poster can be laminated and hung up or simply placed with the child’s writing materials. Cut out the writing patrol slips and make them readily available to your child. Each time the child has a writing assignment have her pick up a slip. Once the writing is complete, have her go over the writing with the slip. The spaces below each letter to keep track of mistakes. This can be used as a reminder rather than counting mistakes.
Supplies needed: scissors
COPS editing checklist
- Laminate the materials to keep them longer and not have to print out as many times.
- Have your child use the method with perfectly written sentences to get used to what is expected.
- Make sure your child is comfortable writing her thoughts before becoming strict with editing to encourage writing.
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Community Helper Activities
- Community Helper Creative Writing Prompts
- Simple Coloring Pages featuring Community Helpers
- Doctor Contraction Game
- Firefighter Coloring Pages
- Firefighter Worksheets for Kindergarten
- HUGE Pack of Firefighter Worksheets to practice a variety of skills with kids 3-8
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Farm Hidden Picture
- Fire Safety Worksheets
- Construction Letter Tracing
- Doctor Pretend Play
- Detective Printable Pack
- Construction Phonics Game
- Farm Preschool Worksheets
- Community Helpers Printable Wheel
- Construction Printable Pack
- Seasons on the Farm Printable
- Construction Sight Words Game
- SLIME Construction Activity
- Farm Sequencing Worksheets
- I Spy Farm Animals
- Construction Worksheets – large pack of free learning activites for prek / k
- Free Community Helpers Coloring Pages – over 20 simple coloring pages exploring jobs
- Where do I Live – free printable project and fun idea for explaining how you live in a house, on a block, in a city, in a state, etc.
COPS writing checklist printable
By using resource from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!