Integrate reading and writing with this Kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade pets writing activity! Our FREE printable writing about pets invites students to create books about their pets. This pet activities for kindergarten makes a great writing project and students love to talk about their pets. Click through to print your free book.
all about my pet free printable
Young kids need lots of practice writing to practice expressing themselves, spelling, ordering sentences, capitalization, punctuation and more. We love educational activities that draw on kindergarteners, grade 1, and grade 2 interests to make learning fun and help motivate children to engage with the material. Students will love writing about pets. Cats, dogs, fish and sometimes even spiders. These are just some of the pets that your students may have. It could be something small like a gerbil or something more exotic like a snake. Pets are an integral part of many families. In fact, according to a recent survey a whopping 68% of American households have a pet.
So when it comes to pets, many of your students will have their own stories to share. As you know, most Kindergarten kids LOVE telling stories from their own experiences.
We’ve got a cute free printable that will provide an opportunity for your students to share those stories. They will also be learning how to organize information and write a report, but they don’t realize that. Learning will happen naturally as they work through the pages. Isn’t that great? It really is the best way to learn.
Writing About Pets
We designed a printable book for children who are just starting to learn how to write. They won’t need to write huge chunks of text and there is lots of space for pictures. It includes the following pages .
- Title page
- A space to draw a picture of their pet
- A page to record the names and type of pet. They are also invited to write about why they like their pet.
- A page to record the things they do for their pet
- A chart to fill in
- A place to write about their pet
The images in the post show most of the pages. You can use them all or pick one or two. The last two pages are suitable for students who have developed some writing skills. All the pages are in black and white for easy printing. The best part is that there is hardly any preparation. Print, copy, and collate. Easy peasy.
- The Pet book file (see below)
- Brightly colored copy paper (front page)
- Copy Paper (inside pages)
- Pencils and crayons
- File folders
Writing Template for Kindergarten
- Create a file folder for each child.
- Invite your kids to fill in the sheets and draw pictures. If children do not have a pet, they can make a book about a pet they would like to have. If you have a classroom pet, they could use that.
- Invite the children to place the complete pages in their file folder.
- Make copies of the front page on colored paper
- When the class has finished creating their books, retrieve the pages from each child’s folder. Add a cover and staple the book together.
You may want to give the children opportunity to share their finished books with the rest of the class. You could do this during circle time, but I would limit it to a few children a day.
pet writing paper
Turn this into a creative writing project, by asking children to invent an imaginary pet. They can then use their imagination to fill out the book. We have included an alternative title page if you want to go this route. Start by reading a book starring magical creatures.
Follow the story with some conversation about imaginary pets.
What might they
- Look like?
- Be able to do?
- How would you look after it?
We have included an alternative title page and the rest of the book can be filled in from their imagination. What fun!
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Animal Activities for Kindergartners
Looking for more animal themed activities for prek kids? You will love these free printable resources and ideas:
- Printable Animals Masks
- Endangered Animals Find the Letters Worksheets
- Goldfish Addition Practice
- Zoo Animals Color by Number Worksheets
- A to Z Mammals Book
- Animals Tracing Letters A to Z
- Animal Life Cycle Printables
- Count and Cover Zoo Animals with Cheerios
- Finish the Pictures ~ Animal
- Farm Animal Homes Printable Reader
- Anatomy of Animals Activity
- Ocean Coloring Pages
- Animal Activities with Animal Crackers
- Animal Books for Preschoolers
my pet worksheet pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Pet Writing Activity <<