These super cute, free printable picture writing prompts kindergarten are a great way to help children get excited about writing. These picture writing prompts, pre-k, and grade 1 students are sure to make writing fun instead of a chore. Simply print pdf file with the kindergarten writing prompts with pictures and you are ready for this low prep kindergarten writing activity!
Kindergarten writing prompts with pictures
My daughter doesn’t hate writing, but she doesn’t love it either. If she ’s writing a note or letter to someone, she is golden but when I ask her to write a story or in her writing journal, she has a rough time staying focused and interested. She rarely has a hard time focusing or staying interested in games, though. So I combined the two with this fun, free printable picture writing prompts kindergarten and she did great. I am happy to report that her writing has changed dramatically after I introduced these Picture Writing Prompts.
I created two pages of Picture Writing Prompts squares with a random picture inside each square. The purpose of these pictures was a visual way to give children ideas to spark their writing session. Each picture can lead to a variety of ideas, either fiction or nonfiction. These kindergarten writing prompts with pictures are great for pre-k, kindergarten, and grade 1 students.
Picture writing prompts for kindergarten
Picture writing prompts elementary pdf
I printed the two pages and cut out each square. Next I laminated the squares individually. To save on laminating sheets you could put them back to back and then laminate. This may lead to extra options in the game too. Next I put them in a bowl.
I had my daughter get her favorite pencil and writing journal. She reached her hand in the bowl and picked out a picture.
Free kindergarten writing prompts with pictures
If you laminate the pictures back to back, you could have the child pick which side they want to write with. If you laminated single side, you can just have the child write about that topic.
You can write your sentences or stories in a writing journal or on the writing paper provided in the file.
HINT: If your child is not ready to write a full story, they can dictate it to you or draw an illustration as a great prewriting activity.
Picture prompts for kindergarten
You can print multiple of the writing pages and ask your child to write multiple pages on the same topic.
This has helped encourage my daughter to write more, without feeling overwhelmed or forced. She enjoys making up stories as well as writing about real life experiences that have happened to her within that topic.
If you’re like me, you’ll love having these stories to keep. Whether it is to save because it warms your heart or to track progress.
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!