Grab our FREE snowman count and cover mats. This fun snowman math activity is perfect for helping your students practice counting and number recognition. Use this printable math game for math centers, early finishers, or homeschool! Download pdf file with winter math kindergarten game to make learning fun for your kindergartners this December, January, and February.
Printable Math Game
How are your students progressing in their counting skills so far this year? It is quite the undertaking challenge isn’t it? We know that counting and number recognition are important concepts for young learners. But here’s the problem, we have a class full of kids all at different levels. Some students have no problems with number recognition. While others struggle to make the connection. Some children are ready to move on with math and others struggle to put numerals in the right order.
Winter Math for kindergarteners
Still there is one thing for sure. Every single one of our students can benefit from a lot of practice. And it is particularly helpful if that process involves some hands-on learning.
While it seems simple, the process of learning to count is quite complex. In fact, it brings together many skills and rules that must all be internalized. Fortunately, most our students will learn this process without too much difficulty. All they need is the opportunity to practice over and over.
As I’m sure you are aware, children learn best when they are playing. A math center provides the opportunity for children to learn while they play. So, we have created a fun math activity. It is simple game to help children practice counting and number recognition.
Take a peek at our FREE snowman count and cover mats. This printable set features 4 snowman themed count and cover mats and a set of number cards from1-10. We made one set in color, but there is a black and white version for those without color printers.
We designed the number cards for concrete learners. Numbers are an abstract concept that can be hard for young learners to grasp. They might be able to memorize the numerals, but that only takes them so far. The cards provide the opportunity for children to count the number of snowflakes.
Use these count and cover mats
- In a math center
- For early finishers.
Children can do the puzzles independently or work with a partner. You might also direct parents to this post and encourage them to download a set for extra practice at home
Setting Up The Snowman Count And Cover Mats
- Printable file (below)
- Small manipulative such as buttons, pompoms or mini erasers.
- Laminator (optional)
- Small Plastic tweezers (optional)
Print counting mats and number cards onto cardstock. Next, Laminate the pages for durability if you wish and cut apart the number cards.
How to Use the Count and Cover Mat
- Shuffle the number cards and arrange them face down.
- Give students with a count and cover mat and 20 manipulatives of choice.
- Turn over a number card. Encourage the children to count the snowflakes and say the number aloud. Direct them to locate the corresponding numbers on the count and cover mat. Each number is represented twice.
- Place a manipulative over each number. If you wish, use small plastic tweezers to place the manipulatives on the mat. It is a sneaky way to add in some fine motor practice.
- Repeat until all the cards have been counted and the mat is completely covered.
These count and cover mats are quick and easy to put together. They are a great activity for students starting to work on counting and numeral recognition.
Looking for more free winter worksheets, winter activities, and winter themed ideas to make learning fun all winter long? Check out these fun resources:
- Free Printable Winter Worksheets help pre-k and kindergarten age students practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Winter Rhymes –Matching Rhyming Words Games
- Winter Pre-Writing Activity for early learners
- Practice counting to 100 with these free Winter Color by Number Worksheets
- Super cute Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Or work on letter recognition with these Color by Letter Winter Worksheets
- Rhyming Words with Pictures Winter Puzzles
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Syllables printable activity
- Free Printable Winter Story Starters
- Winter Roll and Cover worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun-to-Read Winter Books for Kids
- Practice counting to 10 with this super cute Free Winter Printables
Nothing says winter like snowman! Try these cute snowman printables:
- Build a CVC Word Snowman Activities for early readers!
- Winter Writing Prompts Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets
- Adorable Count to 10 Snowman Printables Book
- Winter Snowman Word Family Spinners freebie
- Printable Snowman Clock and telling time activities
- Fun Snowman Math Craft for kids to practice addition within 10
- Build a Snowman worksheet to help kindergartners work on sequencing
- Winter Playdough Mats for kids to build common winter items
- Practice phonemic awareness with these adorable Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Printables for teaching children basic shapes
- Winter Snap Cube Free Printables
- Hands-on Winter Counting activity for preschoolers
- Free Winter Worksheets for pre-k
- Super cute, count to 10 Snowman Crafts Preschool
- Snow globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Winter worksheets for Kindergartens
- Or try this easy snowman craft that uses circle stickers
Math for Kindergartners
Looking for summer math for kindergartners? You will love these fun, free resources:
- Bubble Math Worksheets
- Sandcastle Subtraction Math Craft
- Skip Counting Fall Math Worksheets
- Fishing Number Bonds Math Craft
- Crack the Code Math Worksheets
- Hotdogs Number Words Activity
- Skip Counting Constellations Printable
- Candy Corn Counting – Count and Trace Turkey Feathers
- Star Wars Number Tracing
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game
- Dinosaur Color by Number
- Snowflake Numbers- Counting From 1-100
Snowman Counting Mats
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!