Do you need an easy hands on activity to help your students focus on specific words? Your students will enjoy learning how to spell and recognize a variety of words with our FREE read, build and write mats. The mats are fully editable, so you can use them to teach sight or spelling words.
Word mats are a helpful tool in Kindergarten. They are perfect for literacy centers and early finishers. They can also be offered to parents whose children are struggling. As winter is approaching, we have created the mats with a winter theme.
THE BENEFITS OF READ, BUILD, WRITE MATS
We all know that hands on learning is one of the most effective ways to teach this age group. Read, Build, and Write mats provide that kind of learning. Children read the word first. Then they must pick out each letter and arrange them in the correct order to build the word. This means they are learning to spell the word without realizing it. This learning is consolidated by writing the word.
I love the flexibility of these mats. You can use them to help kids learn sight words, unit vocabulary and spelling words. You could even use them to help children learn their names.
A variety of alphabet manipulatives help keep things fresh. This maintains the children’s interest. Manipulatives can include
- Magnetic letters
- letter tiles
- Alphabet snap cubes
- Large wooden letters (these allow students to feel the shape of the letter)
EDITABLE CARDS ALLOW FOR FLEXIBILITY
All the mats are fully editable, so you can use any words you wish. The font has been set to automatically resize to fit the box, so you don’t have to worry about word length. This means that you can easily use the mats according to the needs of your students.
Are they learning the first sight words? Do they need some challenging spelling words? Teaching some specific vocabulary to go with a unit them? These mats will work for you! Just type the words you want to use into the table and the words will automatically fill in the mats.
NOTE: If you want your mats to look the same as ours, you will need to download the free font KG Primary Penship
SETTING UP THE MATS
- Read, Build, and Write word mats file (see the download link below)
- Write and wipe pockets
- Alphabet manipulatives
- Dry erase markers
- KG Primary Penship font (free)
- Download and install the font.
- Type the words into the chart. They will auto-fill into the mats.
- Read, Build, and Write word mats
- Slip them into a write and wipe pocket.
- Place the alphabet manipulatives into a container.
- Read: Students read the vocabulary word.
- Build: Students build the vocabulary word with the alphabet manipulatives.
- Write: Students write the word in the blank box.
EXTENDING THE ACTIVITY
While memorizing sight words is useful, it is also vital that our students use them in context. The easiest way to do this is use them in their writing. Extend this activity by inviting students to write a sentence that uses their sight word. We have included a writing sheet that you can use.
SIGHT WORD ACTIVITIES
Kindergarten students need loads of practice when it comes to sight words? Variety is key, so keep things fresh with these FREE printables
- Sight Word Garden
- Train Sight Words Game
- Rapunzel Sight Words Coloring
- Apple Sight Words Activity
- Flower Sight Word Mazes
Download Winter Spelling Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!