Do you need an easy, hands-on Christmas spelling of Winter spelling activity to help your students focus on specific words? This kindergarten Christmas learning printable will help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn how to spell and recognize a variety of words with our FREE read, build and write mats. The spelling mats are fully editable, so you can use them to teach sight or spelling words. These spelling worksheets would work great as a winter printables too.
Word mats are a helpful tool for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. They are perfect for literacy centers and early finishers. They can also be offered to parents whose children are struggling. As winter is approaching this December, January, and February – we have created these mats with a winter theme. Each of the winter spelling mats help students work on kindergarten spelling words. This spelling printable works with any spelling word list as it is editable! The cute spelling activity has a snowy winter scene paged mat to read, build, and write as well a free kindergarten worksheets.
THE BENEFITS OF READ, BUILD, WRITE MATS
We all know that hands on learning is one of the most effective ways to teach this age group. Read, Build, and Write mats provide that kind of learning. Children read the word first. Then they must pick out each letter and arrange them in the correct order to build the word. This means they are learning to spell the word without realizing it. This learning is consolidated by writing the word.
I love the flexibility of these mats. You can use them to help kids learn sight words, unit vocabulary and spelling words. You could even use them to help children learn their names.
A variety of alphabet manipulatives help keep things fresh. This maintains the children’s interest. Manipulatives can include
- Magnetic letters
- letter tiles
- Alphabet snap cubes
- Large wooden letters (these allow students to feel the shape of the letter)
All the mats are fully editable, so you can use any words you wish. The font has been set to automatically resize to fit the box, so you don’t have to worry about word length. This means that you can easily use the mats according to the needs of your students.
Are they learning the first sight words? Do they need some challenging spelling words? Teaching some specific vocabulary to go with a unit them? These mats will work for you! Just type the words you want to use into the table and the words will automatically fill in the mats.
NOTE: If you want your mats to look the same as ours, you will need to download the free font KG Primary Penship
- Read, Build, and Write word mats file (see the download link below)
- Write and wipe pockets
- Alphabet manipulatives
- Dry erase markers
- KG Primary Penship font (free)
- Download and install the font.
- Type the words into the chart. They will auto-fill into the mats.
- Read, Build, and Write word mats
- Slip them into a write and wipe pocket.
- Place the alphabet manipulatives into a container.
- Read: Students read the vocabulary word.
- Build: Students build the vocabulary word with the alphabet manipulatives.
- Write: Students write the word in the blank box.
EXTENDING THE ACTIVITY
While memorizing sight words is useful, it is also vital that our students use them in context. The easiest way to do this is use them in their writing. Extend this activity by inviting students to write a sentence that uses their sight word. We have included a writing sheet that you can use.
Kindergarten Sight Words
Looking for more fun, engaging and free kindergarten sight word activities, games, and worksheets? Check these resources out:
- Farm Printable Sight Word Games
- Pumpkin Sight Words Game
- Dinosaur Sight Words Activity
- Printable Sight Words List
- Free Christmas Sight Word Worksheets
- Summer Mazes – Sight Word Worksheets
- Read! Trace! Write! – building sentences with sight words
- Rapunzel Sight Word Coloring Pages
- Arctic Animals Sight Words Game
- Sight Word Groundhog Day worksheets
- Free printable sight word books
- Color by Sight Word Christmas
- Thanksgiving sight word coloring pages
- Train Sightwordsgame
- Popcorn sight words printables
- Apple Sight Words Tree Activity
- Gingerbread Sight Word Coloring Sheets
- Color by Sight Word Spring Reader
- Easter Sight Words Maze Worksheets
- Peacock Kindergarten Sight Words Activity
- Crazy Roads – Kindergarten Sight Word games
- Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets
- Bug Sight Word Games
- Ocean Sight Words Worksheet
- Kindergarten Sight Words Christmas Activity
- Candy Cane Sight Words Activity
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- plus lots more kindergarten sight words activities
- Kindergarten Reading the EASY Way – ways to master kindergarten sight words
Looking for more free Christmas worksheets to make learning fun for Kinders during December, you’ve got to see these activities!
- Nutcracker Worksheets – HUGE pack of themed worksheets to work on math, literacy, and more!
- Christmas Spelling Activity
- Free Nativity Printables include over 50 pages of math and literacy activities for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade
- Practice sight words with this hands-on activity with these Free Christmas Printables
- Chocolate Worksheets Printables are winter themed practice sequencing for kindergartens
- Use these Christmas Printables and confetti to practice tracing uppercase letters
- Fun candy cane sight words activity for early learners
- Polar Express Telling the Time Worksheets
- Free Christmas Skip Counting Worksheets
- Santa Sleigh Christmas Printables CVC Words Activity
- No Prep Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Practicing Counting this December with this Christmas Counting Book
- Free Christmas Printables Letter Tracing Strips
- Word Family Sort Christmas Printables
- Christmas Counting Clip Cards
- Soring Colors Christmas Printables
- Christmas Color by Number to 100
- Bingo Dauber Christmas Math Worksheets
- Letter Find Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Color by Sight Word Christmas
- Christmas Counting to 20 Puzzles
- Super cute Grinch Alphabet Christmas Printables Puzzles
- Cut and Paste Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Free gingerbread man sequencing activity
- Gingerbread man Comprehension Questions Printable
- Addition Gingerbread Man Printables
- Gingerbread Man Printables Sight Word Coloring
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets
- Free Christmas Worksheets
Plus don’t miss these fun Christmas Crafts and activities!
- Easy Christmas Suncatchers Craft
- 31 Magical December Crafts for Kids
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Printable Hat Craft
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Rudolph Race Christmas Game
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
Download Winter Spelling Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!