Do you need an easy, hands-on Christmas spelling of Winter spelling activity to help your students focus on specific words? This kindergarten Christmas learning printable will help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn how to spell and recognize a variety of words with our FREE read, build and write mats. The spelling mats are fully editable, so you can use them to teach sight or spelling words. These spelling worksheets would work great as a winter printables too.
Word mats are a helpful tool for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. They are perfect for literacy centers and early finishers. They can also be offered to parents whose children are struggling. As winter is approaching this December, January, and February – we have created these mats with a winter theme. Each of the winter spelling mats help students work on kindergarten spelling words. This spelling printable works with any spelling word list as it is editable! The cute spelling activity has a snowy winter scene paged mat to read, build, and write as well a free kindergarten worksheets.
THE BENEFITS OF READ, BUILD, WRITE MATS
We all know that hands on learning is one of the most effective ways to teach this age group. Read, Build, and Write mats provide that kind of learning. Children read the word first. Then they must pick out each letter and arrange them in the correct order to build the word. This means they are learning to spell the word without realizing it. This learning is consolidated by writing the word.
I love the flexibility of these mats. You can use them to help kids learn sight words, unit vocabulary and spelling words. You could even use them to help children learn their names.
A variety of alphabet manipulatives help keep things fresh. This maintains the children’s interest. Manipulatives can include
- Magnetic letters
- letter tiles
- Alphabet snap cubes
- Large wooden letters (these allow students to feel the shape of the letter)
All the mats are fully editable, so you can use any words you wish. The font has been set to automatically resize to fit the box, so you don’t have to worry about word length. This means that you can easily use the mats according to the needs of your students.
Are they learning the first sight words? Do they need some challenging spelling words? Teaching some specific vocabulary to go with a unit them? These mats will work for you! Just type the words you want to use into the table and the words will automatically fill in the mats.
NOTE: If you want your mats to look the same as ours, you will need to grab the free font KG Primary Penship
- Read, Build, and Write word mats file (see the freebie link below)
- Write and wipe pockets
- Alphabet manipulatives
- Dry erase markers
- KG Primary Penship font (free)
- Grab and install the font.
- Type the words into the chart. They will auto-fill into the mats.
- Read, Build, and Write word mats
- Slip them into a write and wipe pocket.
- Place the alphabet manipulatives into a container.
- Read: Students read the vocabulary word.
- Build: Students build the vocabulary word with the alphabet manipulatives.
- Write: Students write the word in the blank box.
EXTENDING THE ACTIVITY
While memorizing sight words is useful, it is also vital that our students use them in context. The easiest way to do this is use them in their writing. Extend this activity by inviting students to write a sentence that uses their sight word. We have included a writing sheet that you can use.
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activities
- Erupting Snow fun winter science experiments
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids
- How to make icicles out of paper winter craft or these pretty pipe cleaner icicle craft
- P is for Penguin Handprint Craft
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- 30+ January Crafts for Kids
- Simple Winter Coloring Sheets
- Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Transfer Snowball Game
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Painting in the snow activities for kids
- Winter I Spy printable and activity
- Lego January STEM Activities (free printable)
- Rhyming 5 Little Snowman Activity
- DIY Launcher Snowman Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these alphabet and literacy resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Dab the Letter Snowflake Worksheets
- Snowman Word Family Spinners Winter Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Penguin Printable Beginnig Sounds Match
- If you prefer LARGE themed packs with learning math, literacy, and more, check out these winter worksheets for kindergarten
- Snowman Writing Prompts, or these Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF, or make a winter book with these Winter Writng Prompts for Kindergarten
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Letter Tracing Hat and Mitten Free Winter Printables
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Sight Word Winter Worksheets
- 20 Winter Literacy Activities for Preschoolers and Kindergarten
- Polar Bear Printable Alphabet Match
- There was an old lady who swallowed some snow worksheets
- Snowman Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Printable Telling Time Math Activity
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Cute Snowman Counting Cards
- Snowman Winter Worksheets for workiing on Place Value
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Sums Winter Math Activities
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Workshsets
- Count and Cover Snowman Math Game
- Snowflake Math Counting to 100
- Winter Math Games for Kindergartners
- Count to 10 Snowman Puzzles
- Winter Dot-to-Dot Worksheets
- Sequencing Activity with How to Make Chocolate Worksheets Printables
- Shape Matching Penguin Activities
- Free Winter Color by Number
- Winter Dot Marker Printables to learn color words
- Measurement Winter Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 Winter Playdough Mats
Winter Spelling Activity
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Winter Spelling Practice <<