Help kids who have learned their ABCs start working on phonemic awareness with Christmas Beginning Sounds matching game – a fun literacy activity for December. This free Christmas printables is a fun way to help pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students learn and review the sounds letters make with a holiday themed Christmas worksheets. Simply download pdf file with Christmas beginning sounds worksheets and you are ready to learn and play!
Christmas Beginning Sounds
Kindergarteners and grade 1 students will kids will enjoy ‘building the Christmas stockings’ as they work on their beginning sounds with these fun Christmas mats. There are beginning sound pictures and alphabet letter cards to match. This engaging Christmas beginning sounds activity is way more fun than simple christmas beginning sounds worksheets! Kids will be excited to practice phonics skills.
Christmas beginning sounds worksheets
Print as many mats as you need for the number of students in your class – You can print these mats 2 per page so that way you can cut them up and save paper, be sure to laminate the ‘gift factory’ mats along with the gift letter cards. There are letters a-z gift cards and a random mix of beginning sound pictures on the gift factory mats but 36 picture sounds in total.
Use these mats to help kids develop beginning sounds skills. Start by getting the kids to choose a random ‘gift letter card’. They identify the letter on the card and then look for a picture on the mat that starts with the same letter. My ESL kids love doing this activity and I find that the second time around, they are able to do this more easily as they remember the name of the pictures on the mats! A great way to build letter knowledge as well as beginning sounds skills. KIDS love them! Combining a Christmas theme along with these learning mats work really well for reluctant kids who do not enjoy ‘sit down’ work.
This game can also be played in a group as a competition between two teams (or tables). Have the mats printed on large A3 poster paper and get the kids playing on these. Be sure to print the gift cards also on A3 paper (nice and large) for the little ones to match. Use and re-use these mats EVERY season!
Kindergarten Christmas activities
Looking for more free Christmas worksheets to make learning fun for Kinders during December, you’ve got to see these activities!
- Nutcracker Worksheets – HUGE pack of themed worksheets to work on math, literacy, and more!
- Christmas Spelling Activity
- Free Nativity Printables include over 50 pages of math and literacy activities for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade
- Practice sight words with this hands-on activity with these Free Christmas Printables
- Chocolate Worksheets Printables are winter themed practice sequencing for kindergartens
- Use these Christmas Printables and confetti to practice tracing uppercase letters
- Fun candy cane sight words activity for early learners
- Polar Express Telling the Time Worksheets
- Free Christmas Skip Counting Worksheets
- Santa Sleigh Christmas Printables CVC Words Activity
- No Prep Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Practicing Counting this December with this Christmas Counting Book
- Free Christmas Printables Letter Tracing Strips
- Word Family Sort Christmas Printables
- Christmas Counting Clip Cards
- Soring Colors Christmas Printables
- Christmas Color by Number to 100
- Bingo Dauber Christmas Math Worksheets
- Letter Find Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Color by Sight Word Christmas
- Christmas Counting to 20 Puzzles
- Super cute Grinch Alphabet Christmas Printables Puzzles
- Cut and Paste Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Free gingerbread man sequencing activity
- Gingerbread man Comprehension Questions Printable
- Addition Gingerbread Man Printables
- Gingerbread Man Printables Sight Word Coloring
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets
- Free Christmas Worksheets
Plus don’t miss these fun Christmas Crafts and activities!
- Easy Christmas Suncatchers Craft
- 31 Magical December Crafts for Kids
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Printable Hat Craft
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Rudolph Race Christmas Game
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than
Download Christmas Beginning Sounds Matching
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.