Grab our simple super cute, free printable Winter Writing Prompts to encourage kids to create their own winter books! You can make individual books or a whole class book. The pack of snowman writing prompts includes 10 pages of snow writing prompts lines to fill in and snowman, snowflake, mittens, kids in the snow, and other fun winter clipart. These January writing prompts are perfect for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Download pdf file with winter worksheets to make learning fun this December, January, and February.
Winter Writing Prompts
Winter has arrived bringing with it cold days and snow for many places. Unlike many adults, children seem to thrive in this season. They don’t seem to mind the cold and there is always hot chocolate, right? Why not take the opportunity to have them capture something of the season in some fun winter writing activities? We’ve created a free winter writing book to encourage your students to write about winter. Most children have experiences about winter to share. Kids this age just LOVE telling stories from their own experiences. These Winter Writing Prompts for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students provides the opportunity for them to do that.
Kindergarten winter worksheets
Snowman Writing Prompts
The book is designed specifically for children who are just starting to learn how to write. There are lots of writing prompts and helps.
It includes the following pages .
- Title page with plenty of space to create a picture
- An alternative title page with pictures. Print it on some colored paper to add some wow factor!
- An invitation to draw a wintery picture and write about it.
- A page to record their favorite winter activities
- The opportunity to describe what they wear in winter
- Two pages with snowmen activities. First they name their snowman and write a list of things they need to make it. Then they draw a picture of their snowman. These pages can be used even if you do not have snow on the ground.
- Finally there is a space for a short book review, because we love books and reading is such a great winter activity.
This is a very flexible resource. You can use the pages in writing centers or keep them for early finishers. If you don’t want to make books, just use one or two pages for writing exercises. All the pages black and white for those who do not have access to a color copier. they are really easy to prepare. Just download and print.
Snow Writing Prompts
- The winter book file (see below)
- Colored copy paper (front page)
- White copy Paper (inside pages)
- Pencils and crayons
- File folders
I would recommend that you do some brainstorming with the whole group. You can start by sharing some fabulous winter books. Check out our list of great winter reads.
Then invite the students to talk about winter. Ask questions like
- What do you know about winter?
- What is your favorite thing to do in the winter?
Continue the discussion by brainstorming a list of winter words. You might ask
- What words can you use to describe winter?
- What do you wear when you go outside in winter?
Write the words on a large chart or whiteboard. It might be helpful to sort them into categories. Leave the words up for the children to use when they are writing. These are such a cute and helpful free printable for both preschool / prek and kindergarten age kids!
January Writing Prompts
- Create a file folder for each child.
- Encourage students to complete the pages.
- Place the finished pages in their file folder.
- When you have finished making the books. Invite the children to sort the pages into their preferred order. Add a cover and staple the book together.
- If possible find ways to have the children to share their finished book. they could partner up and share that way or share in small groups.
Turn this into a creative writing project, by using the free winter story prompts in this post. these pages can be added into the book.
Looking for more free winter worksheets, winter activities, and winter themed ideas to make learning fun all winter long? Check out these fun resources:
- Free Printable Winter Worksheets help pre-k and kindergarten age students practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Winter Rhymes –Matching Rhyming Words Games
- Winter Pre-Writing Activity for early learners
- Practice counting to 100 with these free Winter Color by Number Worksheets
- Super cute Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Or work on letter recognition with these Color by Letter Winter Worksheets
- Rhyming Words with Pictures Winter Puzzles
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Syllables printable activity
- Free Printable Winter Story Starters
- Winter Roll and Cover worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun-to-Read Winter Books for Kids
- Practice counting to 10 with this super cute Free Winter Printables
Nothing says winter like snowman! Try these cute snowman printables:
- Build a CVC Word Snowman Activities for early readers!
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets
- Adorable Count to 10 Snowman Printables Book
- Winter Snowman Word Family Spinners freebie
- Printable Snowman Clock and telling time activities
- Fun Snowman Math Craft for kids to practice addition within 10
- Build a Snowman worksheet to help kindergartners work on sequencing
- Winter Playdough Mats for kids to build common winter items
- Practice phonemic awareness with these adorable Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Printables for teaching children basic shapes
- Winter Snap Cube Free Printables
- Hands-on Winter Counting activity for preschoolers
- Free Winter Worksheets for pre-k
- Super cute, count to 10 Snowman Crafts Preschool
- Snow globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Winter worksheets for Kindergartens
- Or try this easy snowman craft that uses circle stickers
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Download Winter Worksheets
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!