Sneak in some simple science learning about the life cycle of a hippo with these free hippopotumus worksheets. Use these hippo activities to learn about animals, life cycles, or just practice math and literacy skills with a fun animal theme. These life cycle worksheets are perfect for kids in preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders to learn about these huge pachyderm animals with thick skin.
Life Cycle of a Hippo
Life Cycle Worksheets
Did you know that hippos are incredibly adapted for living in the water? Found in slow-moving rivers and lakes in Africa, these amazing creatures have their eyes, ears, and nostrils on the top of their heads. This means that they can hear, see, and breathe while the majority of their body is submerged underwater.
Hippopotamus life cycle
In this pack, there are a variety of activities, including:
- Mazes – Complete the mazes
- Tangles – Find your way through the tangles
- Trace the Lines – Trace the lines to match the pictures
- Trace the Letters of the Alphabet – Trace the uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Alphabet Cards – Cut out, laminate and use to match the lower case letters to the uppercase ones.
- Trace the Words – Improve handwriting skills while learning to spell.
- Beginning Letter Sounds – Cut out, laminate and use a peg or paperclip to clip or place a pom pom or candy onto the correct answer.
- Syllable Cards – Cut out, laminate and use a peg or paperclip to clip or place a pom pom or candy onto the correct answer.
- Alphabetical Order – Cut and paste in alphabetical order.
- Trace the Numbers – Trace the numbers from one to fifty.
- Counting Puzzles – Cut out, laminate and use the numbers to place the puzzles back together.
How old do hippos live?
Did you know that hippos usually live for about 40-50 years? But there was one exceptional hippo named Bertha who amazed everyone by living up to 65 years! She resided in the Manila Zoo since it opened in 1959. What an incredible life she had!
Hippo life cycle
- I Spy – Count the Objects– Count the objects.
- Counting Cards – Shade the answer or cut out, laminate and use a peg or paperclip to clip or place a pom pom or candy onto the correct answer.
- Addition Cards – Shade the answer or cut out, laminate and use a peg or paperclip to clip or place a pom pom or candy onto the correct answer.
- Subtraction Cards – Shade the answer or cut out, laminate and use a peg or paperclip to clip or place a pom pom or candy onto the correct answer.
- Size Sequencing Cards – Cut out, laminate and place in order from largest to smallest or vice versa.
- Cross the Odd one Out – Cross out the object that is different.
- Cut and Paste the Pattern – Cut out and paste the answer in the correct spot.
- Coloring Activity – Spin and then color the picture in the correct color.
- Skip Counting – Write in the missing numbers.
- Find the Letters – Shade in the circles or use a dot marker or bingo marker to dot out all of the correct letters.
- Let’s Graph – Print out the pictures on white cardstock and then cut them out. Place them face down on a table and pick up one and graph.
- Write and Color – Write the word then color the picture.
- Color Matching Cards – Match the color; a great way to learn colors.
How long is a hippo?
Did you know that the hippo is one of the largest mammals in the world? These amazing creatures can weigh between 3,000 and 9,920 pounds! With an average length of 10.8 to 16.5 feet, and a height of up to 5.2 feet at the shoulder, they truly are a sight to behold.
Hippos for kids
- Shadow Matching Cards – Match the picture with its shadow.
- Shape Matching – Draw a line to match the shapes.
- Match the Picture to the Word – Draw a line to match the picture to the word.
- More or Less – Read the instructions and write the correct numbers.
- Life Cycle Poster
- Life Cycle Cut and Paste – Cut and paste in the correct order.
- Draw the life cycle – Draw the pictures of the life cycle in the correct order.
- Life Cycle Stages – Write the life cycle stages.
- Life Cycle Book – Trace the life cycle stages.
- Life Cycle Word Search – Find the words in the word search.
Did you know that hippos are the third largest land mammals on Earth, after elephants and white rhinos? There are two species of hippos: the common hippopotamus and the pygmy hippo. These strong swimmers can hold their breath for up to 5 minutes, hence their nickname “river horse”. Sadly, hippos are classified as a threatened species due to human activity impacting their environment. They are herbivores, munching on around 80 pounds of grass each night, and have a gestation period of 8 months. Most active at night, hippos also produce their own sunblock and can even identify friends from enemies through their sense of smell. These amazing creatures play a vital role in their ecosystems, but they are vulnerable to extinction.
Life Cycle Worksheets
- A – Life Cycle of an Ant worksheets, Apple Life Cycle Printable, or this Apple life cycle printable spinner
- B –Barn Owl Life Cycle Worksheets, Bat Life Cycle Printable, these Bat Worksheets, Bald Eage Life Cycle Worksheets, Bee Life Cycle or these Life Cycle of a Bee Worksheet, Black Bear Life Cycle Worksheets, Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet FREE Download, Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet, observation Book and step-by-step hatching experient pictures, or these Butterfly Worksheets
- C- Cat Worksheets theme or more in-depth Cat life Cycle pages, Crab Life Cycle, Chicken Life Cycle Worksheet, Life Cycle of a Chicken Worksheet Observation Book, Themed cow worksheets and Life Cycle of a Cow Worksheets, lifecycle of a crocodile worksheets
- D – dog life cycle worksheets or dog’s life cycle pack, deer life cycle worksheets for elementary or themed deer worksheets pre-k/k
- E – Life Cycle of an Elephant Worksheets
- F –Farm Animal Life Cycles- (worm, chicken, rabbit, bat) Fish Life Cycle, Flower and Plant Life Cycle for Kids Life-the-Flap, Frog Worksheets or this Frog Life Cycle for Kids Printable Spinner and Activities, Life Cycle of a Frog Worksheets, experiment and observations
- G – Giraffe Life Cycle Worksheets for kids
- H – Hippo Life Cycle worksheets, Horse Life Cycle worksheets
- I –Insect life cycle worksheet pages for kids about butterfly, ladybug, bee, and mosquito.
- J –Jellyfish Life Cycle
- K – Koala life cycle worksheets or life cycle of a koala learning pack
- L – Life Cycle of a Ladybug Printables, learn about the Life Cycle of a Ladybird, Lobster Life Cycle
- M – Mammal Animals for Kids Life Cycle Printable Books, Life Cycle of a Mosquito Worksheet Set
- P – Panda Worksheets, themed learning for pre-k and kindergarten Panda Worksheets , Life Cycle of a Penguin Worksheets. themed pig worksheets and free life cycle of a pig worksheets, Plant Life Cycles Printable Reader, Plant life cycle worksheet or this Plant Life Cycle Printable Lift-the-Flap, Plant Life Cycle for Kids, Polar Animals for kids life cycle printables, Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet, or these Life cycle of a Pumpkin pdf
- R – Life Cycle of a Rabbit Worksheet , themed rabbit worksheets for pre-k/k, Reindeer Life Cycle Worksheets, Rock Life Cycle
- S – Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet, Life Cycle of a Sea Turtle Printable Book, Life Cycle of a Seal, Shark Life Cycle, sheep life cycle worksheets or life cycle of a sheep kindergarten worksheets, fascinating Snake life cycle worksheets or Life Cycle of a Snake Themed Worksheets, Spider Life Cycle Worksheet pages for kids, Star Fish Life Cycle, Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheet
- T – Turkey Life Cycle Worksheet Pack
- W – Walrus Life Cycle, Water cycle Worksheet printables for kids, Water Animals for Kids Life Cycles , Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner, Worm Life Cycle Worksheet, Worm Observation Book
- Are you My Mother? Matching Mom & Baby Farm Animals or Animal Homes Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book or Free Zoo Animals Worksheet – several levels
- Silly Animals and their Habitats Activity or Animal Habitats Worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Free Biomes Coloring Pages, or Animal Cookie Matching Activity, or Animal Alphabet Tracing Cards
- Endangered Animals Worksheets, Free printable Animal Word Searches
- 30 Life Cycles for Kids – free worksheets and activities or Free Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt (includes simple and more complex options)
- Ocean Animals for Kids – HUGE unit for K-8th grade students.
- Zoo Animals Color by Number, Animal Pattern Worksheets, or I Spy Animals Worskheet
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages, free Uppercase Tracing Letters with Animals A-Z, or Printable Animal Masks
- 100 Amazing Zoo Animal Crafts or see all of our Animal Activities, Printables, and Crafts
- Forest Animal Printable Finger Puppets
- Animal Activity spelling animal names with magentic letters or Animal Classification Worksheet to cut & paste
- Safari Animal Game Count to 30, Animal Connect the Dots Printable, or Woodland Animal Matching Game
- Hibernation Worksheet, free Endangered Animals Worksheet, or huge Ocean Animals for Kids unit
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts or Animal Habitat Game with colorful pictures, facts, and gameboard
- Animal I Spy Printables or Zoo Animal Color by Number Worksheet
Hippo Life Cycle Printables
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!