One of my favorit things to teach during the spring and summer seasons is the life cycle of a plant for kindergarten. To make your job easy, I’ve included tons of plant activities for kindergarten to include in your lesson plan on plants for kindergarten. I’ve included plant books, free kindergarten plants worksheet choices, and some handy educational videos on plants too. Plus these plant activity ideas for kids are handy for elementary age students from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th graders too!
Plant Activities for KindergartenIf you’re looking for fun plant activities for kindergarten, you’ve come to the right place! I’ve compiled a list of my favorite teacher-approved resources that will help you and your child learn about plants in a fun and interactive way. From planting seeds to learning about life cycles, your kindergartener will have a blast while learning about this important topic! So get ready to get outdoors and explore the world of plants!
Lesson plan on plants for kindergartenLearning about plants is packed with hands-on educational opportunities. It provides children with the opportunity to learn about :
- The life cycle of a plant
- Plant anatomy
- What plants need to grow
- Recording data
- Making predictions
Learning About Plants for KidsHere are four great videos about seeds and plants that you can watch with your kids. Short videos like this can be helpful because they are a fun and easy way to provide information.
From Seed To FlowerThe video From Seed to Flower will be a hit with your students! From Seed to Flower is an enchanting and educational claymation video that takes students on a journey through the lifecycle of a flower. This movie features beautiful animation and engaging narration to provide a fun introduction to the basics of flower anatomy.
How Does a Seed Become a PlantDo you know how a tiny little seed becomes a big, tall plant? Jessi and Squeaks show you in this engaging video! You’ll learn all about the different parts of a seed and see just how it grows into a plant. This is one educational video that you don’t want to miss! This video does use some complex terms, such as endosperm and germination. Kindergarten children don’t need to understand them at this point. Still, there is no harm in exposing children to vocabulary that they will encounter later.
Peep Plants a SeedJoin Peep the chick as he learns all about planting, watering, and waiting patiently for his sunflower to grow. Your kids will love following along with Peep as he learns about planting, caring for plants, and waiting patiently for his sunflower to grow. By the end, your children will be excited to get their hands dirty and plant their own seeds!
Grover Talks About PlantsHere’s your chance to get your kids excited about gardening! Everyone’s favorite blue furry monster from Sesame Street is here to teach them all about plants. Your kids will learn all about what plants need to stay healthy and thrive. Thanks, Grover!
Life cycle of a plant for kindergartenFree plant printables are a great tool to have on hand. They can be used to create low prep activities that will keep your students engaged and learning. Plus, they get to learn about plants in the process! What could be better than that? These free resources make easy low prep plant activities for kindergarten.
Free Printable Life Cycle ReaderIf you’re looking for a fun and educational way to teach your kids about the plant life cycle, try our free printable life cycle reader! Learn about three different plants and their life cycles with this engaging printable. Each reader includes pages to read and color.
Lift-the-Flap Plant Life Cycle PrintableKids will have a blast learning about the different plant life stages with our free Lift-the-Flap Plant Life Cycle. This fun cut-and-paste book makes learning easy and fun for budding scientists! This free printable Watermelon Life Cycle spinner is a great way to teach kids about the growth of watermelons. You can print it out, cut it out, and assemble it quickly. Kids will love spinning their watermelon around to see how it grows from a tiny black seed to a seedling to a fully formed plant with ripe watermelons.
Life cycle of a plant for kindergarten
Parts of a Plant WorksheetThis Parts of a Plant Worksheet is perfect for any budding botanist! With this fun and hands-on activity, you can plant a bean seed and watch it sprout and grow before your very eyes. As your plant grows, you’ll learn all about the different parts of a plant and how they work together. This is a great way to get kids interested in science and nature, and who knows – you might even inspire the next great botanist! Looking for a fun and educational activity to do with your kids? Look no further than How To Plant a Seed Sequencing Worksheets! This 40-page pack of cut and paste activities is the perfect way to teach your kids about planting a seed. Plus, they’re a lot of fun too! This Parts of a Plant Flip Book is the perfect way to teach your kids about the different parts of a flower. They’ll love lifting the flaps and learning about flowers in a fun, interactive way!
Plant Activities- ScienceOne of the best plant activities for Kindergarten involve science experiments. Get ready to get your hands dirty, and have fun with plant science! Here are four awesome experiments that are perfect for teaching young students about plants.
Food Coloring Flower ExperimentThis remarkable experiment teaches kids about the different parts of a flower, the flower life cycle, and capillary action. Watch their faces as the flowers magically change color right before their eyes! Plus, they’ll get a free worksheet to help them document their learning. Celery is a fascinating plant. Did you know you can regrow celery from the leftover stalk? It’s true! This simple kindergarten science experiment is perfect for budding botanists of all ages. With some water and some sunlight, you can watch your celery grow before your eyes. What a fun way to learn about plants!
Easy Plant Transpiration ExperimentPlants are constantly taking in water through their roots and releasing it into the air through tiny openings on the leaves called stomata. In this easy experiment, you’ll capture the water plants produce through transpiration and learn more about how they work! The included worksheet provides complete instructions and guided discovery.
Maze Potato Plant ExperimentWho knew potatoes could be so much fun? This excellent plant experiment will have kids of all ages marveling at the power of plants. Watch as potatoes grow through the maze, and learn about the importance of light in plant growth. This kit uses items you probably have around the house, so you can get started right away.
Plant CraftsKids love crafts, right? And what could be better than crafts that involve planting and growing seeds? Here are two favorite crafts that double as science experiments.
Easy Craft HouseLooking for something fun to do with your kids? How about making a grass house? It’s easy and a great way to teach students about plants and seeds.
Silly Grass Head Plant CraftLooking for a fun and easy craft project for the kids? They’ll love making these Silly Grass Head Plants! This is such a fun activity, and children will have a blast giving their grass heads a haircut. So get crafting and let the silly hair growth begin!
Plant BooksLet’s start with some great books. Here are our top four recommendations. All of these make a great introduction to plant activities for Kindergarten.
From Seed to Plant by Gail GibbonsLooking for an excellent book to help younger students learn about seeds and plants? From Seed to Plant is a great choice! This well-written and illustrated book details the life cycle process of a plant growing from seed to plant. This is an excellent introduction to a plant unit – just the right amount of information for young elementary-age kids. The large, colorful pictures and short, concise sentences are perfect for keeping young children engaged. At the same time, they learn the basics of plant growth.
The Tiny Seed By Eric CarleWelcome to the world of The tiny seed! This charming picture book tells the story of a little seed’s adventures on its way to becoming a beautiful flower. Along the way, readers will learn about the life cycle of plants. The tiny seed is perfect for teaching young children about nature and life cycles.
Lola Plants A Garden by Anna McQuinnCELEBRATE the joys of gardening with Lola in her latest adventure, Lola Plants a Garden! After reading a book of garden poetry, Lola sets out to learn all about plants so she can plant her very own garden. She is soon ready to get her hands dirty and get planting. Filled with excitement (and impatience), Lola can’t wait to see her seeds sprout and grow into beautiful flowers. A must-read for any aspiring gardener, Lola Plants a Garden will inspire young readers to get out in the dirt and start their own gardens. So grab your copy today!
Planting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertPlanting a Rainbow is the perfect book for budding gardeners of all ages. Follow along with the mother and daughter duo as they plant bulbs, seeds, and seedlings in their backyard and watch them grow into beautiful flowers. This educational and enjoyable book is filled with beautiful cut-paper collages that illustrate the different stages of growth, from planting to bloom. We hope you have found this post helpful as you plan your plant unit. Be sure to check out our other posts for more ideas and activities. And don’t forget to share with fellow teachers!
Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Potato Maze – Summer STEM Activity for Kids
- Water Pollution for Kids Science Expeirment
- Silly Grass Head Plant Crafts for Kids
- Simple Geranium Photosynthesis Experiment for Kids
- How to Regrow Celery in Water
- Food coloring flower experiment worksheet Science Experiment for kids
- Color Changing Flower Experiment learning about capillar action
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Grow Crystals Flower Experiment
- Easy BEE Pollination Experimnt for kids using Jello
- Simple Acid Rain Pollution Experiment for Kids
- Seeds and Plants Unit filled with hands-on Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Beautiful Chromatography for Kids Flower Project
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Cute, printable Name flower craft
- Flower Upper and Lowercase Letter Matching
- Free Printable Flower Counting Worksheets
- Seeds and Plants Activities for Kindergarten
- Silly Egg Head Spring Activities for Kids
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Flower Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Worksheet
- FREE Printable Flower Scavenger Hunt
- Sunflower Printable ABC Puzzles
- Flower Beginning Sounds Activity
- Flower Kindergarten Sight Words Maze Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name Worksheet for Kindergarten
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Digraph Activity Build-a-Flower
- Planting Carrot cvc activities for kindergarten
- Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets to practice reading fluency
- Seeds Free Addition Games – fun math activity for kindergarten age kids
- Letter Find Flower Worksheets
- Flower Worksheets for Preschoolers to practice a variety of skills
- Stunning Lacing Flower Craft
- Pasta in clay Flower Crafts
- Pretty Cherry Blossom Craft for SpringFun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- Tulip Flower Craft for Kids
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Purple Hollyhock Tissue Paper Flowers Craft
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Zinnia Fingerprint Flower Craft
- Hyacinth Flower Craft
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- White Dandelion Craft for Preschoolers
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Delphinium Egg Carton Flowers Craft for Kids
Kindergarten plants worksheetLooking for more free printables to help you learn about life cycles? You will love these resources:
- 🐜 Ant life cycle for kids printable activity
- 🍎 Apple life cycle printable plus worksheets for working on early literacy and math too
- Spin and learn with this apple life cycle printable
- 🦇 Life cycle of a bat worksheets or these bat life cycle worksheets
- 🐝 life cyle of a bee worksheets
- 🦋 Hatching Butterflies with butterfly life cycle worksheet
- Learn math and literacy along with these butterfly life cycle worksheet free download
- Butterfly worksheets to learn science plus math and literacy skills or try these cute life cycle butterfly crafts
- 🐔 Life cycle of a chicken worksheet, printable, and activity
- 🌼 Lift-the-Flap Flower Life Cycle printable activity
- Learn about the Life Cycle of Frogs for kids and grab the life-cycle wheel
- 🐸 Life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Grab this spinner to learn about the frog life cycle for kids
- Insect life cycle printable book to read, color, and learn
- 🐞 Ladybug life cycle worksheet or use these pages with ladybug life cycle for kids
- 🐼 Panda life cycle worksheets or these panda worksheets
- 🐧 Penguin life cycle worksheet are the perfect addition to you winter theme!
- 🌿 Plant life cycle worksheet or this Plant Life Cycle Printable Lift-the-Flap
- Read, color, and learn with these plant life cycle worksheets
- Plant Life Cycles Printable Emergent Reader and Worksheets
- 🎃 Pumpkin life cycle worksheet pdf – lots of fun activities for learning about pumpkin life cycle
- Cut and Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- 🐰 Life cycle of a Rabbit worksheet or themed math, literacy and science in these rabbit worksheets
- 🦟 Mosquito Life Cycle Worksheet
- 🐟 Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet pack with not only life cycle of salmon, but math and literacy activities too
- Plus don’t miss our experiment breeding guppies to learn about life cycles up close!
- 🐢 Sea Turtle Worksheets to make a book to read, color, and learn about their life cycles
- 🕷 Spider life cycle worksheet is a fun way to learn about the life cycle of spiders with an insect theme or during Octoboer
- 🌻 Life cycle of a sunflower worksheet – fun sunflower life cycle printables
- 🦃 Turkey life cycle – is fun to learn about around Thanksgiving
- 🍉Watermelon Life Cycle Printable Spinner
- Worm Life Cycle worksheets and activity
- 💧 Free Water Cycle Worksheets for Kids