Students will have fun cracking the secret code to find the hidden words! This CVC Word Activity will get your students eager to practice beginning sounds. This is a great resource to have for early finishers or literacy centers. Click to download the free printable.
CVC Word Activity
One of the joys of teaching kindergarten is helping children develop their reading skills. It never gets old does it? One minute a child is painstakingly sounding out words and the next they are reading sentences.
I worked at a library for six years. Each year one or two of our kids burst through the door to proudly show off their newly discovered reading skill. We got really good at gathering around to exclaim loudly and offer affirmation. It was one of the highlights of the year.
In Kindergarten, some of the first words kids learn to read are CVC words.
WHAT IS A CVC WORD
A CVC word is one containing a Consonant, Vowel and Consonant. Examples would be cat, tip, jug, and mat. Many of them are three letter words, but some have more letters. The CVC refers to vowel and consonant sounds. Some of these sounds are composed of two letters. Examples would be swim, flag and skip.
We use CVC words with young learners, because they are easy to decode. We want new readers to feel successful, so that they are motivated to continue on. They are also great words for practicing a number of things like
- beginning and ending sounds
- long and short vowels
- blending sounds
Learning CVC words builds a strong foundation for literacy, so we want to give our students loads of practice. We decide to create a fun activity that will help children practice some easy CVC words. Introducing our beginning sounds secret code CVC mats.
Sounds Letters Make
Before they can get started with this CVC word activity, children need to learn the sounds a letter make. Here are some helpful activities.
- Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Free Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Initial Sounds Clip Card
- Fish Phonics Activity
Once students learn the sounds the letter make, they can start combining them in words. CVC words use sounds that are easy to blend, so they are good for early readers and spellers.
These secret code CVC mats get children spelling by identifying beginning sounds. Children ALWAYS love secret codes, so why not take advantage of that to help them learn?
CVC Word Games
These decoder mats will help Students practice three different skills
- Identifying the beginning sounds
- Matching the sounds with the correct letters
- Blending the sounds to read the CVC words
There are 10 mats contain the following words:
- Cat, hat, rat, bat,
- rug, mug
- can man, pan fan
As you can see you see, we will be practicing those AT, UG, and AN sounds. All while having fun. How’s that for an easy win?
This would be an excellent activity to pull out for a spy week theme. It is also a helpful addition to your literacy centers.
Kindergarten CVC Words
Simply download the files and print onto card stock. I would laminate the pages, so they last longer. Then cut out the mats.
That’s all there is to it! Pair the mats with magnetic letters and you are good to go.
As this is an activity for beginners, the words are only three letters long. We have also been careful to make sure that the pictures are not ambiguous in any way. You won’t wonder if a picture is a Hen or a Chicken. A Cap or a Hat. Just to be completely sure, we have also included an alphabet sheet. This has all the pictures and their corresponding letters in one place.
- Invite children to look at each picture on the mat and say the word aloud.
- Demonstrate how to look through the letters to find the one that matches that sound.
- Place the letter in the space below the picture.
- Once they identify all three sounds, they can read the word aloud.
It might be helpful to review the beginning sound pictures with your students before doing this activity.
LOOKING FOR MORE SECRET CODES? – 6 Simple Secret Codes Your Kids Will Love
At first, you may want to restrict the magnetic letters to those used in the decoder mats. These letters are a b c f g h m n p r t u.
For extra writing practice, children can write each word they make on a sheet of paper. Invite children to choose a few words and compose a sentence. They could also write a story that includes some of the words.
Older children may enjoy making up their own mats. Give them several copies of the alphabet sheet. They can cut out the letters and glue them to a mat.
- Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow CVC Word Mats
- CVC Games Kindergarten
- Free Printable CVC Word Search Worksheets
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC words with pictures pdf Printable
- Color-the-Letter to spell the picture, Free Printable CVCe Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet
- Pirate cvc words short a
- Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short I Words Emergent Reader
- Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- CVC Words Middle Sounds in Words Clip Cards
- CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here!
CVC Word Activities
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles
- Christmas CVC Words Clip Cards
- Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Ending Sounds Clip Cards (or version 2)
- Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters
- Detective Case File Crack the Code CVC Words
- Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice
- Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build
- Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Easter CVC Words Activity
- Christmas CVC Words on Santa’s Sleigh
- Star Wars CVC Games
- 4th of July CVC Words Activity
- Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity
- Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Roll and Read CVC Sentences
- Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets
- Farm CVC Animal Words
- Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Heart Penguin CVC Words
- Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes
- Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice
- Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump
- Spring Bird CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word Activities
- Reading Words Free CVC Printables
- Short a words Reader
- Caterpillar CVC Word mats
- Snowman CVC Words Activity
- BUMP! CVC Words Game
- Christmas CVC Words Printable
- at Family Words Worksheets
- Planting Carrots CVC Activity for Kindergarten
- Secret Decoder CVC Word Activities
Looking for our most popular content? Here it is!
- Grab this ABC coloring book free download foe some fun learning with prek/K
- Bingo Dauber Printables to practice making upper and lowercase letters
- Just print and practice with these kindergarten alphabet worksheets
- Looking for convenient printable crafts? You will love these letter crafts!
- Super cute alphabet cards to trace with fingers, dry erase markers, or playdough
- Find the Letter worksheets where children dab the letter to make snow in the snow globe
- Learn kindergarten colors with these free printable sorting mats!
- Alphabet Playdough Mats are a great, hands on alphabet activity
- Kids will love uncovering the zoo animals in these color by number worksheets
- Practice tracing letters with these alphabet worksheets for kindergarten a to z
- Sneak in some summer learning with these summer kindergarten worksheets
- Print this free traceable alphabet to help young learners work on fine motor skills
- Make learning your ABCs fun with these handprint alphabet ideas
If you have a kindergarten or teach kindergartners, you don’t want to miss all our fun and FREE kindergarten alphabet worksheets, free kindergarten worksheets, kindergarten math printables, easy science projects, kindergarten English, crafts for kindergartners, and kindergarten activities.
Download CVC Words Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!