Your students will love our free printable Star Wars themed CVC word games. This CVC Word activities are perfect for beginning readers and easy to prepare! We’ve got three different versions of this CVC games online to help your pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade student practice reading CVC words. This free CVC game is a fantastic way to practice reading skills and have some fun while celebrating May the Fourth this Star Wars Day.
CVC word games
There comes a time students must progress from recognizing and identifying letters to sounding out simple words. But it can be hard to find suitable materials to help them make that transition.
Our free Star Wars printable CVC game is a fun, interactive way for young readers to learn how to read CVC words. This game is perfect for kids who are just starting out, and it will help them build the skills they need to become successful readers.
Free star wars printables
What are CVC words?
CVC words are short words that contain consonant-vowel-consonant sounds. For example, cat, dog, or stun.
These words are easy to break down into individual sounds(segment) and blend. This means they are perfect for beginning readers. If a learner has a good grasp of letter sounds and can blend them together, they will be well on their way to reading CVC words.
Why Are CVC Words Important?
Why are CVC words important? Well, let me tell you! Teaching CVC unlocks the door to reading. Students slowly realize that letters translate into simple sounds, which can then be blended into words. At that point, their reading starts to take off. Watching this dawning awareness is almost magical. It never gets old.
CVC words are an excellent place to start because they are short, simple, and easy to decode. This means that students can focus on the task of reading without being bogged down by complex words.
Segmenting and blending are essential skills because they help beginners read unknown or unfamiliar words, a vital part of reading fluency.
The simplicity of CVC words means that most students will experience reading success quite quickly, which is a powerful motivator. But everyone must start somewhere. Once students know how to read CVC words, they can begin to sound out and read more complex words with more than three sounds.
So as you can see, teaching young readers CVC words is an essential step in helping them become successful, fluent readers.
This is a great question. No one answer fits all students. Most students will be ready to start learning CVC words sometime between Kindergarten and Grade One. However, some students may need more time to develop the necessary skills.
If you are not sure if your students are ready for CVC words, here are some things to look for:
- Do they know all of their letter sounds?
- Do they understand that each letter in a word represents a sound?
If you answered yes to both questions, your students are probably ready to start learning CVC words.
CVC Word Activities
If you are not sure, it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution and provide more practice on letter sounds before moving on. There are many great games and activities that you can use to help your students learn their letter sounds.
- Beginning Sounds Puzzles
- Pirate Letter Sound Games Printable Activity
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Printable Alphabet Letter Sounds Activity
- Letters and Sounds Games
- Learning Alphabet Sounds School Bus
Once they understand letter sounds, they will be ready to move on to CVC words.
CVC games online
As May Fourth day is coming up we thought a free Star Wars printable was in order. Our Star Wars CVC Game is a fun way to review and practice reading some of the CVC words. Most kids love Star Wars and will be thrilled to play a game with their favorite characters. This is a sneaky way to get them excited about reading.
We have one game that can be played in 3 different ways. Our free Star Wars printable CVC game was created to encourage independent play for one or two players. We made it black and white for easy printing. The free printable contains the game board and 2 sets of recording sheets. Each group of recording sheets has two versions to choose from.
This activity is easy to set up. All you need to do is download the files and print them off. Then you are ready to go!
CVCword games online
- Free Star Wars printable game pdf (below)
- Copy paper
- Manipulatives to use as game pieces
- Laminator and cardstock (optional)
Print the pages in the pdf file. Now choose the recording sheets you want and print them onto paper. If you want a gameboard that will last, we recommend printing it on cardstock and laminating.
How to Play The Free Star Wars Game
As we mentioned, we have come up with three different versions of the Star Wars CVC game. The game can be played with one or two players. You can use the recording sheets or not; it is up to you.
Roll and Read Aloud
This is the simplest version and is best for two or more players. You will need a gameboard, a dice, and a game piece for each player.
- Invite players to put their game pieces on the starting line.
- Players shake the dice and move along the game board. If they land on a word, they read it aloud. There’s no penalty for making a mistake, but encourage players to help each other if a word is not read correctly.
- If you land on a Tie Fighter, you must go back one space.
- The first player to reach R2-D2 wins the game!
Roll, Read, and Record
This is best for two players. You need the game board, one recording sheet, a dice, and a game piece for each player.
- Players put their game pieces on the starting square and roll a dice to decide who will be player 1. The one who rolls the highest number is player 1 and goes first.
- Students take turns rolling the die and moving along the game board. If they land on a word, they read it aloud and write it in the correct column of the chart.
- Invite players to decide what happens if they land on a Tie fighter. Do they lose a turn? Take an extra one? Move forward or backward for 2 squares?
- Players could also decide how to determine the winner. Is it the one who fills in their part of the chart first? Or the player that reaches R2-D2 first?
Roll, Read, and Delete
This game can be played by one or two players. You will need a recording sheet and game piece for each player, a copy of the gameboard, and a dice.
One player: Students roll the die and move along the game board. When they land on a word, they say it aloud. They cross it off the word bank on their worksheet and record it on the lines below. Have them continue in this manner until they reach R2-D2.
Two players: Students roll the die and move along the game board. If you land on a Tie fighter, you take another turn. Each person gets a recording sheet and uses it as detailed above.
Free Star Wars Printables
Looking for more free star wars printables for kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and elementary age kids? Take a peak at these resources:
- Free Star Wars Worksheets to practice math and literacy skills with young learners
- Super cute Star Wars Bookmarks – over 12 templates to choose from!
- Star Wars Letters Printable Pennants
- FUN Star Wars Math – addition and subtraction activity with free printable
- Star Wars Printable Letter Find Worksheet
- BBG Alphabet Tracing is fun star wars printable activities
- Star Wars Multiple Worksheets
- Simple Star Wars Coloring Pages
- Practice sight words with this engaging Star Wars Printable Activity
- R2D2 Star Wars Printable Number Tracing 1-20
- Star Wars Free Printable Calendar
- Cute Star Wars Birthday Party filled with tons of fun star wars activities!
- Free Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Plus don’t miss 101 Star Wars Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow CVC Word Mats
- CVC Games Kindergarten
- Free Printable CVC Word Search Worksheets
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC words with pictures pdf Printable
- Color-the-Letter to spell the picture, Free Printable CVCe Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet
- Pirate cvc words short a
- Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short I Words Emergent Reader
- Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- CVC Words Middle Sounds in Words Clip Cards
- CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here!
CVC Word Activities
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles
- Christmas CVC Words Clip Cards
- Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Ending Sounds Clip Cards (or version 2)
- Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters
- Detective Case File Crack the Code CVC Words
- Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice
- Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build
- Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Easter CVC Words Activity
- Christmas CVC Words on Santa’s Sleigh
- Star Wars CVC Games
- 4th of July CVC Words Activity
- Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity
- Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Roll and Read CVC Sentences
- Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets
- Farm CVC Animal Words
- Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Heart Penguin CVC Words
- Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes
- Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice
- Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump
- Spring Bird CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word Activities
- Reading Words Free CVC Printables
- Short a words Reader
- Caterpillar CVC Word mats
- Snowman CVC Words Activity
- BUMP! CVC Words Game
- Christmas CVC Words Printable
- at Family Words Worksheets
- Planting Carrots CVC Activity for Kindergarten
- Secret Decoder CVC Word Activities
Star wars printables
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Star Wars Game <<