Become a detective and solve the case by deciphering the cvc words. These free worksheets will make practicing phonemic awareness, beginning sounds, reading, and spelling FUN! Simply download the pdf file with these free printable, Crack the Code Worksheets for pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students!
Crack the Code Worksheets
Learning to decode words by listening for the sounds alphabet letters make is hard work for young learners, but practice makes perfect! These outrageously fun kindergarten worksheets are sure to make it fun to work on reading skills and phonics.
Whether you are a parent looking for some extra practice or summer learning, a classroom teacher making a fun literacy center or homework pack, or a homeschooling mom adding fun educational activities as a supplement to your reading and English curriculum, these Crack the Code Worksheets are sure to be a hit with your preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students.
Fun Kindergarten Worksheets
There are 5 pages of black and white pages. These are no prep, just pull out and you are ready to improve reading skills! There are over 50 cvc words “cases” to solve with these crack the code worksheets printable.
- cap, jam, cot, tad, pop, bad, mad, had, zig
- can, man, pop, fan, mop, hat, lip, cat, mom
- egg, dog, red, log, fat, hop, fun, pan, rap
- jam, fan, dad, zap, pot, ram, vet, gas, pal
- gem, pep, pen, tip, sad, bam, bat, mix, rot
FREE CVC Words Worksheets
To complete the pages have students look at the first picture clue and say the word out loud. Have them listen for the words beginning sound. Now write the alphabet letter that makes that sound in the space below the picture. Continue until you’ve completed the mystery word. Finally, sound out the cvc word you spelled.
The last word on the image above shows popcorn, so kids will write “p”. Then it shows ask so students will write an “a”. Finally there is a cute clipart image of a lemon so children will write “l”. When they sound out the word they will realize they’ve spelled pal.
You can decorate the case files in these phonics worksheets by coloring in the pictures with crayons, markers, colored pencils, etc. At the back of the pack you will find an answer key to save you time quickly checking your child’s work.
CVC Words Activities
Looking for more activities to practice sounding out cvc words to improve reading fluency? Check out all these free printable resources!
- Fun CVC secret decoders
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Simple CVC short A books
- CVC Word Puzzles
- Caterpillar CVC Words
- 25 Free CVC Word Games & Activities
- Snowman CVC Word Activity
- Fun CVC Word Clip Cards
- CVC Printable Clip Cards
- Reading CVC Words Activity
Crack the Code Worksheets for Kids
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal / home use only. To use in a classroom, please purchase the teacher licensed version in my shop.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.