Help kids work on phonemic awareness as they practice listening for beginning sounds with this fun, hands-on Fish kindergarten phonics activities. This phonics activity is also perfect for preschool, pre k, and first grade students. Children will love the super cute fish theme and sorting the fish into alphabet fish bowls based on the beginning sound of the clipart image on the fish.
Kindergarten Phonics Activities
This free printable phonics game is a great way for preschoolers, kindergarteners, and grade 1 students to practice listening for the sounds letters make. For this kindergarten phonics activity simply sort the super cute fish by the beginning sound of the picture on each of them into the correct aquarium bowls A-Z.
Whether you are a parents, teacher, or homeschooler – this hands-on phonics activity is a fun, engaging way for students to practice phonemic awareness! Use this in a fish them, f is for fish letter of the week program, as extra practice, summer learning, literacy center in your classroom, or a supplement to your homeschool language arts curriculum.
Free Phonics Printables
I suggest printing this kindergarten phonics activities in color and on cardstock or laminating for durability. This super cute free printable fish activity is great to help children practice beginning sounds with a hands-on educational activity.
Phonics activities for kindergarten
Next, carefully use scissors to cut out apart the fish bowls and fish. There are 4 bowls per page and a fish bowl for every alphabet letter from A to Z. There are two fish for students to place in each bowl.
Phonics activities kindergarten
You can give kids all the bowls at one time, a couple at a time. Students will say the name of the clipart pictured on the fish. They will listen for the beginning sound (great phonemic awareness practice) and then place the fish in the bowl featuring the letter that makes the sound they heard. In the example above the blue fan fish and the brown football fish have been put in the letter f bowl. The student will now put the blue house fish in the letter h bowl.
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Super cute, Free Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets using Do a Dot Markers
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
Plus, don’t miss our most popular alphabet printables including our: Alphabet Coloring Pages, Alphabet Worksheets, Alphabet Printable Hats, Alphabet Playdough Mats,vAlphabet Do a Dot Printables, Fruit Loop Alphabet Printable Snack Mats, and printable alphabet crafts.
Phonics Fishing Game
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!