These FREE printable Color Sorting Mats are a fun, hands-on activity to help toddler and pre-k students work on color recognition. Plus this math activity for kindergartners gives children a chance to practice sorting colors and learning color names too. Download pdf file with free printable color sorting mats and you are ready to learn preschool colors and kindergarten colors.
Color Sorting Mat
Most students LOVE games and puzzles, so anytime you can combine a game with learning you are onto a winner. These mats are a great way to help students work on color sorting. You will love this practical kindergarten math activity for learning colors. As it is the beginning of the school year you are probably working on color recognition and sorting. This Color Sorting mat activity includes 6 sorting mats each one for a different color. There are also 6 picture cards for each color: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Brown, and Orange.
Free printable color sorting mats
Color Sorting Printable
Download the file, print onto cardstock and laminate for durability. Cut out the sorting mats and the individual color cards. Separate them into two piles. Place the sorting mats in one pile and the color cards in another pile. Shuffle the color cards.
Color sorting mats
Invite students to choose a color sorting mat. Help students read the color word shown in the corner of each sorting mat. The color word is also printed in the correct color to act as a visual cue.
Direct students to sort through the color cards and find the 6 puzzle pieces with the same color as the color word on the mat. This game can be used multiple times throughout the school year or as an independent station once students are comfortable playing it themselves.
Sorting by color worksheets for kindergarten
- Use this activity with preschoolers.
- Do a couple of mats at a time.
- Talk about the things you see in the pictures.
- Children may need help with sorting.
- Use the color mats with other manipulatives such as blocks, magnetic letters, or buttons
- Print out copies of the sorting mat on paper and invite children to fill the squares with drawings in the correct color. Brainstorm different objects that might be a certain color. Then invite them to draw and color their own pictures.
Color Activities for Kindergartners
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Kite Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Turkey Coloring Pages
- Pearl Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words Puzzles
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Fruit Loop Color Activitity for Kindergarten
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Mat
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
- Chameleon Color Worksheets for Kids
- Coloring Flowers Science Experiment
- Sandcastle Color Matching Activity
- Colorful Oil & Water Science Experiment
Looking for our most popular content? Here it is!
- Grab this ABC coloring book free download for some fun learning with prek/K
- Bingo Dauber Printables to practice making upper and lowercase letters
- Just print and practice with these kindergarten alphabet worksheets
- Looking for convenient printable crafts? You will love these letter crafts!
- Super cute alphabet cards to trace with fingers, dry erase markers, or playdough
- Find the Letter worksheets where children dab the letter to make snow in the snow globe
- Learn kindergarten colors with these free printable sorting mats!
- Alphabet Playdough Mats are a great, hands on alphabet activity
- Kids will love uncovering the zoo animals in these color by number worksheets
- Practice tracing letters with these alphabet worksheets for kindergarten a to z
- Sneak in some summer learning with these summer kindergarten worksheets
- Print this free traceable alphabet to help young learners work on fine motor skills
- Make learning your ABCs fun with these handprint alphabet ideas
If you have a kindergarten or teach kindergartners, you don’t want to miss all our fun and FREE kindergarten alphabet worksheets, free kindergarten worksheets, kindergarten math printables, easy science projects, kindergarten English, crafts for kindergartners, and kindergarten activities.
Download Free Color Sorting Mats
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only. To share, please share a link to our site so others can download their own copy directly.
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- All downloaded materials provided are copyright protected.
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!