Help kids explore and learn while having fun this holiday season with this super cool Ornaments christmas science experiments. In this Christmas STEM Project, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students will use a battery, magnet, and copper wire to make a motor to make free printable ornaments go around like a merry go round. This is a simple electronics project that will surely engage and impress students throughout the month of December. Don’t miss this spinning science project that makes the best christmas activities for kindergarten.
Christmas Science Experiments
This simple christmas science project is such a cool December science experiment for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. After decorating free ornament printable, children will build a simple motor with just 3 simple materials. This is such a fun simple electronic projects that is sure to WOW your students while allowing them to learn and explore with a Christmas activity for kids.
You will be creating a homopolar motor with this project. Don’t worry, we will show you how to make a simple motor and it is not as hard as you may think! This just may be our favorite Christmas activity for kids we’ve done!
Christmas Activities for Kindergarten
All you need to complete this christmas themed science experiments are a few simple materials you may have laying around:
- Copper Wire (this is the one we used)
- Small round magnets (these are the ones we used)
- 3-in-1 pliers with cutter (we used these)
- AA batteries (you will need one for each spinning Christmas tree you want to create)
- ornaments printable
A quick note about safety. Please use common sense when using cutters and batteries as they can cause damage if not used and handled carefully. Also magnets are a known chocking hazard and should not be used by small children or any children without careful adult supervision.
Christmas STEM Activities
Now to make your christmas science experiments preschool you will need to carefully snip off about 10 inches of copper wire. Now you are going to fold the wire in half and use your pliers to make a tight point. Now open up the sides to make a flat horizontal line. You just made the part the Christmas tree is going to spin on while sitting on top of the battery.
Leave about 2 inches on each side of the point and then fold the copper wire down 90 degrees. (you basically making a box).
At this point you need to get the right hight. So put 3-6 magnets on the bottom of the double a battery (the side that is flat). You will stand the batterup on top of the magnets and your copper wire box will sit on top and going around the battery.
TO make your final folds, you will want to fold it (again at a 90 angle) in to complete the box. You need the last side to be parallel to the magnets to complete the circuit. Not toching, but on the same horizon.
In the download their are several sizes for your child to experiment with. You will want 4 ornaments your kid will color, cut out and tape onto the top right and left corner. Then turn over the copper wire box and use a rolled tape on two other ornmanets so you will see pretty ornaments as your merry go round science project spins.
Se the box on top of your battery so that the middle “stand” is on the bump or plus of your battery. It should start spinning slowly at first and get faster and faster. If that doesn’t happen immediately try these trouble shooting ideas:
- use a different battery
- make sure it is basically balanced (good kindergarten math skill!)
- make sure the bottom ends are next to the magnets
- Try turning the magnets around (still at the bottom)
This easy christmas science experiments is sure to WOW and impress children of all ages as they learn a little about trial and error, how electronics works, make a fun STEM project for December, and have fun learning! If you are looking for another fun way to explore using your battery, magnets, and copper wire – try our Spinning Christmas Tree Christmas STEM Activities.
Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Spinning Christmas Tree Christmas Science Project
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Beautiful Borax Crystal Christmas Tree Science Experiment
- Melting Christmas Tree Science Experiment for December
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment
Looking for more free Christmas worksheets to make learning fun for Kinders during December, you’ve got to see these activities!
- Nutcracker Worksheets – HUGE pack of themed worksheets to work on math, literacy, and more!
- Christmas Spelling Activity
- Free Nativity Printables include over 50 pages of math and literacy activities for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade
- Practice sight words with this hands-on activity with these Free Christmas Printables
- Chocolate Worksheets Printables are winter themed practice sequencing for kindergartens
- Use these Christmas Printables and confetti to practice tracing uppercase letters
- Fun candy cane sight words activity for early learners
- Polar Express Telling the Time Worksheets
- Free Christmas Skip Counting Worksheets
- Santa Sleigh Christmas Printables CVC Words Activity
- No Prep Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Practicing Counting this December with this Christmas Counting Book
- Free Christmas Printables Letter Tracing Strips
- Word Family Sort Christmas Printables
- Christmas Counting Clip Cards
- Soring Colors Christmas Printables
- Christmas Color by Number to 100
- Bingo Dauber Christmas Math Worksheets
- Letter Find Christmas Worksheets for Kids
- Color by Sight Word Christmas
- Christmas Counting to 20 Puzzles
- Super cute Grinch Alphabet Christmas Printables Puzzles
- Cut and Paste Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Free gingerbread man sequencing activity
- Gingerbread man Comprehension Questions Printable
- Addition Gingerbread Man Printables
- Gingerbread Man Printables Sight Word Coloring
- Christmas Around the World Worksheets
- Free Christmas Worksheets
Plus don’t miss these fun Christmas Crafts and activities!
- Easy Christmas Suncatchers Craft
- 31 Magical December Crafts for Kids
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Printable Hat Craft
- 200 Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Rudolph Race Christmas Game
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than
Download Ornaments Printable
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!