Christmas makes everything extra fun! We’ve done this magic milk experiment before but for some reason adding in Christmas colors, it makes it so exciting it’s like we had never seen the reaction before. So I would highly suggest trying out this Magic Milk Experiment with a festive flair perfect for making learning fun in December. This Christmas Science experiment for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students is so easy and fun to watch – it does not disappoint!
Magic Milk Experiment
There is something about mixing red and green with a few sprinkles that excites my daughter. And honestly me too. There is some magic in those two colors that screams holiday season! This milk food coloring experiment is such a fun twist on a classic magic milk science experiment. And we love easy Christmas Science Experiments to help kids discover the wonder of the world around them as they learn and explore. This is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students.
Grab a few supplies and lets get experimenting, Christmas style!
All you need to try this quick and easy Christmas Science activity with your kiddos are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- Food Coloring (Christmas Red, dark green, neon green)
- Dish Soap
- Optional: Christmas Sprinkles
- Plate or Shallow Bowl
- Toothpick or butter knife
Christmas Science Experiment
Pour the milk onto the plate. You don’t need too much, just enough to cover the bottom of the plate.
Next, drop in the food coloring. A few drops of green and a few drops of red in various places. Completely random, but spaced out from each other.
Christmas Activities for Kindergarten
You can swirl the colors with a toothpick or butter knife. Not too much but just to move the color more around the plate. But don’t mix it in with the milk.
When you’re ready, add a couple drops of dish soap. You will instantly see the colors swirl around the milk. It is like the colors turned into ballroom dancers, just floating on the milk.
Christmas Activities for Preschool
This milk and dish soap experiment was explained to me like cleaning up butter. The dish soap helps cut the fat and grease. The dish soap does the same type of thing with the fat of the milk. It separates the two liquids and makes the colors dance!
When dish soap is dropped into milk, there is a swirl of activity of soap molecules finding and bonding with fat molecules in the milk. With millions of molecules swirling around looking for mates, the colors in the milk get all mixed up! It looks like the milk is erupting for several seconds.
Christmas Activitiety for kids
Besides being very fun to watch, it is seriously so beautiful. It is not something that could be made twice in the same way, it’s that type of beauty. Just like a sunset. We have sunsets every night, but they are different each time!
Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Spinning Christmas Tree Christmas Science Experiments
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Beautiful Borax Crystal Christmas Tree Science Experiment
- Melting Christmas Tree Science Experiment for December
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe
- Ornaments-Go-Round Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment
Preschool Winter Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Christmas Science Experiments Dissolving Peeps Activities
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
Preschool Christmas Crafts
- Gingerbread Alphabet Tracing – Christmas Activity for Preschoolers
- HOliday Gingerbread Sight Words – Christmas Activities for Kindergarteners
- How Do you Make EASY Snow Clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Beautiful Chromatography Christmas Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Christmas Science Lime Battery Electricity Experiment for Preschoolers
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Homemade Christmas Cards Ideas for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Construction Paper Christmas Wreath Craft Decoration for Kids
- Christmas Candle Craft for Kindergarten
- December Holiday Coloring Pages for Kids
- Christmas Name Craft and Activity for Preschoolers
- Christmas I Spy Printable Worksheets
- FREE Christmas Scavenger Hunt Game for Kids
- Christmas Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Easy-to-Make Hat Christmas Craft for Kids
- Fun to make Christmas Playdough Mats
- These Christmas sight Word Games help kids work on reading fluency.
- Kids will have fun practicing patterns with this Free Christmas Patterns Activity
- Help kids work on color recognition with these Stockings Christmas Color Game
- Practice Counting to 20 with these Christmas Tree Playdough Mats
- Ornaments Go-Round Christmas Science STEM
Science Projects for Kindergartners
- Water Balloon Science Experiment
- Salt Crystal Hearts
- Egg Density Experiment
- EPIC Snow Volcano Science Project for Winter
- How to make Frost in a can Science Experiment
- Free Animal Habitats sticker Worksheets
- Flower Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kids
- Colorful Oil & Water Science Experiment
- Candy Science with pretty skittles, lollipops, m & m’s and more!
- Red white and blue science experiments
- Why Does it Float? (Density for Kids)
- EASY Air Pressure Experiments with an Egg for Kindergartens
- Fizzing Christmas Ornament Christmas science experiments
- Free animal habitats kindergarten worksheets with stickers!
- Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- EASY! Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Are permanent markers permanent? Paper Chromatography experiment
- Simple Bending Water Experiment
- You MUST try this pretty, impressive Glitter Volcano science project