Now that winter will be here soon, bring the fun of winter indoors without having to put on mittens. This fun frost in a can project is a classic winter science experiment for kids that toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders love to make over and over again. The how to make frost activity is simple enough that children can do it with ease, and it is also classroom friendly.
Frost in a Can
Making frost in a can is a fun science activity for kindergarten kids. Kids will love that they can try this frost experiment at home without getting cold. Try this how to make frost project with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This is such an engaging, easy winter science experiment perfect for December, January, and February.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this salt and ice experiment is a simple science experiment to teach kids how does frost form.
To try this simple frost experiment you only need a few simple materials you probably already have at your home.
How to make frost
Fill the can up with ice, then fill it about halfway with water. Now show the kids how to sprinkle salt in the can, then cover the top.
Salt and ice experiment
Frost will start forming on the outside of the can. If you think your frost needs a little help, try adding a bit more salt or shaking it up a bit more.
How does Frost Form
Condensation forms when the temperature inside the can varies drastically from the temperature outside the can. When you use ice and lower the melt point of the ice, the process happens faster and more drastically, causing frost to form on the outside of the can. Make sure you see all our Kindergarten Science Activities!
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Easy Winter Science Activities
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Super cute, count-to-10 Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Snowman Printable
Science Projects for Kindergartners
- Water Balloon Science Experiment
- Salt Crystal Hearts
- EPIC Snow Volcano Science Project for Winter
- Egg Density Experiment
- How to make Frost in a can Science Experiment
- Free Animal Habitats sticker Worksheets
- Flower Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kids
- Colorful Oil & Water Science Experiment
- Candy Science with pretty skittles, lollipops, m & m’s and more!
- Red white and blue science experiments
- Why Does it Float? (Density for Kids)
- EASY Air Pressure Experiments with an Egg for Kindergartens
- Fizzing Christmas Ornament Christmas science experiments
- Free animal habitats kindergarten worksheets with stickers!
- Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- EASY! Dancing Hearts Science Experiment
- Are permanent markers permanent? Paper Chromatography experiment
- Simple Bending Water Experiment
- You MUST try this pretty, impressive Glitter Volcano science project