You’ve probably tried the classic volcano experiment. But have you tried a ketchup volcano? This easy volcano experiment is super simple to make and makes a super cool, red erruption that will delight kids of all ages! Try this simple volcano experiment with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too.
Get ready to take your volcano science project to the next level with catsup! This ketchup volcano only requires 4 ingredients to make an EPIC erruption at home, in the classroom, or in your homeschool coop. The secret – ketchup is made with vinegar which causes the ketchup and baking soda volcano to errupt through a simple chemical reaction. Whether you are studying earth science or just want an outrageously cool chemistry science experiment, you’ve got to try this easy volcano experiment. This homemade volcano experiment is perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students too.
All you need to complete this fun science project for kids are a few simple supplies you probably already have on hand.
- plastic cup
- newspaper, tape, clay, and paint to make a volcano – this can be as simple or involved as you like!)
- 1 generous cup ketchup
- 1 squirt dish soap
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
Easy Volcano Experiment
Start by making your volcano with the plastic cup in the center. You can use anything you have on hand -the experiment will work no matter how involved or simple your volcano looks.
In a cup mix ketchup, dish soap, and water. Pour it into the plastic cup in your volcano.
Simple volcano experiment
Add baking soda and watch the erruption occur!
Homemade volcano experiment
The red ketchup makes the lava and eruption look like the real deal!
Ketchup and Baking Soda Volcano
So why does this work? Ketchup is made with vinegar, which reacts with the baking soda to make carbon diosixed gas. The gas gets trapped in the soap which createds a bubbly volcano.
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow a Rainbow – Capillary Action Experiment for Kids
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Easy Lemon Volcano Summer Experiment
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids
- Water Balloon Painitng Summer Activity for Kids