Nursery rhymes are enjoyed by young children and it teaches so much: from language and literacy to numeracy to social skills and all kind of other skills. These counting rhymes are such a fun way for preschool, pre-k, and kindegarten age children to learn new math skills, Using a clever paper plate and spinner clock to tell time with Hickory Dickory Dock, 5 little monkey or Itsy Bitsy Spider to work on simple counting, and more – these counting nursery rhymes are sure to be a hit with your children!
Make practice counting FUN for preschoolers and kindergartners by using nursery rhymes for kids. These nursery rhyme activities do a lot more than teach litearcy, they are counting nursery rhymes too! Using counting rhymes helps kids master counting in order and even counting backwards without realizing they are learning math. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love these math nursery rhymes. Teach simple kindergarten math using counting rhymes and so much more!
Nursery Rhymes Activities
- Starting off with a list of rhymes (with words) that specifically help with simple counting.
- Oh, and here is a nursery rhymes curriculum you might find interesting.
- A cute rhyme for Fall is Five Little Pumpkins , make pipecleaner pumpkin finger puppets or get counting with stickers.
- Another popular rhyme is Itsy Bitsy Spider, or do you say Incy Wincy Spider? Play this Itsy Bitsy Spider race to 20 Math game, so fun!
Counting Nursery Rhymes
- Sing 5 Little Ducks and make this rock craft and play out the rhyme or print and color the ducks.
- This DIY Felt set is just too cute, perfect for a felt story board!
- Make Five Currant Buns for pretend play, perfect for a kindergarten classroom.
- Use this Five Little Monkeys sing and stick printable activity or make a bed from a box and use monkeys on craft sticks for THIS fun fine motor and counting activity.
Math nursery rhymes
- Count AND learn to read time with a paper plate and a fidget spinner pairing it with Hickory Dickory Dock .
- Make a shape craft clock or use numbered pegs to clip around a cardboard clock.
- Make cute pirate finger puppets and say/sing the rhyme Five Little Pirates.
- I love this idea for the rhyme Five Little Speckled Frogs : finger puppets from a cut glove!
- Alternatively, use a cardboard roll or pool noodle to manipulate the frogs as you sing.
- Fish for magnetic numbered fish and order it to go along with the rhyme 1,2,3,4,5 Once I caught a fish alive… or set up this fun Tuff spot activity.
- Count and help Little Bo Peep who has lost her sheep with this sensory activity using colored shaving foam.
So many fun nursery rhyme activities that teach counting! Which activity will you try out with your child first?
Looking for more free kindergarten math printables and fun math activities for kindergartners? We’ve got lots of fun kindergarten math:
- Pirate I Spy Worksheets are a really fun way for kindergartners to work on counting and visual discriminiation skills!
- Farm Animals I Spy Printables
- Bugs I Spy Worksheets
- Summer Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Zoo Animals Color by Number Worksheets
- Ocean Color by Number Printable
- Hundreds Chart Battleship
- Dinosaur Color by Number Printable Worksheets
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Color by 100s Chart
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition
- Gingerbread Man Sequencing Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Sequencing with There was a cold lady who swallowed some snow pdf
- Count and Trace with Candy Pumpkin Printables
- Kite Skip Counting Math Craft (free printable!)
- Sandcastle Math Subtraction Craft (freebie)
- 100 Number Sense Activities and Games
Kindergarten Math Printables
- What Comes Next Math Pencil Strips
- Farm Do a Dot Printables Numbers – use bingo daubers to make numbers 1-10, count farm animals, and trace numbers too
- Dinosaur Math Worksheets for practicing a variety of math skills
- Snowman Place Value Worksheets
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets
- Star Wars Number Tracing
- Free Printable Writing Number Worksheets
- Teaching about currency with Money Puzzles
- Learning about Coins Money Sorting Mat
- Hot Dog Number Words Activity
- Kindergarten Shapes Worksheets
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Super cute Goldfish Addition
- Count and smash Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Free Sticky Number Bonds Kindergarten Worksheets
- Polar Express Telling the Time Worksheets
- Kindergarten Summer Pool Beach Balls Count and Trace Numbers 1-20
- 70 Fun and FREE Kindergarten Math Games
- Super cute, Free Printable Coloring Calendar 2021
Looking for our most popular content? Here it is!
- Grab this alphabet coloring pages for some fun learning with prek/K
- Bingo Dauber Worksheets to practice making upper and lowercase letters
- Just print and practice with these free printable alphabet worksheets
- Looking for convenient FREE printable alphabet crafts? You will love these letter crafts!
- Super cute lower case letter tracing cards to use with fingers, dry erase markers, or playdough
- TONS of free printable sight word books pdf
- Dinosaur Color by Number Printable
- Free Printable Days of the Week Worksheets are super handy for teaching the days of the week
- Letter Find Snow Worksheets where children dab the letter to make snow in the snow globe
- Learn kindergarten colors with these free printable sorting mats!
- Fun I Spy Farm Animals Worksheet Pack
- Alphabet Playdough Mats are a great, hands on alphabet activity
- Free Color Soring Printable Mats
- Kids will love uncovering the zoo animals in these color by number worksheets
- Practice tracing letters with these a to z worksheet for nursery
- Sneak in some summer learning with these summer kindergarten worksheets
- Print this traceable letters to help young learners work on fine motor skills
- Make learning your ABCs fun with these handprint alphabet ideas
Plus, don’t miss our other FREE kindergarten worksheets and games including THOUSANDS kindergarten worksheets FREE, learn your letters with our Kindergarten Alphabet worksheets, print kindergarten math worksheets or play a kindergarten math game, try an easy kindergarten science experiment, make a cute kindergarten craft, plan your week with our kindergarten themes, grab one of our many kindergarten social studies worksheets, learn to read with word family activities. plus lots of kindergarten sight words activities! We have everything you need for a complete kindergarten homeschool curriculum! Visit 123homeschool4me if you are looking for even more free worksheets or Preschool Play and Learn for preschool worksheets
These activities are so cute and educational, thank you so much! Our island was hit by a very strong hurricane several weeks ago and we've lost many resources; these activities are very easy to put together and I'm sure they will make my kids happy as well! ?