This Hickory Dickory Dock Telling Time Game is such a fun kindergarten activity using this classic nursery rhyme.
Nursery Rhyme Activities for Kids
- Roses are Red Violets are Blue Activity
- 5 Little Snowman Rhyming Activity
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Name Recognition Activity
- Farmer and the Dell Rhyming Bin
- Hickory Dickory Dock Telling Time
- Five Little Monkeys Activity
- Printable 5 Little Monkeys Reader
Hickory Dickory Dock Telling Time Game
Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock… A popular nursery rhyme for children and a perfect opportunity to incorporate learning about time! Make a clock from a paper plate and combine it with a spinner to turn it into Hickory Dickory Dock Telling Time Game!
To make this paper plate clock you will need:
- 2x paper plates
- Clock arms cut from craft foam or cardboard
- Fidget Spinner
- Plate One – mark your one plate as a 12 hour clock writing numbers 1-12 clockwise around the plate. (For young children only make the 12 hour clock.)
- Plate Two – the other plate must be marked with the digital clock numbers. Cut the 12 hour clock as shown above so that the flaps can be lifted to see the corresponding digital clock numbers counting by 5s. Again going clockwise around the clock from 5-60.
- Glue the two plates together and make a mark in the middle of the top plate to the place the spinner.
- Add the “clock arms” to the spinner and place in the middle of the plate.
Spin the spinner to see what time you have to add to the rhyme
For instance, the above time is 8 o’clock, so change the 1 o’clock in the rhyme with 8 o’clock:
“Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock, the clock struck 8, the mouse ran down, Hickory Dickory Dock.” Even though it does not rhyme like the original 1 o’clock, it does not matter much since the objective with this activity is to learn to read a clock.
Your older kids can use the digit clock at the back for extension time-related learning activities in the place of using the nursery rhyme. For instance, let them write down the digital version of the time the spinner lands on.
Telling Time Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, free, and hands on activities for teaching kids to tell time? You will love these resources!
- You will love this fun, engaging Free Printable Telling Time Games Tic-Tac-Toe
- Super cute insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Free Printable Telling Time Games MAZES
- Students will have fun practicing counting American money with these Coin Value Clip Cards
- Telling Time Puzzles – make practicing using a clock a game for young learners with this telling time game
- Telling Time Game BUMP!
- Clever Snowman Telling Time Activities
- Hands-on Hickory Dickory Clock Game
- 26 Fun Telling Time Activities Games