Do you have a bird feeder hanging outside your house? We didn’t until this weekend. Because watching birds is so much fun, we make a cute popsicle stick bird feeder. The best part about this bird feeder craft is it actually works and birds will flock to your home to eat while you get to enjoy bird watching. This is a fun spring craft for kids, activity for a bird theme, or summer activity for kids!
Popsicle Stick Bird Feeder
Kids are going to love making this patriotic craft that will help feed the birds. This diy bird feeder for kids will allow you to watch them through my window, perched on a bird feeder or bird house. We hung this popsicle stick bird feeder right outside our kitchen window so we can easily see all of the birds. You will love this easy diy bird feeder you can make as a summer craft for kids or spring activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students.
Bird Feeder Craft
All you need to make this simple bird feeder are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand at home!
- Acrylic Paint: Red, White and Blue (or whatever color you like)
- Popsicle Sticks
- Hot Glue & Glue Gun
- Pipe Cleaners or Ribbon
DIY Bird feeder for kids
We started by making the base of the bird feeder. I used one popsicle stick, laid down on the table to measure the length allowed for the base. Does that make sense? So the length of one popsicle stick, from one end to another, let’s say horizontal, is how many vertical popsicle sticks we used. We laid them flat, made sure they were even and glued one popsicle stick across the top and another across the bottom.
Now you’re going to layer the popsicle sticks on the edge like lincoln logs. One on the top and bottom, then one on each side. Repeat until you read the height that you prefer. This is totally a preference thing. How much bird seed do you want in the bird feeder? We used hot glue dots on each corner to glue it all together. It held up very well.
Now it’s time to decorate. We painted two opposite sides in white and one of the others is blue while the other is red.
We didn’t paint much of the inside because you won’t be able to see it when the bird seed is in it.
Easy diy bird feeder
Next for our popsicle stick craft, we turned it over and painted the bottom. This is the part that will mostly be seen because it is facing down. We did ⅓ red, ⅓ white and ⅓ blue. Then we dotted polka dots on it to make it even more festive. When I thought it was done I said, awesome- it looks great. My daughter started counting the polka dots, though. She said MOM, there are 46 dots. If we add 4 more there will be one for each state. I thought that was pretty clever, so we dotted four more dots.
It’s time to create the way that the bird feeder will hang. We chose to use pipe cleaner. We did this because it is stronger, less flexible than most thin twine. We figured that it would blow in the wind less if it was pipe cleaner instead of twine. We tied one pipe cleaner to two corners, diagonal from each other. Then twisted the two pieces together on the end.
Next we added bird seed. The really small pieces of seed will fall through the cracks between the popsicle sticks but once it was hanging, this didn’t happen. We hung it on a hook that we already had on our back patio and it sits there still. Waiting for birds to come snack on the seeds.
This is such a fun and EASY bird feeder. Kids of all ages will love making this! See lots more popsicle stick crafts!
- First Day of Summer Printable Hat
- Watermelon Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Practice making letters with this hands-on Watermelon Printables
- Count to 20 with these Watermelon Summer Playdough Mats
- Smore Skip Counting Activity
- Count to 10 Vegetable Printables
- Counting Farm Animals Worksheets
- Zoo Animal Worksheets
- Summer Maze Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets
- Summer Counting Clip Cards
- Printable Summer Math Worksheets
- Grab these Summer Free Printable Bookmarks and a book off our Kindergarten Book List
- Bee Ten frame addition worksheets pdf
- Grill and Count Summer Playdough Mats
- Ice Cream Counting to 20 Activity
- Free Bubble Word Family Activity
- Pirate Number Sense Game
- Ice Cream Pattern Activity for Kindergarten
- I Spy Ice Cream Printables
- Hot Dogs Number Words Activity
- Fishing Math Craft is a fun Number Bond Activities
- Practice writing with these summer writing prompts for kindergarten worksheets or Build and Write Lego Writing Promtps
- Practice Tracing Letters with this summer themed Ice Cream Printables
- Work on phonics skills with these Beginning Sound Activities for summer
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Practice counting and tracing with these cute Sandcastle Summer Worksheets
- Surfboard Opposite Puzzles
- Camping Worksheets to work on math and literacy skills with kindergartners
- Seeds Find the Letter Worksheets
- Garden Seeds Adding to 10 – Addition Activities for Kindergarten
- Summer Kindergarten Worksheets to work on math
- Swimming Goggles Alphabet Matching Game
- Pool Summer Counting Count and Trace Activity for Numbers 1-20
- Practice letter tracing on these cheery summer tracing worksheets
- Summer Color by Number Worksheets
Summer Activities for Kids
- Silly Grass Craft for Kids
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets
- Fun Seeds and Plants Activities for Kindergarten
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Lego DIY Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Sidewalk Chalk Recipe
- 31 July Crafts for Kids
- Amazing Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Bubble Painting
- 2 Ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- Marshmallow Shooter STEM Activity
- How to Make a Lava Lamp
- Stunning Coloring Flower Science Experiment
- 107 Summer Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun craft projects? Whether you want to make popsicle stick, paper plate, or handprint art projects – we’ve got so many fun ideas. We even have monthly crafts for kindergarten ready for you to quickly pick a project. Sneak in some fun math with our kindergarten math crafts. And of course, don’t miss our hugely popular printable alphabet crafts!
- Lots of Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
- Super cute, free printable farm animal puppets
- Hundreds Paper Plate Crafts for Kids from A to Z
- Make one of these flower crafts
- These precious keepsake handprint alphabet craftshelp your child to learn the alphabet at the same time!
- Grab your craft sticks, you are going to want to make all of these cool popsicle stick crafts
- Make practicing math fun by making one of these FUN and FREE Math Crafts
- Brr! It may be cold outside, but stay warm in a winter wonderland with these snowflake crafts
- Get ready for the first day of school with these Back to School Crafts
- WE have tons of monthy kindergarten crafts
- Plus don’t miss these super cute and FREE abc crafts for lowercase letters