Kids will be delighted to see their turkey take shape as they sort all the word family feathers with the right turkeys. This Turkey Word Family Sort is such a fun, hands on activity to help kids learn to listen for and recognize similar sounds in words. This activity also includes turkey word family worksheets for students to write down the words they hear.
Turkey Word Family Sort
We like making learning fun! This activity is a hoot and perfect for November with a Thanksgiving theme! The cute, colorful turkeys are fun to create and it provides excellent practice for kids learning to read and write.
Start out by printing the file. You will end up with 15 pages each representing a different word family that include a colorful turkey and feathers. Laminate each page and cut apart. You will print the last 5 pages in black and white; these are for helping kids practice writing down the simple word family words they hear.
HINT: This activity was created to be modular. Print out only the turkeys for the word families you want to work on.
I suggest giving students three turkeys to work through at a time. We handed out all the turkeys with the same middle vowel together. So the “ig” “ip” and “in” turkey bodies along with their feathers. Students will say the name of the picture out loud and listen for the ending sound / word family. Then they will put the feather on the turkey with the same ending sound. Continue until each turkey has 5 feathers.
HINT: In case you get stuck on what a picture represents, each page has the word listed. For centers you may want to write the name of the picture on the back of each feather before laminating to make it a self correcting activity.
Word Family Worksheets
Students can now complete the turkey word family worksheets. They will go one turkey at a time saying the words and writing down the word by the appropriate turkey on their sheet. This is such a great activity for phonemic awareness, reading, phonics, spelling, and practice writing letters.
Plus the activity is reusable, making it a great literacy center for November or at home practice to repeat.
- Thanksgiving Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Printable Thanksgiving Writing Activities
- Thanksgiving Color by Letter
- Free Thanksgiving Theme
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Thanksgiving Sight Word Coloring
- Arthur’s thanksgiving activities
- HUGE Pack of Thanksgiving Worksheets
- Thanksgiving Alphabet
- Life Cycle of a Turkey Printable Worksheets
- First Thanksgiving Reader – Thanksgiving First Grade Printable
- Thanksgiving Counting by 10s
- Candy Corn Printable – Count and Trace the Turkeys
- Thanksgiving Color by Number Addition
- Hands-on Turkey Math Count to 10
- Turkey Spin – Thanksgiving Shapes Printables
- Subtraction Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Thanksgiving Color by Number
- Cut and Paste Thanksgiving Worksheets
- Free Thanksgiving Math Worksheets & Games
- Thanksgiving Color by Hundreds Chart
- Addition Pumpkin Patch Game
- Edible Turkey Craft
- Thanksgiving Hat Printable
- Turkey Craft with cup and feathers
- Paper Plate Turkey Craft
- Turkey Colour matching
- Cute Turkey Craft with cup and feathers
- Super cute Turkey Crafts for Kids
- Thanksgiving pre-Writing Worksheets
- Turkey Crafts with Pumpkin Seeds
- Printable Turkey Colors Printable Sorting Activity
- Thanksgiving Playdough Cards
- Turkey Packing Peanut crafts
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Skits
- Thanksgiving BINGO
- Easy Paper Turkey Craft
- FREE Thanksgiving Pictionary for Families
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Super cute Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Christmas Phonics Activity for working on phonics skills with word families!
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Activity
- Turkey Word Family Sort
- Word Family Sliders Free – lots of styles to print in color or black and white
- Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables
- Easter Egg Word Families Activity
- Word Family Flowers Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Transportation Word Family Slides Printables with blends
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Free printable Rhyming Word Families Kindergarten
- Lion Words Family Printable – read and clip
- Planting Carrot CVC Words worksheets
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activities
Thanksgiving Books for Kids
Download Turkey Word Family Sort
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!