If you are looking for a fun spring math to add to your resources, you will love these kindergarten word problems with springtime themes. Kindergarten math word problems can be tricky for kids, but are so important. These kindergarten story problems have not only a math problem and a cute picture to draw their interest, but helpful help for solving the problem too. Simply print the Kindergarten problem solving worksheets and you are ready to play and learn this March, April, and May.
Kindergarten word problems
Practice addition and subtraction with these fun spring math word problems. Our free printable pack is perfect for Kindergarten students. It’s a great way to practice skills and have some fun at the same time. Click through to snag your copy today!
It can be tough to teach word problems, especially to young students who are just starting to learn how to read. There are so many skills that are needed.
- They must read the text.
- Find the information in the text to answer the problem
- Do the math correctly.
That is quite the task for beginners.
Kindergarten math word problems
You may be asking yourself, should we even tackle this at the kindergarten level? Might it be better to wait?
Is it easy? Absolutely not at first. However, children can learn how to do this if we take small steps with lots of practice.
Take time to consider this. We don’t want students to simply memorize math facts as that doesn’t lead to a good understanding of numbers. Our goal is to help each student understand math concepts first. Then develop math fluency. Word problems allow children to explore how numbers work and to see them in action.
Benefits of Math Word Problems
Giving Kindergarten students the chance to learn how to do math word problems packs loads of learning into one activity. It helps
- Develop logical thinking and mathematical reasoning.
- Provides students with the chance to try mathematical thinking in a hands-on way.
- Gives students a different way to practice specific operations such as addition and subtraction.
- Keeps math fun and relevant, especially if they can apply it to their own lives.
Free Printable Math Word Problem Worksheets
Our printable set of kindergarten math word problems will help your students practice addition and subtraction to 10. These worksheets teach children to break down a math word problem into simple steps.
Each sheet has a couple of sentences that describes a problem that needs to be solved using a mathematical calculation. The information they need to solve the problem is given in text rather than numbers.
Our Kinders are concrete thinkers, so the worksheets use manipulatives to act out the story. This allows them to see and physically experience the word problems.
They can write out the number sentence to solve the problem as they participate in the story. Finally, the number line is included to help children do the math problem.
The worksheets have a spring theme, so they are great for this time of year. However, they are pretty generic and could be used at other times of the year. They are effortless to prepare. Just print and go!
Kindergarten math problems
You need to do some group work with the children before using these worksheets. The idea is to get them used to the concept and the language. The easiest way to do this is to use everyday examples with your students.
- I have 4 green crayons and 3 yellow crayons. How many crayons do I have altogether?
- I collected 4 pairs of scissors in this box. Here are 6 more pairs of scissors to go in the box. How many scissors are in the box altogether?
- There are 8 blocks in this bag, and I will hand out 4 blocks. How many blocks will I have left in the bag?
- We have 7 balls to play with today. 6 of the balls are green, and the rest are yellow. How many are yellow?
Once your students have had plenty of practice with you, it’s time to move on to the worksheets.
Kindergarten story problems
There are six main steps
- Read the problem and talk about the story.
- Circle all the numbers and highlight the math words.
- Cut out the manipulatives at the bottom of the page.
- Use manipulatives to act out the story.
- Write the number sentence at the same time.
- Do the math problem.
Draw the children’s attention to the vocabulary as you start to do word problems. Students need to learn how to spot the word clues that tell them how to calculate the answer. In this set of worksheets, we use the following terms.
- The rest
Once the scenario has been completed, students can glue the correct number of manipulatives in place and fill out the number sentence as they do. A number line is provided to help them find the answer to the equation.
There are five worksheets in the free file. The first four are different types of word problems, and the last one is blank so that children can make up their own problems. Wouldn’t it be fun to make a class book of problems?
Math problem solving for kindergarten
Our worksheets feature a spring theme with butterflies and flowers. Students cut out the manipulatives at the bottom of the page. Then use these to act out the scenario and solve the problem.
- The first sheet is an “Add on” problem featuring Julie and some butterflies. Children cut out butterflies, “fly” one butterfly onto the picture, add six more, and count the total.
- The second sheet is an addition “Put Together” problem. This is probably the most straightforward sheet. Children cut out the plants and “plant,” two for Tom and three for James. They then count the total.
- The third worksheet is a subtraction “Take From” Problem. Students cut out 8 fireflies and put them in the jar. Then they fly 5 out of the jar and count how many remain.
- The fourth worksheet is a subtraction “Take Apart” problem and is probably the hardest one to do. It starts with a total and then divides the total into groups. As before, there is a space to act out the scenario. Direct students to cut out 6 flowers, color 4 orange, and the remaining flowers yellow. Then count the yellow flowers.
Kindergarten problem solving worksheets
The wonderful thing about these math problems is that kids practice their math abilities while also testing their reading and comprehension skills.
Another advantage of these word problem worksheets is that you can quickly spot how students found the answer. It’s simple to spot a mistake and move on from there.
Be aware that there may be multiple ways to solve math word problems. Congratulate children who find other ways to find the answer. Give them the chance to show what they did to the class.
They would be great for individual or group work. These questions could also be used as math warm-ups or as part of a center activity. Send them home as extra practice or have children pair up to work on them together.
Spring Alphabet Printables
- Mowing the Lawn Spring Alphabet Game
- Spring Alphabet Worksheets for preschoolers
- Alphabet Kite Craft
- Free Printable Flower matching game for preschoolers
- Rainbow Spring Letter Tracing for kids
- Spring Flowers Letter Matching Printable for Upper and Lowercase Letters
- Rainy Day Find-the-Letter Spring Worksheets
- Raindrop Letters Matching activity for spring
- Hop to it! Frog alphabet matching game printable
- Hands-on Caterpillar spring cvc words activity
- Printable spring bubble word family games
- April Writing Prompts Calendar
- Free May Writing Prompts Worksheets for K-4th graders
- Rhyming Words Spring Worksheets
- Simple, free Flower Rhyming Worksheets
- Printable Spring Emergent Reader
- Planting Carrots CVC Word Activity
- Frog free printable sight words games pdf
- Tulip spring rhyming words worksheet
- Carrot word family worksheets for kindergarten
Spring Math Activities
- Butterfly Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Free printable kite Skip Counting Craft
- Spring counting playdough mats
- Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Count to 10 Insect printables for preschoolers
- Fraction Flowers worksheets for kids
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar flashcards – numbers
- Bug Measuring Cards Free
- Raindrop counting activity for spring
- Spring carrot what comes next activity
- Flower free printable number bond worksheets for kindergarten
- Flower Tracing Numbers 1-30 pdf
- Spring Math Puzzles to work on counting and addition
Spring Math Activity
- Spring Counting Clip Cards
- Spring Birds, Free printable one to one correspondence activity with jelly beans
- Free printable missing number worksheets
- Spring Bunny counting number tracing cards
- Teen Number sense Flower Addition Worksheet
- Shape Flower Playdough Mats
- Printable Spring Tracing Worksheets
- Free Printable FLOWER shapes activities for kindergarten
- Vegetable counting from 1 to 10 clip cards activity
- Seeds Make 10 Addition Game
- Spring Addition Counting Clip Cards
- Kite Color Matching – free printable learning colors for toddlers game
- Free printable How to plant a seed step by step worksheet
- I Spy Farm Animals (great for visual discrimination & counting)
- Free Spring Math Worksheets
- Free Printable Spring Worksheets Preschool
- Backyard Critters Insect worksheets for kindergarten
- Spring color words worksheets using do-a-dot markers
- B is for Butterfly weekly theme
- Fun Ant activities for preschoolers (prek / k)
- I is for Inchworm activities for kids
- Match the Flower Worksheet for Kindergarten
- Spring lego challenge cards
- Fruit Loop Color Matching Umbrella Craft
- I Spy Spring
These science projects and spring science experiments are perfect for indoor or outdoor!
- How big is a Raindrop Experiment for kids
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Density water balloon science experiment
- Fun-to-Make, Beautiful Chromatography Butterflies for kids
- Vinegar and Baking soda Rocket Experiment
- Outrageously cool Lemon Clock project for kids
- Making butter in a jar experiment
- Balloon solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities
- Amazing Coke and mentos experiment worksheet
Spring Science Worksheets
These free science printables are a grea way to learn about the parts of a plant, plant life cycles, animal life cycles, to take along as zoo field trip worksheets, and more!
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Hatching Butterflies Observation Book
- Printable Butterfly Life Cycle Worksheet free
- Free Earthworm life cycle worksheet
- Nature Walk Activity Sheet
- Frog Life Cycle for Kids spinner activity
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Frog Worksheet
- Seasons on the Farm Printable
- Free Zoo fieldtrip worksheet
- Printable Animal Habitat Game
- Insect Life Cycle printable books
Spring Crafts for Preschoolers
Your kids are going to want to try these fun springtime craft projects.
- 30 DIY Bird Feeder projects to make with kids this springtime
- Gingho Leaf Umbrella Craft
- Bubble Wrap Umbrella Craft Preschool
- Cute toilet paper roll bunny crafts for kids
- 40 Earth Day Crafts
- Easy Impressionism for Kids spring art project
- Pasta Butterfly Craft
- Pop-up Butterfly Crafts for preschoolers
Flower Crafts for Kids
- 100 Beautiful Flowers Crafts for Kids to Make
- Flower Mason Jar Lid Crafts
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Celery Painted Tulip Flower Craft
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Ideas
- Felt Board Flower Craft
- Splatter Art Flower Craft for Kids
- Fine Motor Bead Flower Craft for Preschoolers
- How to Make a Flower Crown
- Cute printable flower craft for mothers day
- Super cute Printable Flower Craft for working on name recognition
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
Spring Activities for Kids
- Colorful Snake Bubble Activity for kids
- Spring pasta craft for kids
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Find monthly resources such are our March Crafts for kids or our March Activities for Kids!
- Check out our April Crafts for kids or our April Activities for Kids!
- Don’t miss these May Crafts for kids or our May Activities for Kids!
- Let’s ease into summer on June 21st with these June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT bubbles
Spring math for kindergarten
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!