Is your child working on colors? This hands-on color matching activity is the perfect Dinosaur Activity for your dinosaur theme. All you need for this dinosaur activity for kindergarten is the free dinosaur printable. Use these dinosaur activities for kids to work on color recognition while strengthening fine motor skills too! The fun part about this, for me, is that I can use this game in a variety of ways to help my child learn colors while strengthening other skills as well! Simply download pdf file with color matching game and you are ready to play and learn with colour matching activities.
Do you have a dinosaur fan at your house? Dinosaur themes are always big hits with toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners. So we created this fun colour matching game with fun dinosaur printables. Simply cut out the cute, colorful dinosaur set and have children match the big dinosaur with the little dinosaur featuring the same color: red, blue, orange, purple, green, or yellow. This dinosaur activity is quick and EASY! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these dinosaur activities for preschoolers!
Dinosaur activity for kindergarten
This activity is super simple to set up. You just need a few supplies and you’ll be ready to play and practice colors with your little one!
- Clothes Pins
- Printable Set
Dinosaur Activities for Kids
After you print out the dinosaur color set, you will see that there are six big dinosaurs and six small ones. Each size has 6 different colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple. Cut out each dinosaur. We cut around the circle of the smaller dinosaurs, but if you want to make that piece smaller and cut right around the dino, that is fine too. Once the smaller ones are cut out, you can glue them onto the closed side of a clothespin.
The larger dinosaurs, I cut right around the dinosaur with a little white hanging off. If you are wanting to use these dinosaurs over and over, I would suggest laminating the pieces. You’ll want to make that decision before you glue the small dinosaurs onto the clothes pins!
Colour matching activities
Once these are all prepped, there is the basic way of playing. Lay out the big dinosaurs randomly on the table top, then line up the clothespin dinos somewhat close. Children will grab a clothespin, match that dinosaur to the bigger dinosaur of the same color. They will then clip the clothespin onto the larger dinosaur.
This is not only helping with visual discrimination and color matching, it is strengthening fine motor skills. Using clothespins is a fantastic way for children to strengthen the muscles in their hands and fingers.
Color matching activity
If you have more than one child, you can do a color race. Place the big dinosaurs around the house in random places. Give one clothespin to one child and a different color to another. They can race around the house to see who can find and clip their color first. This can also be done with one child, just timing them using a stopwatch. Time them to see how long it takes to find say Red, then how long it takes to find blue. There is no real rhyme or reason to it, but racing around the house is helping build body strength and strengthen gross motor skills. And a good challenge or competition never hurt anyone.
Another idea for play is to add drawing to it. Put the clothes pins in a bowl or bag. The child will pick one out, clip it to the correct large dinosaur then grab that color of crayon, colored pencil or maker. On a separate piece of paper, they will draw something, other than a dinosaur, that is that color. So, if they pick red- they may choose to draw watermelon, a cardinal, or a heart. This extends the length of the activity and can be a seemingly quiet activity!
If you are looking for other fun, free dinosaur printables to make learning fun with a dinosaur theme you will love these resources:
- Dinosaur Ten Frame Addition
- Cute Hand Dinosaur Craft for Toddlers
- Dino Number Recognition Games
- Color Matching Dinosaur Activity
- Dinosaur Unit 2nd Grade
- Printable Dinosaur Color by Number Worksheets
- D is for Dinosaur
- Find the Letter Dinosaur Alphabet Fun
- Dino Bones Punctuation Game
- Dinosaur Worksheets Preschool
- Dinosaur Printables
- Printable Dinosaur Sight Words Activity
- Dinosaur Science Preschool
- Dinosaur Kindergarten STEM Activities
- Free Dinosaur Math Worksheets
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- EPIC Rainbow Activity for kids
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Rainbow Pom Pom Color Sorting
- Learn about Density with this BEAUTIFUL Rainbow in a Jar Experiment
- Rainbow Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this Rainbow Slime
- Active Painting with Cars activity for kids
- Pretty Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Color Changing flowers and food coloring flower experiment worksheet
- 40 Color Recognition Activities for Toddlers
- Colorful Oil and Water Experiment Worksheet
- Sandcastle colour matching activities
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- Cute Crayon Box Color Craft with free printable template
- Fruit Loop Alphabet Activity for Preschoolers
- Color Words flashcards Free Printable
- Free Preschool Color Book Printable
- Learning Colors Printables – color and trace
- Color Wheel – Free Color Matching Printables
- Kindergarten Color Matching Kite Activity
- Free Printable Color Sorting Mats for kindergartners
- Pearl Color Matching for Kindergarten
- Simple, Free Printable Color Scavenger Hunt
- Learning Color Word Puzzles
- Color Craft with free Octopus Printables
- Umbrella Fruit Loop Sorting Printable
- Quick Preschool Color Book Printable
- Cute Painting Worksheets – for learning colors
- Adorable Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Goodnight Gorilla Activities working on color recognition
- Mouse Paint Color Worksheets
- Chameleon learning colors worksheets for pre-k and kindergarteners
Dinosaur activities preschool
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!