These cute Alphabet Popsicles are such a fun, hands-on on way for kids to practice letter matching and phonics skills with summer activities for kindergarten. Use these way for preschool, prek, kindergarten, and first grade kids to practice beginning letter sounds and matching upper and lowercase letters.
Just because school is out for the summer doesn’t mean the learning should stop. Using fun, educational summer season activities for kindergarten allows kikds to reinforce what they’ve learned and keep learning to avoid the summer learning loss that is all-to-common with young learners! These alphabet popsicles have several levels depending on if you are using it with kindergartners or as a summer activity for preschoolers. So add this alphabet activity to your summer lesson plans for kindergarten!
If you completely stop reading, practicing math, and working on learning your alphabet letters you wil have a huge summer learning loss – teachers see students typically loose 30% of what they learned the previous year! YIKES! It is important to keep kids learning all June, July and August long so they come back to school not only ready to learn, but ready to move on to new, more advanced material in their new grade! These fun printable alphabet puzzles are a fun, playful way for kids to practice matching ABC letters with the sound they make.
Printable Alphabet Puzzles
Summer activities for kindergarten
These phonics alphabet puzzles are super cute and such a FUN way for preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students to matching alphabet letters – upper and lowercase letters as well as listening to the sounds letters make as they practice matching letter to beginning sounds with a fun summer twist.
I suggest printing the abc popsicles in color on cardstock. You may also want to laminate them for durability. This will ensure they survive all the hands on alphabet practice your child will have with this ABC printable! Finally, cut out the popsicles for this phonics game. This printable take a little work to cut out carefully, but they are well worth the effort! I store the pieces in a large ziplock bag so they are ready to pull out and play at a moments notice. These also make a great summer themed addition to a literacy center for May or August. (see cutting instructions below)
Summer activity for preschoolers
- 2 Part Uppercase and lowercase Letter Match – simply cut the popsicle apart at the top line so only the orange part is apart. This is great for preschoolers and prek to practice matching upper and lower letters.
- 3 part Phonemic Awareness Puzzles – Cut apart the popsicles at both the top orange line AND cut apart the red stripe as well. Students will need to match both by visual discrimination AND by listening for the beginning sounds of the clipart shown. This listening for phonemic awareness is a great starting point for sounding out words, phonics, and reading independently!
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Super cute, Free Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets using Do a Dot Markers
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
FREE Alphabet Printables
Looking for more abc printables for kids? You have tons of free alphabet printables
- Fun Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Find the Letter Worksheets
- Disney Alphabet Coloring Pages
- free alphabet printables for toddlers
- Alphabet Book Printable – a book for each letter of the alphabet from A to Z
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Alphabet Mazes to practice ABCs
- Cut and Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Super Cute Printable Alphabet Hats
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Phonics Fun with Printable Alphabet Popsicles Puzzles
- Summer Mazes Sight Word Worksheets
- Watermelon Fact Families Worksheet
- W is for Watermelon Craft
- Ice Cream Printable Count to 20 Activity
- Seed Packet Find the Letter Worksheets
- Alphabet Puzzles Free Ice Cream Game
- Summer Playdough Mats to work on counting
- Bubble Word Family Activity
- Swimming Goggles Letter Matching Puzzles
- 30 Epic August Crafts for Kids
- Pool Counting & Writing Numbers 1-20
- Summer Sun Alphabet Tracing Cards
- Free Printable Zoo Scavenger Hunt
- See all of our Preschool Alphabet resources!
Ice Cream Printables
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- AMAZING, Edible Play Doh Ice Cream Recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Work on tracing letter with these free printable Ice Cream Alphabet
- Delicious Ice Cream Alphabet Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Plus check out these Ice Cream Alpabet Playdough Mats
- Practice adding to to with these cute Ice Cream Make 10 Game
- Cute, Hands-on Ice Cream Number Bonds Practice
- Printable Digraph Activity scooping Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
- Cute Ice Cream I Spy Worksheet
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Count to 20 as you Build your Ice Cream Math Sundae
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages
- Fun and EASY How to Make your own Ice Cream in a Bag
- Scoop up Ice Cream Counting Printable
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- I is for Ice Cream handart project for kids
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Fun Ice Cream themed Shape Playdough Mats
Download Popsicle Phonics Alphabet PuzzlesBy downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to use in a coop or classroom please purchase a classroom licensed edition here TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!