It is time to celebrate Fall with our FREE Fall emergent reader. This simple book will give early readers a chance to practice number recognition, number tracing, colors and counting up to 10.
Fall Emergent Reader
Has Fall arrived in your part of the world? At the moment we are enjoying the fall colors and garden harvests. My boys always enjoyed Fall. They would rake enormous piles of leaves to jump in and go to the famer’s market to pick out the perfect pumpkin. It is always a bittersweet time of year for me. I love the warm Fall days but know that winter is just around the corner. Still we always managed to enjoy the Fall days.
One of my favorite activities with kids is to create small seasonal books that invite them to notice the changes in the world around them.
Have you tried making little books with young children? Most kids love doing this. So, with this in mind, we designed a simple printable early reader with a fall theme. It is designed for kindergarten age children who are just starting to practice number recognition and reading simple site words.
This activity would pair well with our fun Apple Themed Bundle
What is An Emergent Reader?
An emergent reader is very simple book that perfect for students starting to read. They usually use
- Simple vocabulary
- Repetitive patterns of words
- Large print and limited number of words on each page
- Pictures that clearly illustrate the text
The Value of Emergent Readers in Kindergarten
Emergent readers are at just the right level for children learning to read. The simple words and repetitive patterns allow young leaners to experience success in reading.
Naturally, they cover a lot of the Kindergarten common core reading standards including
- Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
- Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
- Read common high-frequency words by sight
- Read emergent-reader texts with purpose and understanding.
What’s Included In Our Fall Emergent Reader?
This easy reader is perfect for this time of year. It provides the opportunity to practice
- Reading the high frequency words “I” and “see.”
- Counting the number of objects and trace over the numeral.
- Read number and color words.
- Color recognition
Each page follows the same pattern. This makes it easy to read and children will quickly pick up what they need to do. The final page invites students to draw and write about Fall.
- Fall Counting Book file
- White Paper
- Art supplies
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Download the file and print the number of copies you will need.
- Cut each page in half
- Stack the pages with the cover on top
- Staple along the left-hand side of the book.
How to Use the Fall Emergent Reader
Start by reading a book about Fall. Try Hello Fall by Deborah Diesan
Then brainstorm all the things you notice in Fall. You could ask what do we
- See in Fall?
- Hear in Fall?
- Smell in Fall?
Distribute the Fall Counting Bookand read it together. Count the objects together and point to the numerals. Direct them to trace over the numerals with pencils.
If you wish, invite children to find the color words and underline them with crayon or marker in the same color
finally Invite children to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, etc. to color the pictures and complete the last page. Send the books home and encourage parents to ask their child to read the book aloud.
Looking For More Printable Early Readers?
You will love these resources:
- Thanksgiving Emergent Reader
- Fall Shapes Emergent Reader
- Pet Shop Count to 20 Emergent Reader
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Emergent Reader
- Short i words Emergent Reader
- Color the Shapes Emergent Reader
- Princess Reader Books
- Counting Snowman Emergent Reader
- Compound Words Emergent Reader
- Kindergarten Sight Words Emergent Reader
- Springtime Sight Words Reader
Leaf Crafts for Kids
Looking for more fun fall craft projects? Check out these fun ideas:
- Autumn Watercolor Salt Painting Leaf Craft
- Crayon Resist Fall Leaf Art
- EASY Fall Leaf Crafts for Preschoolers
- Stunning Suncatcher Fall Leaves Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Lots of Fall Crafts for kids of all ages
Fall Crafts for Kids
- Fall Crafts for Preschoolers
- Printable Hat Fall Craft for Preschool
- Wreath Fall Craft with free printable leaves template
- Fall Leaf Printing Activity for kids with markers
- Cute Cereal Fall Tree Craft for Kids
- Styrofoam Peanut Fall Tree Craft
- 100+ Fall Crafts for Kids
- Kadinsky Inspired Fall Leaf Art Project
- FREE Fall Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Scarecrow Worksheets Pack with 50+ pages of math and literacy skills
- Fall Sequencing Cards and Sequencing Worksheets
- Learning Colors Printable Fall Games
- Letter Matching Leaf Printable Activity
- Fall Worksheets Pack with 50+ pages of math and literacy skills
- Fall Theme or Fall Theme Preschool
- Cute Fall Playdough Mats
- Fall Do a Dot Printables
- Color Word Fall Worksheets
- Fall Books for Preschoolers,these fall picture books, or these fall books for kids
- Simple Fall Coloring Pages
Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- Alphabet Fall Printable
- Scarecrow Short O Words Printable
- Fall Sight Words Game
- Nonsense Words Fall Activities for Kindergarten
- Color by Letter Fall Worksheets
- Squirrel Fall Worksheets for kids
- Cute Fall Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Nature Fall Scavenger Hunt or this Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt
- Beginning Blends Fall Activity
- Syllable Clip Cards Fall Activity for Kindergarten
- Free Fall Writing Prompts
- Leaf Alphabet Letters Matching Activity
- Color Words Fall Emergent Reader
- Fall Science ideas for kids
- Counting Fall Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Fall Playdough Mats – Counting Leaves
- Skip Counting Fall Math Worksheets
- My Fall Counting Book – Fall Activity for Kindergarten
- Fall Nubmer Words Donut Worksheets
- Fall Counting Book for Pre-K
- Acorn Counting Game
- Count and Clip Fall Math Activities for Preschoolers (or this pumpkin set)
- Fall Math Counting Crows Activity
- Addition Fall Worksheets with Stickers (sticker alphabet fall worksheets or number recognition fall worksheets or color recognition fall worksheets)
- Fall Activities sorting pretty leaves by shape
- Printable Fall Number Game for Preschoolers
- Fall Color by Number
- Number Tracing Fall Worksheets
Pumpkin Activities for Kids
- Phonics Printable Pumpkin Activities
- Pumpkin Activities Printable Shape Matching Game
- Parts of a Pumpkin Craft
- Pumpkin kindergarten sight word games online
- Number Bonds Pumpkin Math
- Pumpkin Matching Game
- October Crafts for Kids
- Counting Free Pumpkin Activity Printables
- Candy Count and Trace Pumpkin Activities
- Pumpkin Printables Counting Mats
- Learning Shapes Pumpkin Playdough Mats
- Shape Game – Pumpkin Activities for Preschoolers
- Counting Spider Activities
- Pumpkin Traceable Letters
- Letter Find Pumpkin Worksheets
Apple Activities for Kids
- Find the Letter Apple Worksheets
- Number Apple Coloring Pages
- Apple Sight Words Tree
- Apple Browning Experiment with FREE Oxidation Worksheet
- Stunning, Easy Apple Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Fun Paper Plate Apple Craft for kids
- Easy Apple Core and torn paper Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Hole-Punching, Count to 20 Apple Activities for Preschoolers – free printable
- Alphbet Puzzles – Apple Activities for Preschoolers
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds – print in black and white or color
- Skittles Apple Science Experiment for Kids
- Free Printable Apple Experiment Worksheet
- Yellow Fluffy Apple SLime
- Scented Apple Playdough Recipe
Are you looking for more FREE Printable Readers? We have lots of printable emergent reader books for your child to read as they practice sight words, compound words, learn about history, discover countries around the world, and dive into science too! See all our Emergent Readers here!
- Princess free printable books for beginning readers
- Tangled and Brave free pre-primer reading passages
- Fall Printable Book Reader
- Cars and Toy Story free printable sight word books pdf
- Snowman Counting Book Reader
- Free Printable Superhero Short Story pdf
- Frist thanksgiving story for kindergarten pdf
- Farm free printable books for beginning readers
- Counting Farm Animals Reader
- Trace the Shape Books Printable
- Preschool Color BOok Printable
- Fall Emergent Reader for learning color words
- Hungry Caterpillars Days of the Week Printables
FREE printable books for beginning readers
- 1920s for Kids Emergent Readers
- 1930s for kids Emergent Readers
- 1950s for Kids Emergent Readers
- Australia for kids Emergent Reader Books
- Greece for Kids Emergent Readers
- England for Kids Emergent Reader Books
- Titanic for Kids Emergent Readers
- Voting for Kids Emergent Reader
- Rosa Parks for Kids Emergent Readers
- Greek Mythology for Kids Emergent Reader Books
- Kenya for Kids Emergent Readers
- Dental Health Emergent Readers
- Compound Word for Kids Reader
- Human Body Printables Emergent Reader
- Sea Turtle for Kids Emergent Readers
Fall Emergent Reader
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!