This simple, but fascinating apple oxidation experiment allows children to learn why apples turn brown and what prevents apples from browing with a hands-on apple science experiment. Try this apple activity for kids this September with pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. Simply print apple worksheet and you are ready to try this apple browning experiment!
Apple Browning Experiment
Looking for a fun and useful apple experiment. This apple browning experiment uses real apples and various liquids you have around your house to hypothesize and discover what prevents apples from browning. In this simple apple science, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students will discover why apples turn brown. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this apple activities as part of your apple theme or science centers during September and fall.
What is Oxidation
Oxidation can happen to metals, fruit, and other substances. It simply means a chemical reaction occured that resulting in an electron is removed. When the inside of an apple is cut, the inside is exposed to oxygen in the air, a chemical reaction occurs where an electron is lost through oxidation. The oxidation (visually the browning of the surface of a fruit) can be prevented by removing the oxygen from the equation and vacuum-packing the fruit, adding heat and cooking the apple slices, or by coating the surface with an acidic liquid, like lemon juice.
Let’s explore some common household items and see if any of them can prevent oxidation in apple slices.
Apple Oxidation Experiment
To try this simpler apple experiment all you need are a few simple materials:
- pen and paper for labeling
- free apple science worksheet (below)
- lemon juice
- baking soda
- small containers
Science experiments with apples
Apple Science Experiment
First things’s first, you need to make a label for each liquid so you don’t forget which one is which. Don’t forget one of them should be “air” for your control variable. Having a control variable is necessary so that you can compare it to the other apples that have been submerged in various liquids.
Now, pour the liquids into separate containers with the labels next to the corresponding containers. Place an apple slice in each container so that it’s submerged in the liquid.
Wait a few minutes and take out the apple slices. Place the apple slices on a cutting board or plate and put the corresponding labels next to them. Wait two hours and check on the apples.
Science with Apples
Discuss the progress of the oxidation and write what you are seeing on your apple oxidation worskheet.
Why Apples Turn Brown
Wait another hour and check on the apples. Discuss any new observations and record them on your worksheet.
What Prevents apples from browning
Finally, after 5 hours total, check how brown the apple slices are and record observations on the free worksheet. Your child can draw the oxidized apple slices in the space provided on the worksheet.
- Red Apple Pie Slime Activities for Preschoolers
- Green Laffy Taffy Apple Slime
- Yellow Fluffy Apple SLime
- Awesome Apple Pie Playdough Recipe
- 3-in-1 Apple Activities for Toddlers
- Printable Apple Tray Counting and Writing
- Scented Apple Playdough Recipe
- Super Soft, No-Cook Apple Playdough for Fall
- Free Apple Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Printable Apple Life Cycle Spinner
- Skittles Apple Science Experiment for Kids
- Free Printable Apple Experiment Worksheet
- Apple Volcano Experiment and Activity for Kids in September
- Simple Apple Science Experiment and Activity for September
- Apple Browning Experiment with FREE Oxidation Worksheet
- Apple Stem Activity – Practical Engineering Challenge for Kids
- Melting Apple Science Experiment for September
Apple Crafts for Kids
- Cute Apple Handprint Craft for Kids – w/ free printable
- Easy Apple Core and torn paper Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Alphabet Lacing Apple Craft
- Clever Bubble Wrap Apple Craft
- Coffee Filter Apple Craft
- Plus don’t miss this FUN Apple Crafts Preschool
- Stunning, Easy Apple Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Fun Paper Plate Apple Craft for kids
Looking for more fun apple and activities and free apple printables? You will love these apple activities for kindergarten and apple activities for preschoolers!
- Math Apple Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Super cute and FREE Apple Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Apple Roll and Cover Dice Game
- Printable Apple Math – Number Bonds Activity
- Hole-Punching, Count to 20 Apple Activities for Preschoolers – free printable
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting
- Apple Addition Coloring Worksheets
- Number Bonds Apple Math
- Apple Counting Worksheet
- Free Printable Multiplication Games
- Letter A Worksheets, printables, and games for kids
- Apple Themed Free Alpahbet Strip pdf Activity
- Alphbet Puzzles – Apple Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Apple Sight Words Tree
- Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheets pdf with a fun Apple theme
- Apple Letter A Activity sorting upper and lowercase letters for pre-k and kindergarten
- Printable Apple Compound Words Worksheet
- Find the Letter Apple Tracing Worksheets
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds – print in black and white or color
- Color the correct apples in these Nouns and Verbs Worksheets
- Apple Theme BUNDLE
- Simple Johnny Appleseed Coloring Page
- Fun Johnny Appleseed Activities
- I Spy Preschool Apple Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.