It is time to celebrate Fall with our FREE Fall emergent reader. This simple book will give early readers a chance to practice number recognition, number tracing, colors and counting up to 10.
Fall Emergent Reader
Has Fall arrived in your part of the world? At the moment we are enjoying the fall colors and garden harvests. My boys always enjoyed Fall. They would rake enormous piles of leaves to jump in and go to the famer’s market to pick out the perfect pumpkin. It is always a bittersweet time of year for me. I love the warm Fall days but know that winter is just around the corner. Still we always managed to enjoy the Fall days.
One of my favorite activities with kids is to create small seasonal books that invite them to notice the changes in the world around them.
Have you tried making little books with young children? Most kids love doing this. So, with this in mind, we designed a simple printable early reader with a fall theme. It is designed for kindergarten age children who are just starting to practice number recognition and reading simple site words.
This activity would pair well with our fun Apple Themed Bundle
What is An Emergent Reader?
An emergent reader is very simple book that perfect for students starting to read. They usually use
- Simple vocabulary
- Repetitive patterns of words
- Large print and limited number of words on each page
- Pictures that clearly illustrate the text
The Value of Emergent Readers in Kindergarten
Emergent readers are at just the right level for children learning to read. The simple words and repetitive patterns allow young leaners to experience success in reading.
Naturally, they cover a lot of the Kindergarten common core reading standards including
- Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
- Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
- Read common high-frequency words by sight
- Read emergent-reader texts with purpose and understanding.
What’s Included In Our Fall Emergent Reader?
This easy reader is perfect for this time of year. It provides the opportunity to practice
- Reading the high frequency words “I” and “see.”
- Counting the number of objects and trace over the numeral.
- Read number and color words.
- Color recognition
Each page follows the same pattern. This makes it easy to read and children will quickly pick up what they need to do. The final page invites students to draw and write about Fall.
- Fall Counting Book file
- White Paper
- Art supplies
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Download the file and print the number of copies you will need.
- Cut each page in half
- Stack the pages with the cover on top
- Staple along the left-hand side of the book.
How to Use the Fall Emergent Reader
Start by reading a book about Fall. Try Hello Fall by Deborah Diesan
Then brainstorm all the things you notice in Fall. You could ask what do we
- See in Fall?
- Hear in Fall?
- Smell in Fall?
Distribute the Fall Counting Bookand read it together. Count the objects together and point to the numerals. Direct them to trace over the numerals with pencils.
If you wish, invite children to find the color words and underline them with crayon or marker in the same color
finally Invite children to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, gel pens, etc. to color the pictures and complete the last page. Send the books home and encourage parents to ask their child to read the book aloud.
Looking For More Printable Early Readers?
You will love these resources:
- Thanksgiving Emergent Reader
- Fall Shapes Emergent Reader
- Pet Shop Count to 20 Emergent Reader
- Count to 10 Zoo Animals Emergent Reader
- Short i words Emergent Reader
- Color the Shapes Emergent Reader
- Princess Reader Books
- Counting Snowman Emergent Reader
- Compound Words Emergent Reader
- Kindergarten Sight Words Emergent Reader
- Springtime Sight Words Reader
Fall Activities for Kindergarten
Looking for more fun, fall printables to make leaning fun for preschool, pre-k, and kindergartners? Take a peak at these:
- Pumpkin Shape Games for Preschoolers
- Fall Bingo Dauber Printables
- Pumpkin Pie Counting Activity
- Fall Sticker Worksheets
- Tracing Numbers Worksheets for Fall
- Fall Shapes for Preschoolers Printable Reader
- Autumn Color by Letter Kindergarten
- Fall Playdough Cards
- Free Printable Sight Word Games for Fall
- Fall Color by Number Worksheets
- Printable Fall Counting Worksheets
- Pumpkin Traceable Alphabet
- Fall Counting Pumpkins Reader
- Printable Hat Fall Crafts for Preschoolers
- Fall Number Mats
- Nature Scavenger Hunt Printables
- Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Fall Sequencing Activities
- Free Alphabet Flip Book Printable – apple theme
- Fall Number Game for Preschoolers
- Fall Worksheets for Preschool – HUGE pack!
- Cereal Fall Tree Craft
- Printable Leaves Fall Wreath Craft
- Leaf Printing with Markers – fun Fall Crafts for Preschool
Fall Emergent Reader
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!