Kids will love retelling the classic folktale The Little Red Hen with these super cute, free printable Little Red Hen Puppets. Use these little red hen characters printables with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students to work on literacy skills! Simply download the little red hen story printable pdf file and you are ready to play and learn with engaging the little red hen activities.
Little Red Hen Puppets
We all know that children learn best when they are playing. A storytelling center is a place where learning and playing go hand in hand. Speaking and listening occurs naturally when students work together to retell a story. We’ve created some story props to encourage children to tell The Little Red Hen. Simply print the little red hen puppets, cut out, and affix to craft sticks. These little red hen characters printables are super cute and engaging to help toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students be excited about learning while playing. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love using these little red hen free printables.
Little red hen characters printables
The little red hen story printable
Little Red Hen is an old folk tale with an important message. The little red hen asks her fellow farm animals for help to plant and care for some wheat. “‘Not I!’ they all respond, and so the little Red Hen does all the work herself.
No-one will help her grind the wheat or bake a loaf of bread/cake, either. However, when it comes time to eat the final product everyone wants some. Hen rightly points out you need to put in the work if you want to reap the reward. Then she eats the bread/cake herself (or shares it with her chicks in some versions of the book).
The simple story is a joy to read to young children and the ending seems to appeal to their sense of fairness. The repetitive phrases in the book make it easy for the children to learn the story. It is a great book for the kids for storytelling center, because it is a folk tale that is easy to remember. Many folk tales came to us through an oral storytelling tradition, so they are perfect for retelling.
Little red hen free printables
You will get the main characters that will allow children to retell the story. As the different books have variety of farm animals, we have included.
- The Little Red Hen
The mouse can double as a rat and the goose as a duck.
We have provided the puppets in full color and black and white
The little red hen puppets
- Print out a set of puppets and bonus sheets if you wish.
- Laminate for durability.
- Cut out the puppets and tape each one to a craft stick.
- Cut apart the story strips and glue them together in sequence. (If you are using the story sequence)
Now set-up the story center with some blankets to create a cozy retelling space. Put your props in a container next to a copy of the book in the center. It will be well used and may have to be replaced, but it is worth it.
The little red hen activities
You need to read the story aloud a few times before placing it in the retell center. Here is a suggested schedule over 5 days
1: Read it straight through as you would with any story.
2: Read it again prompting the children to tell you what happens next.
3: Read it pausing at the repetitive phrases, so the children can join in.
4: Ask the class to help you retell the story with the props.
5: Place the story basket in the retell center
A retell center will really help your kids develop a love of books through play. Comprehension and language skills are the foundations of early literacy. Children develop both as they listen to stories and tell them in a creative way. Children love retelling familiar stories. So, you will find that this center quickly becomes a favorite.
More Book Based Activities
Make your own 5 Little Monkeys Counting Book to go along with this classic story. Or continue practicing counting with this activity that goes along with If you Give a Moose a Muffin. Finally, you can practice number recognition to 100 with this Free Hungry Caterpillar Hundreds Chart Coloring.
- Happy Valentines Day Mouse
- Green Eggs and Ham Rhyming Activity
- Cat in the Hat Activity
- Blueberries for Sal Math
- Hank Finds an Egg
- Ice Cream Story Time
- Cookie Jar Story Time
- I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow Sequencing
- Twas the Night Before Christmas Hundreds Chart Coloring
FREE Alphabet Printables
Looking for more abc printables for kids? You have tons of free alphabet printables
- Fun Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Find the Letter Worksheets
- Disney Alphabet Coloring Pages
- free alphabet printables for toddlers
- Alphabet Book Printable – a book for each letter of the alphabet from A to Z
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Alphabet Mazes to practice ABCs
- Cut and Paste Alphabet Worksheets
- Super Cute Printable Alphabet Hats
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
- Super cute Alphabet Coloring Pages (posters)
- free printable alphabet worksheets
- Alphabet worksheets
- Super cute, printable alphabet crafts
- Uppercase Alphabet Letter Crafts
- Simple Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Fun Letter Recognition Worksheets for Kids
- Animal Themed Uppercase Letter Tracing Cards
- Looking for more free printables? We have lots of pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets 1st grade worksheets, and over 1 million pages of FREE worksheets for kids.
Looking for our most popular content? Here it is!
- Grab this ABC coloring book free download foe some fun learning with prek/K
- Bingo Dauber Printables to practice making upper and lowercase letters
- Just print and practice with these kindergarten alphabet worksheets
- Looking for convenient printable crafts? You will love these letter crafts!
- Super cute alphabet cards to trace with fingers, dry erase markers, or playdough
- Free Printable Days of the Week Worksheets are super handy for teaching the days of the week
- Find the Letter worksheets where children dab the letter to make snow in the snow globe
- Learn kindergarten colors with these free printable sorting mats!
- Alphabet Playdough Mats are a great, hands on alphabet activity
- Kids will love uncovering the zoo animals in these color by number worksheets
- Practice tracing letters with these alphabet worksheets for kindergarten a to z
- Sneak in some summer learning with these summer kindergarten worksheets
- Print this free traceable alphabet to help young learners work on fine motor skills
- Make learning your ABCs fun with these handprint alphabet ideas
Little red hen printables
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!