Few children’s books are as universally loved and known as those by Dr. Seuss. As the mom of some very picky eaters, Green Eggs and Ham is one of our family favorites! The green eggs and ham rhyme amuses children while lending itself perfectly to early reading practice. Keep reading to check out the green eggs and ham rhyming activities the story inspired! This green eggs and ham rhyming game is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders. Simply download pdf file with green eggs and ham activities and you are ready to play and learn!
Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
Green Eggs and Ham is one of Dr. Seuss’ most famous picture books. It’s a lyrical, rhyming story about a quirky character named Sam I Am. Sam I Am spends the story trying to entice a picky eater into trying some of his green eggs and ham. The green eggs and ham rhyming words delight young kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students alike. Sneak in some fun learning with this green eggs and ham rhyming activities perfect for celebrating Dr Seuss birthday on March 3rd!
Green eggs and ham rhyme
Rhyming words in green eggs and ham
The grumpy character insists he does not like green eggs and ham, no matter what circumstances Sam I AM offers them under. Eventually, the gloomy guy is so worn down, he agrees to try the green goodies, if Sam I Am will just give him some peace. The story is written in Dr. Seuss’ classic sing-song, lyrical rhymes.
Green eggs and ham rhymes
Kids will love the rhythm of the story. Awareness of rhymes is a crucial skill for pre- and early readers, making this a perfect choice for read alouds. The rhyming pattern allows even the youngest audience to offer guesses at the next word, helping them gain confidence.
Green eggs and ham rhyming
Green Eggs and Ham is a perfect choice for young picky eaters as well. The main characters may seem just as stubborn in their refusal to try something new as your own kids. Ultimately, it’s encouraging to see the gloomy man try – and even really like – a new meal. Who knows?! It may just inspire your own kiddos to open up and try something new as well!
Green eggs and ham rhyming game
After reading Green Eggs and Ham together, you and your kids will no doubt be in a rhyming mood! Take advantage of that enthusiasm by playing this fun rhyming memory game together.
- Free printable Green Eggs and Ham memory card pages.
- Glue or tape.
- Optional: laminating pouches, for sturdier playing cards.
Green eggs and ham rhyming worksheet
- Print out the free memory card pages (way better than one-time-use green eggs and ham worksheets)
- Use scissors to cut out the word cards, as well as the eggs and ham cards.
- Next use glue or tape to attach a ham or egg card to the back of each word card.
- There should be 1 egg card and 1 ham card for each rhyming match.
- Spread the rhyming cards out, ham or egg sides up, so the words are hidden.
- Players take turns choosing 1 ham card and 1 egg card, reading the word on each after choosing.
- If the words are a rhyming pair, the player keeps the cards and takes another turn.
- When the words are not a rhyming pair, replace the cards ham or egg side up. The next player takes a turn.
- The player with the most rhyming pairs at the end of the game is the winner!
Book Based Activities
Looking for more book themed printable activities for prek and kindergarten age kids? You will love these ideas:
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin Math
- Hank Finds an Egg Math
- Thanksgiving Story & Writing Prompt
- Night Before Christmas 100s Chart Coloring
- Fall Leaf Story Time with Shapes Activity
- Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
- Cat in the Hat Math
Looking for more practice rhyming? Practice does make perfect as the saying goes. We have lots free rhyming printables to help your children get lots of practice – from puzzles, matching activities, worksheets, games, activities and more. Plus don’t miss these rhyming books for kindergarten.
- These rhyming word worksheet pages are super cute and perfect for practice anytime!
- We have lots of fun rhyming puzzles to choose: simple rhyming words for kindergarten, robot rhyming activities, pencil rhyming word activity, or baseball cvc rhyming words
- These clipcards allow students to practice rhyming pictures
- Work on phonics skills with this rhyming ng words for kids game
- Lights… Camera…. RHYME! Camera Strips Rhyming word families
- Lion Rhyming Words Activities for Kindergarten
- Cooking up Rhymes Kindergarten Rhyming Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun Rhyming Games for Pre-k (cute school glue theme)
- No one does rhymes like Dr Seuss! Try our free printable Green Eggs and Ham Worksheets or One Fish, Two Fish Dr Seuss Rhyming Games
- Find the missing words Rhyming worksheets for kindergarten
- Printable Strawberry Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Hey Diddle Diddle rhyming pictures activity
- For your super-hero fan, you’ll love these superhero literacy rhyming mats
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhyming Words or these
- Pumpkin Worksheets and games that work on rhyming
- In December, try these rhming christmas worksheets for kindergarten or these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Check out these winter rhyming puzzles to choose from: hot cocoa puzzle winter activities for kindergarten, hat winter theme activity ideas for kinderarten,
- BUMP boardgame winter activity for kindergarten, cute mitten activities for kindergarten matching rhymes
- Practice rhyming with these fun Valentines cut and paste printables
- Looking for spring rhymes? Try these bunny spring rhyming words worksheets, cute egg puzzles with Easter rhyming words, butterfly printable rhyming games, planting tulips rhyming activity for kindergarten, st patricks day donut rhyming game, rhyming words on these flower worksheets
- or these rainbow activities for kindergarten matching rhyming w0rds
- In summer you’ll love this watermelon rhyming activity these flower rhyming worksheets, this matching rhymes summer activity for kindergarten, beehive Rhyming Games for Preschoolers, or this Bee Clip-it rhyming activity for kindergarten
- or this cute smore Matching Rhyming Words Activity
- Rhyming with Valentine’s Day cut and paste worksheets
- Lots of free rhyming activities for kids
- Super cute rhyming words worksheets pdf
Green eggs and ham activities
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!