Few children’s books are as universally loved and known as those by Dr. Seuss. As the mom of some very picky eaters, Green Eggs and Ham is one of our family favorites! The green eggs and ham rhyme amuses children while lending itself perfectly to early reading practice. Keep reading to check out the green eggs and ham rhyming activities the story inspired! This green eggs and ham rhyming game is perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders. Simply download pdf file with green eggs and ham activities and you are ready to play and learn!
Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
Green Eggs and Ham is one of Dr. Seuss’ most famous picture books. It’s a lyrical, rhyming story about a quirky character named Sam I Am. Sam I Am spends the story trying to entice a picky eater into trying some of his green eggs and ham. The green eggs and ham rhyming words delight young kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students alike. Sneak in some fun learning with this green eggs and ham rhyming activities perfect for celebrating Dr Seuss birthday on March 3rd!
Green eggs and ham rhyme
Rhyming words in green eggs and ham
The grumpy character insists he does not like green eggs and ham, no matter what circumstances Sam I AM offers them under. Eventually, the gloomy guy is so worn down, he agrees to try the green goodies, if Sam I Am will just give him some peace. The story is written in Dr. Seuss’ classic sing-song, lyrical rhymes.
Green eggs and ham rhymes
Kids will love the rhythm of the story. Awareness of rhymes is a crucial skill for pre- and early readers, making this a perfect choice for read alouds. The rhyming pattern allows even the youngest audience to offer guesses at the next word, helping them gain confidence.
Green eggs and ham rhyming
Green Eggs and Ham is a perfect choice for young picky eaters as well. The main characters may seem just as stubborn in their refusal to try something new as your own kids. Ultimately, it’s encouraging to see the gloomy man try – and even really like – a new meal. Who knows?! It may just inspire your own kiddos to open up and try something new as well!
Green eggs and ham rhyming game
After reading Green Eggs and Ham together, you and your kids will no doubt be in a rhyming mood! Take advantage of that enthusiasm by playing this fun rhyming memory game together.
- Free printable Green Eggs and Ham memory card pages.
- Glue or tape.
- Optional: laminating pouches, for sturdier playing cards.
Green eggs and ham rhyming worksheet
- Print out the free memory card pages (way better than one-time-use green eggs and ham worksheets)
- Use scissors to cut out the word cards, as well as the eggs and ham cards.
- Next use glue or tape to attach a ham or egg card to the back of each word card.
- There should be 1 egg card and 1 ham card for each rhyming match.
- Spread the rhyming cards out, ham or egg sides up, so the words are hidden.
- Players take turns choosing 1 ham card and 1 egg card, reading the word on each after choosing.
- If the words are a rhyming pair, the player keeps the cards and takes another turn.
- When the words are not a rhyming pair, replace the cards ham or egg side up. The next player takes a turn.
- The player with the most rhyming pairs at the end of the game is the winner!
Book Based Activities
Looking for more book themed printable activities for prek and kindergarten age kids? You will love these ideas:
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin Math
- Hank Finds an Egg Math
- Thanksgiving Story & Writing Prompt
- Night Before Christmas 100s Chart Coloring
- Fall Leaf Story Time with Shapes Activity
- Rhyming with Green Eggs and Ham
- Cat in the Hat Math
- Back to School Rhyming Activity – kids will be excited to practice rhyming words with these low prep puzzles
- Rhyming Rainbows is a springtime activity for kindergarnters to practice!
- Rhyming Word Family Strips – ready, set, action! These film strip themed rhyming activity is sure to be a hit with your students
- Dig into to this Farmer and the Dell Rhyming sensory bin for kids
- Butterfly Rhyming Game from 123 Homeschool 4 Me is a great way for kindergarten and first graders to practice this early reading skill
- If you are working on words with similar patterns mid year, try these super cute Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Rhyming Picture Clip Cards are a fun, resuable activity perfect for your next literacy center
- Strawberry Picking Rhyming cards are as fun as they are cute with the adorable summer clipart
- Sneak in some practice this fall with these Pumpkin Rhymes
- Kids love cut and paste worksheets! These Valentines Day Rhymes are a fun way to practice
- Robot Rhyming Puzzles are sure to be a hit with your young learners
- Rhyme in December with these Gingerbread Rhyming Puzzles
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
Green eggs and ham activities
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!