Kids will go nuts over this simple, flying ghost science experiment that combines a halloween activity for kids with some halloween science too. All you need are a few simple materials to try this spooky science experient that uses baking soda and vinegar to demonstarte a chemical reaction while have some silly fun. These pumpkin activities are perfect for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders to try in October.
Flying Ghost Science Experiment
I love sneaking in some fun, engaging Halloween experiments to our regular learning in October. Kids stay more engaged and eager to learn when we mix October activities with a simple ghost experiment. This halloween activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students is sure to delight your students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love the impressive WOW moment with this chemistry experiment for elementary age students.
Halloween Science Experiment
All you need for theis fun halloween activity are a few simple materials you may already have on hand:
- Baking soda
- white distilled vinegar
- empty water bottle
- funnel (optional)
- white balloon
- black sharpie marker
Spooky Science Experiment
First, fill the water bottle up with 1/2 – 1 cup of white vinegar.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
Next, blow up the balloon so you can draw a silly or spooky ghost face on each balloon with the permanent marker .
Then, fill the balloon with 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda. I used a funnel to get the baking soda into the balloon without too much spillage.
Ghost Experiments to do at Home
Carefully stretch the balloon over the mouth of the water bottle without letting any get in the bottle yet. When you are ready, lift the balloon so that it’s completely vertical which will dump all the baking soda inside into the vinegar.
Watch as the mixture inthe bottle begins to get white, fizzy, and begins pushing up highter and highter in the jar.
Halloween Activities for Preschoolers
As the chemical reaction occurs between the acid and base, carbon dioxide results. The CO2 air has no where to go so it pushes up out of the bottle into the balloon and begins filling the balloon.
The balloon will keep inflating making a super cute instant ghost. The ghost will continue to inflate until the chemical reaction of the material provided is exhausted.
Halloween Activities for Kids
So what is happening here? The baking soda and vinegar explanation is simple:
When baking soda is mixed with vinegar, something new is formed. The mixture quickly foams up with carbon dioxide gas. If enough vinegar is used, all of the baking soda can be made to react and disappear into the vinegar solution. … Sodium bicarbonate and acetic acid reacts to carbon dioxide, water and sodium acetate.
You can do just halloween balloon, or several to make a whole group of spooky ghosts. This is such a fun, engaging way for kids to learn a little about chemical reactions with a fun WOW moment.
This halloween experiment is so quick and easy you can add it to any halloween theme or a quick science activity during October.
- Hole Punching Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
- Beautiful Cardboard Tube Stamped Fall Tree Craft
- Cute Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Yarn Pumpkins Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- Scented Pumpkin Puffy Paint Craft for Fall
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Craft for kids
- Silly Spider Name Craft Activity for Preschoolers with FREE Printable
- 31 October Crafts for Kids
- Turkey Pumpkin Seed Craft
- Gummy Worm Slime
- Octoboer Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun pumpkin activity and craft ideas to try this autumn? Check out these fun ideas:
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern with this amazing Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity
- 50 fun Pumpkin Activities
- Edible Peep Pumpkin Playdough
- Pumpkin Goop with real pumpkin guts!
- Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids
- EASY, Edible Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try!
- Amazing Spider SLime
Pumpkin Activity for Kids
- Homemade Halloween Silly Putty Activities
- How to Make Pumpkin Slime
- Taste Safe Pumpkin Clay for Kids
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin Shape Activity with homemade Pumpkin Playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- Simple Skittles Pumpkin Science Experiment
- EASY Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Dissapearing Flying Ghost Halloween Science Experiment
- Flying Film Canister Ghost Rockets
- Frankenstein’s Hand Halloween Science Experiment
- Quickly Growing Pumpkin Science Experiment
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Volcano Halloween Science Experiments
Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
October Science Printables
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Free Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Worm Worksheets – practice math, alphabet, literacy, and more!
- Growing Worms Observation Book
- All About Worms Worksheets
- Pumpkin Counting activity that uses free printable and pumpkin candy corn to count and trace
- Count to 20 Pumpkin Playdough Mats
- Practice skip counting with this hands-on pumpkin math activity
- Super cute, free printable pumpkin addition game
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun, reusable pumpkin math worksheets are super cute and make practicing addition fun for kindergartners
- Work on color words with this free pumpkin worksheets for preschoolers
- Pumpkin Matching Game
- Even older students will have fun getting in on the pumpkin theme with these multiplication pumpkin math puzzles
- These order of operation puzzles are another fun pumpkin math activity for older students.
- Work on number bonds to 10 with these pumpkin math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Super cute pumpkin counting activity piling the “whip cream” on the pie slice
- Work on 0ne-to-one correspondence with this pumpkin math for Kindergarten
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes printable playdough mats
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense pumpkin activity for preschoolers
- Work on counting, adding on, and using a number line with this pumpkin counting activity
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Matching Games for Preshoolers
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this pumpkin math activity for pre-k
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Shapes Printable game for kids
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Printable Letter Tracing strips
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Game
- This find the letter pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Kids will love this phonics Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Pumpkin Letters for tracing alphabet with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Practice reading with these cute, clever and FREE Word Family Sliders Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- These super cute Pumpkin Letters and sounds puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzle pumpkin activities
- You’ll love these no-prep Pumpkin Worksheets where students will color by vowels
- These Pumpkin worksheets and printable activities work on rhyming skills to improve reading and spelling
- Find the Letter Alphabet Pumpkin Worksheets
- Printable October Writing Prompts
Candy Corn Activities
Looking for more candy corn activities for kids? You will love all these creative ideas!
- Free Candy Corn Words
- Candy Corn Edible Playdough
- Addition and Subtraction Candy Corn Math
- Phonics Puzzles with a fun Candy Corn Theme for Fall
- 28 Candy Corn Activities for Kids
- EPIC Candy Corn Popsicle Stick Catapults
- Candy Corn Multiplication and Division Puzzles
- Counting Candy Corn Puzzles
- Candy Corn Turkey Count and Trace
- Free Printable Candy Corn Alphabet Mats
Plus don’t miss our yummy pumpkin recipes for fall:
- Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Waffles
- Cute Pumpkin Krispy Treats
- Deliciuos Pumpkin Chili
- Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Lava Cake Pumpkin Dessert
- 40 Yummy Pumpkin Recipes
- Everyone’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread