The summer is the perfect time for sneaking in some fun summer science experiments while having an outrageously fun time with a summer activity for kids! In this density tower, children will learn about the layers of the ocean as they make a simple beach science experiment. This beach theme preschool activities is perfect for pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders too. You will love this clever ocean themed science experiments that is a cool twist on the classic density experiment for kids out there.
Ocean Themed Science Experiments
If you are looking for a fun science experiment with sand and water for your next beach theme, you will love this fun ocean themed science experiments. In this simple, but oh-so-fun density experiment for kids children will be introduced to the concept that different liquids have different densities and therefore don’t mix, but rather stack. Objects introduced will stay in the layer with the substance with the same density. Use this fun summer science as part of beach activities for kindergarten or summer camp, or just a way to keep kids having fun and learning. This simple density tower is perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students as a hands-on summer experiment.
Beach Science Experiments
All you need to try this simpler summer experiment for kids are a few simple materials including:
- mason jar (or similar)
- beach sand
- blue food coloring
- vegetable oil
- white shaving cream (optional, but great way to teach about one more layer of density)
- sea shells
- Ocean animals
Density Experiment for Kids
Start by filling the bottom of your mason jar or container with sand. You will want a couple of inches deep depending on the jar. Pour water with just 1-2 drops blue food coloring slowly into the jar, so it fills it about 2/3 full.
HINT: Don’t make it too dark or it will be hard to see the ocean animals and sea shells you are going to be puttig in. You just want a drop or maybe two for a hint of color to better see the layers of density.
Now sloly pour in vegetable oil until about an inch from the top of the jar.
Beach Activities for Kids
Sand is heavier than water and water is heavier than oil and oil is heavier than shaving cream (optional) on the top. That is why the density jar is layered that way.
If you were to put the lid on the jar and shake it really good, momentarily it would look like it was all mixed up with no layers any more. But let it sit still for a while. What is happening? They layers will seperate back out into what you see above. The oil is lighter and will rise up while the sand is the most dense nd will fall to the bottom of the mason canning jar.
Beach Theme Activities for Kindergarten
Now comes the fun part; you get to starty dropping in ocean objects (small shells we had on hand) and these animals to see which will go down in the sand. Ask kids some questions before you drop them in – to get them thinking like scientists:
- what will happen when we drop the shellin the water
- will anything float in the water
- do you think all the items will stay in the same layer
- which will float in the oil
Sand Science Experments
The answer will vary as it all depends on the weight of the objects we are using. We had some ocean objects on the sand, some floated in the water for a few minutes, and the whale, starfish, and the sea plant floated in the oil. lots of pics in action and themed ones.
Beach Theme Preschool Activities
While results will vary depending on the objects you have, we found the shells all sunk along with many plastic animals. Lighter items like this whale floated. Add in a straw, where would it end up?
The sand represents the ocean floor, the water is the ocean water, the oil is the sky, and the white shaving cream is the clouds.
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Huge Ocean Unit (250+ pages)
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- more ocean activities for kids
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Activity
- Summer Sandcastle Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Printable Activity
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- Lemon Volcano is a fun Summer Experiment for kids of all ages
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Simple Newton’s Cradle Science Experiment
- Ice Cream Volcano Experiment – Summer Experiment for Kids
- EPIC Mentos and Soda Experiment
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- DIY Water Xylophone Activity – Sound Science Experiment for Kids
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Easy Button Crafts for Kids
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- First Day of Summer Printable Hat
- Watermelon Rhyming Activities for Kindergarten
- Practice making letters with this hands-on Watermelon Printables
- Count to 20 with these Watermelon Summer Playdough Mats
- Smore Skip Counting Activity
- Count to 10 Vegetable Printables
- Counting Farm Animals Worksheets
- Zoo Animal Worksheets
- Summer Maze Kindergarten Sight Word Worksheets
- Summer Counting Clip Cards
- Printable Summer Math Worksheets
- Grab these Summer Free Printable Bookmarks and a book off our Kindergarten Book List