Children will have fun learning about animal habitats for kids with this super cute, FREE printable Animal Habitats Matching Activity. This animal habitat activities for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students has two parts – matching animal cards AND sorting animal cookies by habitat. Simply print pdf file with animal printables and you are ready to play and learn about animal activity for kids with this habitat activities for kindergarten.
Animal habitat activities for preschool
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this low prep, easy animal habitat activities for kindergarten. Use this animal habitats for kids as a science center, summer learning, or hands-on learning activity that works as an enrichment to any science curriculum or program you use. Use this animal habitat project with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This is such a great way to help kids learn about animal habitats! This LOW PREP activity works great on its own or paired with kid favorite animal crackers.
Animal habitat project for kindergarten
Animal habitat activities for kindergarten
Now print the 5 pages in color. I suggest laminating the habitat activities kindergarten for durability. Then cut out each item.
animal habitat activities
Kids will learn about the animals that live in these 9 animal habitats kindergarten:
- desert for kids – camel, kit fox, gerboa, horned viper
- coniferous forest for kids – fox, squirrel, weasel
- rainforest for kids – monkey, tiger, butterfly toucan
- australian woodlands for kids – beetle, dingo, koala, possum
- mountains for kids – cougar, jack rabbit, sheep, frog
- river, lake, or marsh for kids – hippo, herring gull, crab
- grasslands for kids – giraffee, zebra, bison, lion, elephant
- arctic for kids – polar bear, arctic cod, ringed seal
- ocean for kids – stingray, shark, eel, fish
animal habitats for preschoolers
This animal activity for kids is such a fun, simple habitat activities for kids. They will sort the animals onto the correct habitat mat.
HINT: This activity is color coded so students will match all the items with the same colored border. This makes this habitats activity perfect for kindergarten science.
habitat activities for preschoolers
You can do the activity as a simple printable sorting activity as pictured above, but for a more playful engaging actiity for young learners – try using animal crackers! My kids loved using animal cookies to make the activity even more fun! Kids can practice sorting animal cookies by habitats. This activity was made so that we have the correct habitat for every animal in a box / bag of animal crackers!
We liked to combine the activities. First we sorted our animal cookies by habitats. Then, we sorted the remaining animals onto their correct habitat mat.
Look for more animal themed activites? You will love these free printable ideas:
- Animal Uppercase Letter Tracing
- Super cute, Free Printable Animal Masks Templates Masks for kids
- Animal Activities for Kids with Animal Cookies
- Forest Animal Printable Finger Puppets
- Free Animal Classifications Worksheet to turn into FUN Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of choices inlcluding simple picture clues for young kids and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc
- Animal Activity – Spelling animal names with magentic letters and printable
- Animal Classification Worksheet to cut & paste
- Safari Animal Game Count to 30
- Animal Connect the Dots Printable
- Free Woodland Animal Matching Game
- Hibernation Worksheet – Learn about these fascinating animals from around the world that hibernate during the cold winter months
- Endangered Animals Worksheet – Children will love learning about these fascinating animals from around the world that are sadly endangered animals
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
habitat activities for kindergarten
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Pasta Animal Crafts for Kids w/ Free Templates
- Animals and their Babies Matching Game
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Free Printable Nocturnal Animal Games
- Zoo Animal Math Worksheets to work on Number Sense
- Animals and their Young Ones Worksheet
- Free Zoo Animal Report Templates for all ages from Toddler, preschool to elementary age students too
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheet – several leveral to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Animal Habitats for Kids with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Animal Habitats Worksheet
- Animal habitats kindergarten worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Fun-to-Color and Educational Biomes Coloring Pages
- Endangered Animals Find the Letter Worksheets
- Reading Comprehension about Animals for Grade 1 and Kindergarten
- Animal Alphabet Worksheets
Animals for Kids
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts arranged by type of animals
- Nocturnal Animals Worksheet – Learn about nocturnal animals with this huge pack
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet Pack
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Life CYcle of a Bee Worksheet
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles Worksheets – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Free Printable Animal Habitat Game with colorful pictures, facts, and gameboard
- Animal I Spy Printables
- Life Cycle of a Bunny Worksheet
- Shark Printables Reader to learn about sharks for kids
- Zoo Animal Color by Number Worksheet
Looking for more fun, hands on science experiments for kindergartners? You will love these kindergarten science projects:
- Water Balloon Density Experiment
- Red White and Blue Science Project
- Heart Salt Crystals Experiment
- Egg Density Experiment
- Fizzing Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Experiment
- Coloring Flowers Science Experiment
- Month-by-Month Science Experiments for Kindergartners
- Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
animal habitats for kindergarten
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to grab their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Thank you for sharing all of your hard work. We really love your resources and appreciate you very much. God’s blessings in an abundance!
Thank you; we are honored to help!
YOU’RE THE BEST