Learn about 15 fascinating mammal animals while improving reading comprehension with these FREE reading comprehension worksheets. These free worksheets are a great way for kindergartners and first graders to practice and improve their reading comprehension, vocabulary, writing skills, and letter and word recognition – which is an important part of learning to read.
Reading Comprehension Worksheets
Use these free worksheets to practice and improve reading comprehension, vocabulary and writing. Also, through completing these worksheets children will be practicing their reading skills, as well as their understanding and making sense of material that they read. These are important skills that they will need later in life. These simple, yet thorough worksheets are a wonderful tool for young children to help improve their literacy skills.
These are such a great way to help kindergarten and grade 1 students improve reading skills. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these will come in hand for literacy centers in your classroom, seat work, extra practice, and a supplement to your reading curriculum.
You find our other reading comprehension printables and activities here!
Kindergarten Reading Comprehension Worksheets
Each reading passage is followed by exercises which for younger students focus on recalling information directly from the text and for older students focus on prediction, inference and character traits. Learn about fifteen different mammals with this amazing free Mammal themed reading comprehension pack.
Reading Comprehension Exercises
To complete these reading comprehension activities, children will read the four sentences in the box at the top of the page. Then they will answer three multiple choice questions below. They can circle the answer and then practice their handwriting by writing the answer on the line provided.
HINT: These worksheets could be laminated and held together with a ring. Then children can use a dry-erase marker to complete the activities. This is especially handy if you are using them in your first grade or kinder classroom for a literacy or science center.
To increase their learning, they could also read books about each of the themes that are noted on the worksheets. If there are any words that they haven’t come across before, they could learn how to use a dictionary and find the meanings of these words.
You may also enjoy these other great activities:
Look for more animal themed activites? You will love these free printable ideas:
- Animal Uppercase Letter Tracing
- Super cute, Free Printable Animal Masks Templates Masks for kids
- Animal Activities for Kids with Animal Cookies
- Forest Animal Printable Finger Puppets
- Free Animal Classifications Worksheet to turn into FUN Cootie Catchers
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of choices inlcluding simple picture clues for young kids and more complex animal classification, biomes, endangered threat, etc
- Animal Activity – Spelling animal names with magentic letters and printable
- Animal Classification Worksheet to cut & paste
- Safari Animal Game Count to 30
- Animal Connect the Dots Printable
- Free Woodland Animal Matching Game
- Hibernation Worksheet – Learn about these fascinating animals from around the world that hibernate during the cold winter months
- Endangered Animals Worksheet – Children will love learning about these fascinating animals from around the world that are sadly endangered animals
- Ocean Animals for Kids – over 240 pages organized into 7 lessons to study aquatic animals using easy-to-understand text, hands-on science experiments, fun worksheets, and more with K-8th grade students.
- Jungle Animal Coloring Pages
- Pasta Animal Crafts for Kids w/ Free Templates
- Animals and their Babies Matching Game
- Animal Homes for Kids Clip Cards
- Farm Animals and their Homes Flip Book
- Free Printable Nocturnal Animal Games
- Zoo Animal Math Worksheets to work on Number Sense
- Animals and their Young Ones Worksheet
- Free Zoo Animal Report Templates for all ages from Toddler, preschool to elementary age students too
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheet – several leveral to choose from toddler, prek, elementary and middle school
- Animal Habitats for Kids with Animal Cookies
- Silly Animals and their Animal Habitats Worksheet
- Animal habitats kindergarten worksheets to complete with circle stickers
- Fun-to-Color and Educational Biomes Coloring Pages
- Endangered Animals Find the Letter Worksheets
- Reading Comprehension about Animals for Grade 1 and Kindergarten
- Animal Alphabet Worksheets
Animals for Kids
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts arranged by type of animals
- Nocturnal Animals Worksheet – Learn about nocturnal animals with this huge pack
- Forest Animals Themed Worksheets
- Arctic Animals Themed Worksheets
- Desert Animals Themed Worksheets
- Pond Worksheets for Kids
- Turkey Life Cycle Worksheets
- Salmon Life Cycle Worksheet Pack
- Life Cycle of an Ant
- Life CYcle of a Bee Worksheet
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet
- Hatching Butterflies with Free Life Cycle of a Butterfly Worksheet and observation journal
- Life Cycles Worksheets – a growing collection with over 20 different animals to explore from penguins to sunflowers, salmon, butterfly, and more!
- Free Printable Animal Habitat Game with colorful pictures, facts, and gameboard
- Animal I Spy Printables
- Life Cycle of a Bunny Worksheet
- Shark Printables Reader to learn about sharks for kids
- Zoo Animal Color by Number Worksheet
Free Reading Comprehension Worksheets
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.